Options

Replies

• therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast and lunch in the mornings and log snacks and dinner as I go. I feel like if I have my breakfast and lunch prepared and logged, I'm good for the rest of the day. If not, I feel like I'm off all day. Maybe I'm weird..lol..but it works. o:)
  • kepoor
    kepoor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me it depends, but I usually log the day before or morning of. Or this week, I know what I have planned out for my breakfast, lunch and snacks at work, so I pre-log almost the whole work week. The thing I like about pre-logging is I know exactly where I stand, so if I want a little treat in the evening or midday, I know I can "afford" it because I already have my whole day planned out.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Throughout the day, when I eat. I don't get how people pre-log. I would forget which meal I was on! LOL. I eat ~300 calories 4-5 times per day (preference), and the same things a lot of the time, so maybe I could pre-log if I ate the more traditional breakfast/lunch/dinner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    becknomad wrote: »
    I'm curious when people log their foods. I'm logging throughout the day and it just struck me that this might contribute to counting calorie burn-out which I've experienced before...Do most people plan what they are eating every day in advance and only log once a day? I am making meals by the seat of my pants and when I'm tired and hungry at dinner time I'm not doing the best job measuring. Do most people know what they are having for dinner tonight? ;)

I just consider writing down food weights as part of food prep and don't get counting burnout.

Most of the time I log as I eat. I usually have the same breakfasts and lunches. I cook dinner four nights a week when my fiance is here, and those nights I note what I'm going to eat and log it after he leaves. I have leftovers the other three nights. I'm having chicken, potato, and broccoli tonight.

I currently work from home. When I worked in an office, I batch-cooked on Sundays so food was already prepared for Monday-Thursday.
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I plan my day in the morning and log everything I anticipate eating. As I go through out the day I will make adjustments to quantity or if I make a meal change.
  • knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I log as soon as I know what I'm going to be eating for the day. That usually means prelogging each morning (sometimes the night before) and then making adjustments as necessary if plans change. Prelogging helps me make good choices when I do change up a meal because I can see what fits in with the rest of the day's plan.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    At maintenance, I don't log consistently.

When I did log consistently, I emphatically did not pre-log. I made entries throughout the day, then closed out every evening.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning or sometimes the night before works best for me. Planning is one of the keys to weight loss IMO.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I log the morning or day or week before as I'm planning it, then edit throughout the day as I change it.
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I pre-log on the night before, then as the day goes by I correct the measurements when I'm making whatever meal I'm having.
    Pre-logging definitely helps me stay within my calorie limit.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I log as I go throughout the day. Dinner is the biggest guessing game for me as I'm not always the person preparing it. I like to know exactly where I'm at before dinner so that I can portion my meal appropriately.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. I do sometimes pre-log, as a tool to plan for times that I know will be difficult - meals out or drinks.

I haven't thought much about long-term. I don't guess I'll log everything that goes into my mouth for the rest of my life, but I do think that once I'm in maintenance, I'll continue logging for a good long while - until it's second nature to eat approximately the right number of calories. (Will that ever happen? Surely... I'm a creature of habit. I'll eat the same 4 or 5 things almost every day.)
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast and lunch in the morning when I make them. Any extra snacks or dinner I log as I put them in my mouth.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I pre log the night before. If I log as I go along I end up going over my calories every time.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I log as I eat usually. Sometimes I'll wait until the end of the day, but having the app makes it really simple to just jump on an log as I go.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I usually log my eating plan in the morning, and then adjust a bit throughout the day if things change (this week I'm on the road though, so I'm more laid back and just tracking on paper as I eat).
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i log as i go, but, since i batch prepare most of my meals i pretty much know what my day/week looks like.
  • ummmaryam31
    ummmaryam31 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For myself, I log while I'm cooking or eating. My brain is too mushy on normal things to remember what I ate and how much etc if I logged everything in at the end of the day.
    My brain seems to like only storing things that aren't normal (like names of pharaohs)
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My wife usually logs my dinner for me when she plans it out (she cooks dinner most of the time in our house). The rest I log throughout the day. My breakfast/lunch/snacks during the day are usually very similar. My after-dinner treats are whatever I happen to have left at the end of the day.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I usually log every morning while I'm drinking my first coffee of the day. I make best guesses for what I'm going to eat all day. And then, as plans change or when I actually weigh things at dinner, I make adjustments.