Tell me the benefits of running please

Options
ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
I'm so back and forth between which cardio exercise to tackle.
Please tell me what benefits you got from running? And how long should each session be to feel it?
Thank you!

Replies

• Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Running is great, I used it and still do for boxing conditioning. It made me lose weight, really adds to your legs if you are pushing it or adding weight. It is probably the best thing for your overall stamina and you get to see the sunrise over wherever you live. And I used my running time to become fluent in German and Italian and listen to countless audio books.

The duration depends on experience/weight/ect just test to see what you can do and go from there.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Benefits... My heart and lungs say there are many. My knee disagrees. Running is pretty boring mentally, thank goodness for yt and podcasts. If the zombies come, I am ready to run. I have decent endurance and speed. The terrain programs on newer treadmills are fantastic and really helped my real world hiking.

I also row for cardio and when the rowing is good, it is good. Fantastic full body workout. Recommend some good folk metal and row them boats! Just watch your form.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started running daily about a year ago. Within that year span my legs are much more toned, my endurance is higher than ever, and my mood is lifted. That's just the beginning. My resting heart rate is that of an athlete and I give it to being in such good cardiovascular shape (thanks to the running). My lung capacity had improved drastically, and I have asthma!! I think running overall is a benefit to health.

I would say hit start with a small goal like running a mile non stop, etc. We aren't sure of your ability right now but my suggestion is start out slow. It's taken me a whole year and I still need to walk a bit to complete a 5k.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The best tie things about running for me are the convenience and the improvements. You can run anywhere without minimal fuss and preparation and in any weather. I fit runs in v early before my partner leaves for work, I run in the dark, rain, snow whatever. I needed to know that I had no excuses and that I had to commit. On the odd occasion the weather is good and there's daylight, it feels like bliss!
    The progress you make is really rewarding. I knew that I wouldn't do it if it hurt so I started v gradually (10 steps running, 10 walking, over 30 minutes to start). I added more running each week. Once I as up to running for 30 mins, I started training plans for races. (Now training for a marathon ). The whole time I'm making progress and I'm only competing against myself.
    Third thing - I almost enjoy it now too!
  • MegSchuy16
    MegSchuy16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP again about 3wks ago... I have knee and back problems, but I love jogging and didn't want to stop. Since I started up again... I am almost able to lightly jog a mile and I can say it has definitely improved my lungs. When I started I could barely run for a minute without gasping for breath or my chest burning. All those things have subsided and now I can't get enough. Hoping within the next month I can jog a mile without stopping.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper than therapy
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running gives me space to clear my head, it's good for stress. It's also helped lower my blood pressure and improve my cardiovascular fitness and endurance significantly. Clearly it's not the only option for the latter two, but it's the only one I've found that helps to clear the head as much.

I trail run by preference, so being out in nature is soothing. I saw three deer over two runs at the weekend.

It does increase the spurious noise from non runners telling me it's bad for the knees though. It's not.

I also enjoy races, trail half marathons and marathons for me. They're good fun, lots of friendly people and a bit of a laugh.
  • desarenezitic
    desarenezitic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Running is great, I started in January on the back of doing no exercise at all, I'm 35 and running once a week (looking to up it to twice now). First few times were horrendous, couldn't breathe, frequent stops but now I'm doing 5K in just under 30 minutes, with maybe one stop for a few seconds. Benefits are that I feel so much better, I feel fit & healthy and I genuinely enjoy getting out for a run.

I joing MFP because I was tarting to lose weigth and I don't want to do that (I'm a 6'1" guy, weighing around 10st8 or 66/67kgs).
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you can pick a target such as a half marathon or a 10k, get a suitable training plan and then work to that goal. This keeps you on track and motivated.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love that you can just throw on a pair of trainers and go. I love that it gets me outdoors rain or shine. I love that I can take my dog with me and we can exercise together, watching him lope about in front keeps me going. I love that your goal can be as personal as you like, that you can just work on beating your own time or distance rather than someone else's. I love the feeling you get when you finish a race (or even just a long run). I love that as an added bonus to all of the above it helps me stay on track of weight loss.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

^This.

Plus you are more likely to survive a zombie apocalypse as a runner.

Srsly. It's you get a good work out for low cost with minimal equipment. I love running when on holiday and visiting new cities - It's a great exercise when travelling on business.

I feel that I can get a decent work out with 20 mins or above of running, but if I mix sprints and hill climbs into that I can get a good intensive work out with warm up and cool down in 15 mins.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

^This.

Plus you are more likely to survive a zombie apocalypse as a runner.

Srsly. It's you get a good work out for low cost with minimal equipment. I love running when on holiday and visiting new cities - It's a great exercise when travelling on business.

I feel that I can get a decent work out with 20 mins or above of running, but if I mix sprints and hill climbs into that I can get a good intensive work out with warm up and cool down in 15 mins.

My favourite way to take in a new city.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Running has been great for me - it's cheap (except for the shoes) and easy to get started (love C25K) and it does amazing things for my mood. I started to run about 5 years ago when my mum was sick and I think it's one of the things that helped keep me going through a very tough time with three months in hospice before she passed away.

I really enjoy the big community races (anyone in WA doing the Gallipoli or HBF runs?). Signing up for a race helps to keep me motivated to get outside and exercise, even now, in autumn, when the days are getting shorter and it's dark at 6am and it's just rained for the first time in forever. I will never be fast, but even so, there are some amazing races to participate in - I spent the last new year's eve running through the streets of Barcelona with a view of the Sagrada Familia in the distance, which was magical. My favourite before that was the Wings for Life race - which is held worldwide at exactly the same time (I'm very annoyed that they moved that to the other side of the country from me).

It has definitely helped with my weight loss and my general fitness. I think part of it is that I know I can run better when I'm a few kg lighter, so that's good motivation to watch my eating. And I like to add extra cals on running days, that gives me more flexibility with what I eat/drink. And of course the cardio exercise itself is good for my heart and my muscles.

I love to listen to podcasts or audiobooks while I run, so there's an entertainment factor for me too.

As to how long... that depends where you are starting from. For someone completely unfit like me - C25K for 30ish mins, 3 times a week is great. As you build up or if you are training for a specific event or distance you will have specific goals to meet that will almost certainly change this.

If you are going to get started running, I have a few bits of advice:
    - don't overlook the importance of good shoes and a good supportive bra (if you are built that way).
    - don't start too fast, get going slowly and work on your style and endurance, speed can come later.
    - good core strength really helps me run better, faster and with less injury.
    - if you are hurting, then rest, monitor it and, if it doesn't get better seek professional advice to identify the problem, and advice on how to go forward.

• ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm the op here. Thanks for all your responses! I'm convinced now :) Glad I returned my insanity workout!