See any health improvements from weight loss?

Options
I'm curious, do you see any improvements? After how many lbs loss?

I'm having better sleep lately.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My GERD went away.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I started January 6. I've lost 39lbs.

I used to have to take Prevacid every single day to prevent severe heartburn, acid reflux. Now I only take one if I know I'm gonna overdo it.

I also just had my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure tested. The cholesterol has dropped about 30 points. The blood sugar was fine all along and still fine. But my bp was consistently 145/96 before. Now it's 116/69.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I just remembered something else-my resting heart rate has gone down from 99 to 72.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    My GERD went away.

This.
    And better breathing,
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    But my bp was consistently 145/96 before. Now it's 116/69.

That's amazing. My bp progresses exactly like that, too. I'm stoked. Do you still feel tension headache, if you had it before? It's much less for me now.

My resting HR is consistently around 60, 61.

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

That's amazing. My bp progresses exactly like that, too. I'm stoked. Do you still feel tension headache, if you had it before? It's much less for me now.

My resting HR is consistently around 60, 61.

I didn't before. I get the occasional headache or migraine. Always have, no matter my weight. But nothing bp related.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs in the past (gained it back slowly, losing it again) and I saw a noticeable difference in my blood pressure. Since I've recently gained it back again I have also noticed it once again increased. At my heaviest weight it would be 140/90, and after I lost 30 lbs it went down to about 120-130/80~
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds, and knee and back pain is gone; the former disappeared as soon as I started losing weight, the latter I realised was gone some time after I had entered maintenance.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    After 15kg gone (8 of which since start of January using MFP) my liver values are finally starting to be down at an acceptable level. Still too high. But doc told me that for every kg I manage to lose, it will improve even more. :smile:
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? A MILLION THINGS! I lost 125 lbs.

1. No more sore knees or back
    2. Breathing easily and freely
    3. No more crazy mood swings
    4. Self-esteem, self-image improved
    5. Better sex
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have more energy
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    more energy
    leveled blood pressure.
    no more borderline diabetes
    more active
    less headaches
    better sleep after a workout def.
    less foot and knee pain from weight
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

My bp and heart rate have also decreased. I still get tension headaches, but I tend to be a high stress/anxiety person.

My acid reflux wasn't starting to get bad before losing weight, and I have only had a couple of attacks since I started losing. This is also true of my interstitial cystitis.

My knees don't bother me nearly as much.
  • formerfatman
    formerfatman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After losing 180+ pounds my triglycerides went from 280 down to 55, BP went from an average of 176/82 to 112/68 and total cholesterol went from 238 to 162.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've lost around 50lbs and have been in maintenance for 3 years now. Biggest thing has been the stabilization of my glucose numbers. They were in prediabetes territory, but since I started transitioning into maintenance in 2013 they've consistently been in the 80s :) Other things-better sleep, better sex drive, better cholesterol numbers (last panel put my triglycerides at a 49), varicose veins have calmed down, more energy and I'm more comfortable in my own skin/self confidence has improved.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    30+ point drop in total cholesterol (LDL was also down) after 26 lbs. lost.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Amazing how beneficial a weight loss is. I was getting very annoyed by my pre hypertension bp and sore knees, among other things. Both of those issues are much better now.

In hindsight I realized I'm not really that much into foods. The overweight was just the combination of not knowing the portions (blind driving) and eating for stress, pressure and lack of activities, etc. That was a high cost to my health.

Weight loss is better than any medication.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    lost 36 lbs, and 2 inches off my hips. Feel like my "Core" is tighter doing aqua aerobics in a community pool. The way I eat is so different, cleaner, and I feel more powerful! Not bad for a 53 yr old lady!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've lost 77lbs, and more than 12 inches overall.

I have more stamina. My migraines have been cured (without medication), my hormones are more regular (good by BC pills). I sleep better, my pre-diabetes is gone and I have a normal A1C, and am off of my metformin. My skin is clearer and less flushed. My eczema is reduced. I still have a long way to go, but the health benefits have been enormous for me. I started noticing positive changes around 15lb lost. I noticed many more when I cut out carbs.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in August 2015. Been in maintence since. Off all Rx medication. Sleep better, Can exercise for as long as I like, more energy.