Sugars in bananas

Options
I'm trying to lose fat and I eat a lot of bananas (shakes make for easy meals) but I'm always over my cap for sugar. Like double due to almost 5 bananas a day.

I'm reading online that this isn't bad at all but I wanted someone to verify. http://www.forksoverknives.com/sugar-in-fruit-good-or-bad-for-you/

Replies

• tangohitman
    tangohitman Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bottom Line: There is a lot of evidence that large amounts of fructose can cause harm when consumed in excess. However, this depends on the dosage and context and does not apply to fruit.

anyone vouch for this claim?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with fruit, it's a great source of energy and fibre as well as lots of other goodies.

But, like all other foods, balance is the key. I wouldn't eat 5 pieces of fruit a day, that seems a bit excessive to me (Aussie health guidelines suggest 2 fruit and 5 veg), although without knowing your overall calorie goal, it's hard to generalise.

I also think that variety is important - different foods provide different nutrients and that's important for good health. Is there any reason why you are eating so much of a single kind of food?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're fine, but please please please stop getting your information from anything that has to do with Forks Over Knives. It's literally the biggest piece of garbage, sad excuse for a documentary that is in existence.
  • tangohitman
    tangohitman Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    You're fine, but please please please stop getting your information from anything that has to do with Forks Over Knives. It's literally the biggest piece of garbage, sad excuse for a documentary that is in existence.

lol thanks, good to know.

@pebble4321 thanks for your reply. i make two shakes a day which includes two bananas each
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

lol thanks, good to know.

@pebble4321 thanks for your reply. i make two shakes a day which includes two bananas each

Yea you're totally fine. Sugars are not something that you need to keep track of or even limit as long as you have a normal functioning healthy body i.e. don't have diabetes, pre-diabetes, PCOS, or insulin resistance. What is far far more important is that you track total carbohydrate intake and keep that to a reasonable amount.
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose fat and I eat a lot of bananas (shakes make for easy meals) but I'm always over my cap for sugar. Like double due to almost 5 bananas a day.

I'm reading online that this isn't bad at all but I wanted someone to verify. http://www.forksoverknives.com/sugar-in-fruit-good-or-bad-for-you/

Ikr. Why cant the app distinguish sucrose, fruicose and lactose?!?!?!
  • brrrimcold1984
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ftr. Fruit/veg sugar, artificial sugar and milk sugar. Bull.
  • brrrimcold1984
    Options
    Switch artificial and fruit.
  • brrrimcold1984
    Options
    I ignore sugar warnings. "You ate 2 cups of broccoli, you're over your sugar max of
    "
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Ikr. Why cant the app distinguish sucrose, fruicose and lactose?!?!?!

Because
    A) nutrition labels don't so how is the App to know? And
    B ) it doesnt matter to begin with.
  • SJBanks89
    SJBanks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I ignore sugar warnings. "You ate 2 cups of broccoli, you're over your sugar max of
    "

LOL ^^ this! I feel like i get told off for eating too many sprouts..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "

You can turn those off in the app. Just go to settings, diary settings and uncheck show diary food insights.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's recommended we have 3 fruits a day. You can easily go over your sugars just by following the health guidelines. lol
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bananas. I eat a couple per day usually. I was fat. Now I'm lean. All while eating bananas regularly. Was it wizardry? Nope.

#proofisinthepudding
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bananas. I eat a couple per day usually. I was fat. Now I'm lean. All while eating bananas regularly. Was it wizardry? Nope.

#proofisinthepudding

Banana pudding. <nods>