Anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate snacking?

Options
I find my biggest sabatoge is snacking. I can keep to my healthy eating schedule, but then I snack when there's nothing to do. Anyone have any suggestion on how to curb snacking?

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    keep your hands busy with something else in the evenings?
    do you like being 'crafty'? knitting, crochetting, quilting, cross stitch etc... great 'busy' things to do with your hands while watching tv in the evening, and you just cannot munch while doing them.. *L*
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Consider intermittent fasting.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    plan ahead, have baggies of cut up veggies handy to grab (I always have some for after work to snack on during my commute home so I don't walk in the house STARVING)

don't have bad snacks in the house, only good ones (veggies, nuts, etc)

always have water next to you, when you have the urge to put something in your mouth take a sip

I've started keeping sparkling mineral water in the house and in the evenings I have a couple tall glasses of it, sometimes with lime wedges in it (and when I'm naughty I toss in some wine to make it a sparkling wine cooler)

get up early, go to bed early, helps to cut down on late night snacking

brush your teeth when you're done eating for the night
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    so I don't eat snacks at work. I eat 1/2 my breakfast at home and then my other 1/2 within the first 30 minutes of getting to work about 8:30 am. 10:00am I go for a 20 minute walk which takes away my hunger if I have any. At 11:00am I start eating a salad slowly it will normally last me about 30 to 45 minutes depending on what I am doing at work. Then at Noon I go walking for 30 more minutes wiht a walking group. When I return at 12:30 I drink lots of water and my I am not hungry. Then at 1 or 1:30 I will go heat up my lunch packed with protein and veggies. I will slowly eat that taking 30 minutes or more to eat. by the time I done it's nearly 2 pm and I am way full. I won't eat again until dinner time. This is what works best for me. I have been doing it for 6 months now and I've had great results. I always have tons of fruit on my desk and in my purse so anytime I need something I always have it on hand as well.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I accept that I'm a snacker and I plan for it. I follow what I call the 100/500 plan. 100 calories for snacks - AM, PM, Evening and up to 500 for 3 meals. If I eat fewer calories for my meals, I eat them as snacks in the evening. I am the way I am and if I plan for it, I don't need to feel guilty. Plus, it keeps my blood sugars regulated.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • lanie25
    lanie25 Posts: 42
    Options
    Don't have snacks in your house!!!! But realistically, do try to distract yourself, by reading, exercising, gardening, phone a friend, or go online here and chat! I'm trying to 'break' my habit of snacking, and I know it is hard work. Good luck! Let us know how you are doing!
  • snaught
    snaught Posts: 8
    Options
    I snack on unsweetened banana chips... still high in natural sugars but better than chips! And they satisfy the craving for crunchy. Also, ration out your portion BEFORE you take it to the couch, haha. Put a cup of banana chips, etc, in a bowl, and take that with you... avoid grabbing full bags of stuff or full boxes of snacks because you will definitely overeat!

When my urge to snack is completely ridiculous... I get online and look at clothes haha. Sounds dumb-- but keeps my mind busy, and my hands busy clicking, and I'm not in front of the TV craving. Forever21 has a ton to browse through =)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Plan your snacks.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Plan your snacks.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat dry air-popped popcorn with a bit of vinnegar and salt when I'm snacky. Delicious, low in calories, and a ton of eating for relatively few calories. Better than chips any day!

Also try having water on hand, maybe with a flavouring like Crystal Lite.
  • Lholford
    Lholford Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tootsie Pops.....only 60 calories and takes you forever to finish :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    If you're about to snack, make a cup of tea instead (any type). It really helps make you feel full and the craving will pass!
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have started 'planning' my snacks. If I know I must have certain things in the afternoon I'll cut a few things out of my meals to allow for the extra calories. Now I'm working on choosing the best yet tasty snacks .... And I NEVER sit down w/ a full bag of anything. If the bag says one serving is 23 pieces, I pull out 23 pieces and savor every bite! Hope that helps.
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have started 'planning' my snacks. If I know I must have certain things in the afternoon I'll cut a few things out of my meals to allow for the extra calories. Now I'm working on choosing the best yet tasty snacks .... And I NEVER sit down w/ a full bag of anything. If the bag says one serving is 23 pieces, I pull out 23 pieces and savor every bite! Hope that helps.