Weigh less and more hungry- weird?

Options
So I started on MFP at 232, and was happily eating 1200 cals max for the first 9 months or so.
As I started getting towards 170-155(the latter is my current weight) I have been getting more hungry where 1200 cals isn't cutting it. At first I started eating back 1/2 my excersice cals, the just 2 months ago, I upped my cals to 1500 + a hundred or so of excersice calories. (My food diary is open.)

In the past 2-3 months I started doing weights 3x per week which makes me think thats one of the reasons why I'm hungrier?
Anyways, is it weird that the more fit I'm becoming the more I feel the hungries? I try to do cardio each day for at least 35-50 mins- depending on how I feel.

Any insight you have would be fabulous!
Thanks!

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but my thought is that the more lean muscle you build, the more food your body needs to fuel those lean muscles?

I find EXACTLY the same thing! The leaner I get, the hungrier I am! I eat back all of my exercise calories, and that definitely helps!
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your metabloism is working faster... your body needs the fuel :)
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    This happened to me about 3 months ago too. I think it's because you added the strength training & the cardio we do now is harder due to our fitness levels increasing.

Bottom line we must listen to our bodies. I uped my calories to 1400 and the next week I started slowly losing again! I guess I was starving for real!!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I'm almost halfway to goal and suddenly I'm starving. Part of the problem is the doctor had put me on Prednisone for a bronchial inflammation, but I've been off of it for a couple of weeks now and I'm still starving all the time. I'm very interested in an answer to your question.
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, I don't have this problem because I SUCK and can not eat healthy and WILL never be fit or thin! AAAGGGHHHHH Just had to get that out. I know you understand LOL! Love ya girlie!:happy:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, I don't have this problem because I SUCK and can not eat healthy and WILL never be fit or thin! AAAGGGHHHHH Just had to get that out. I know you understand LOL! Love ya girlie!:happy:
    Oh Hush my Sweet Friend....you do not SUCK!! Have you tried setting mini-goals for yourself? That might help spur you on ... I know it did me!

I changed my ticker to 10 lb. mini goals and WOW, it's pretty exciting to see it each time you get down 2 lbs., 5lbs., etc. Heck Kat, you can even set 5 lb goals!

I found looking at the big number I had to lose a bit overwhelming...ok SUPER overwhelming.. but with 10 lbs. and a mini reward each 10 lbs.... it was a perfect fit for me.

Been meaning to PM you about this and share the idea if you hadn't already tried it.

xoxo You know you are loved, sometimes we just get in a crummy place (mmm..cupcakes! :blushing: :tongue: :laugh: ) and have to do whatever it takes to inspire ourselves to meet those goals.

In regards to the OP question, that's not happened to me, once I cut way back on salty/sweet AKA simple carbs I was quite satisfied with what MFP gave me to eat. OK, so no one on here actually gave me anything to eat, but I think you all know what i mean:wink::tongue:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Your metabloism is working faster... your body needs the fuel :)
    Oh, very good point! Since we're dropping body weight/working out more... it does make sense we'd need more fuel and might be hungrier.

Have you tried mini meals 5-6 a day that can really help stave off the hunger and keep you satisfied. Another great thing it does is keep our blood sugars level so we DON'T get crazy hungry from the up and down of the blood sugars changing. Blood sugar drops, our body gives us the signal, time for fuel!

Good luck:wink::flowerforyou:
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    for me, lifting makes me hungrier. On days I lift I am definitely hungrier. You could go with a 100 or 200 calories more on weight lifting days and make them protein and see how that goes.