Moving Naturally

Options
Working on class project-"Moving Naturally". This is not about going to the gym, but everyday natural movements. I am walking, cutting grass, etc. But would like to do other things as well. Need something that does not require a lot of time, as I work fill-time and go to school. ILive in GA, have plans to go canoeing soon. Would like suggestions. Thanks MFP.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lifting things from floor to over your head, like onto a shelf. Moving furnitur. Climbing Stairs. Bending over. What do you do in your day?
  • barb_136
    barb_136 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work with animals. So I am lifting, bending and moving most of the day. When I leave work I am in the library until after dark, then I go home and walk my dog. Hopefully after this semester, I will have found other ways to move naturally. I am getting bored with what I am currently doing. Thanks for responding.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm not picking up on the point of the project. Are you developing exercises based around natural movement? Resistance exercises? Cardio?

Are you looking to learn new "everyday natural movements" or looking to be inspired by movements most people use?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Gardening makes me sweaty. Plant some veggies?
  • barb_136
    Options
    Wonko221- The purpose of the project is to follow one of the strategies in the Blue Zones Power of 9.
    In the Blue Zones people are known to be the happiest and live longer. The Blue Zones are also the home of many centenarians. Many living longer because of their natural movement, such as gardening,
    Walking and riding bikes.
    Panda_Popta... Between the deer, squirrels and ants, I don't think it would be advantageous for me to start a garden. However, I do enjoy being out in the yard doing landscaping with 'PAVERS'.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Dancing, hiking, swimming?
  • Poe_Is_Chris
    Poe_Is_Chris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting into Yoga. Once you get slightly more into it, you become more flexible and fluid. Your mind is more at ease throughout the day and it directly translates into almost anything else physical you do. Running became easier and my training became more fluid. Bending over will be much easier when you can squat down and lift with no resistance to your body. Also, kung fu kicks are awesome no?

Also because I'm biased look into Parkour (beginner stretches/conditioning) :p because everything we do is body resistance OUTSIDE of the gym.

Capoeira (think dancing martial art) is another great one to help with fluidity and stretching with some body resistance mixed in.

If you want to build strength like a bad mammer jammer, purchase a home doorway pull up bar (usually under $30) and look into Calisthenics training. Again, all body weight training, and even the beginner exercises are sure to give you a great challenge in a crunch for time.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get most of my 10-12K steps from cleaning my house and taking a couple of short walks. OK, so it's a big house, but still. Laundry up and down the stairs, squatting to clean bathrooms, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, climbing ladders to dust ceilings.

Add tending to chickens, dumping compost scraps, turning compost, walking the dog.

In the better weather, there is mowing and gardening - even just digging in a small flower garden a half hour every couple of days. BTW, there are deer resistant plants. I don't know anything about ants except they seem to like my peonies but don't do them any harm. And darn those squirrels!

When I lived in an urban environment, I walked to the grocery store and laundromat with a granny cart. Biked to work and school, walked instead of taxis or subways.

I hope you can use some of these ideas but I suspect the cultures to which you are referring arrange their entire lives differently. It is such an interesting idea! I'm going to be reading up on this so thanks for sharing!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    barb_136 wrote: »
    Need something that does not require a lot of time, as I work fill-time and go to school.

If your days are mostly sedentary, that is not what the "blue zone" lifestyle is like, so you might consider compensating by adding higher-intensity activities, like strength training and HIIT or sports. :+1:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Dancing!

Walking instead of driving, stairs instead of elevator, carrying the handbasket at the grocery instead of pushing the cart. Lifting your kids, cleaning, sex.

I like to exercise, too, I like yoga and don't think intentional exercise done for the purpose of maintaining your body is unnatural, it's practiced by many cultures. But vigorous dancing would be enough to keep me happy if I could do it everyday, and I am pretty sure that's part of every culture.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Stand instead of sit. Carry books. Climb stairs.
  • barb_136
    Options
    Excited about all the suggestions and the feedback. I am definitely interested in trying yoga. Saw several comments on dancing. Yes... as much as I used to love to dance, didn't really look at it as fitness. But it's such a natural thing for me to do. Time for me to get my groove on again.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Barefoot hiking and Barefoot trail running. It will work muscles, tendons and ligaments that have atrophied for years inside shoes. Also does wonders for the calves, Achilles' tendons, core, etc. There is increased proprioception and with correct form, much less impact on the joints than when wearing shoes. But ease into it slowly, it's very challenging yet incredibly rewarding.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Have you read "Natural Born Heroes"?

I suspect it will be right up your street...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Running from the cops.

police-chase.jpg