Weight bench/Barbell advice?

Options
olyrose
olyrose Posts: 569 Member
I want to get a weight bench and weights to use at home. I've been looking at different ones online, but I feel like the more options I look at, the more I realize I don't know what I should be looking for.

I'm definitely a beginner, but want something that I can build strength with and that will hold up. I don't want to make a huge investment in them, so am hoping to find something in a lower price range.

Any recommendations on brands, or advice on what key words/size/whatever I should look for?

Thanks!

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    anything from rogue fitness will be good.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Check out Craig's list and other classified sales site in your area or I have found a fair amount of weight related equipment at Play it Again Sports stores. A lot depends on the program you are going to be doing as to what equipment you may need. The bench we use in our gym is similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-99226-Power-Olympic-Bench/dp/B014LHY6UM
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    What you're looking for is really dependent on personal tastes. There are so many design styles and purpose built weights that it's impossible to break it down to what's best for you. To me, dumbbells are dumbbells. I prefer the rubber coated ones to cut down on noise and they're a little more durable. Some people like the adjustable sets. That way, they can adjust the weight for each exercise without having to buy a bunch of different weights. Some people don't like those and complain about the durability. I'd say, just go into the sporting goods store, test some out and see what you like.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. Seriously, I tried cheap before.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to spend? If you're willing to put down some extra cash then Rogue has really nice equipment. If you wanna go cheap, whatever looks good on craigslist (I have gotten some crazy deals there before).
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you have room and are willing to spend a little more upfront a basic squat cage, a decent barbell and a flat bench will take you a really long ways. You can bench in the cage and have built in catches as well as being able to easily squat & OHP.

I bought a bench from Sears a few years back and it's alright. I believe it's a Weider something and it's solidly built, can do flat bench, incline, also has a leg extension/curl and preacher curl setup on it. I want to say it was ~$300 with a bar and ~250 or 300# of weights? Downsides are its bulky, and changing between the setups isn't super fast. How bulky? Let's just say a power cage would take up less space if my basement's ceiling wasn't so low.

But I also suggest checking CL as there are deals to be had sometimes.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Rogue.