Breaking up workouts throughout the day?

Options
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you break up your workouts throughout the day and if it works for you... I never wake up early enough to do a full hour of excercise in the morning, and by the time I get home I don't really have motivation to workout a full hour, I just want to relax, so I was thinking about doing 15-20 minutes in the morning before I jump in the shower and like 30 minutes at night. Does anyone do this? Sometimes it's hard to fit in a full hour all at once, because an hour workout is always longer than an hour when you account for how long it takes you to get yourself ready and the breaks you take.

Please no rude or negative comments. I would prefer advice/stories about your own personal experience.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This works better with some exercises than it does for others. I break up my walking throughout the day. I walked 35 minutes this morning, I'll walk 20 at lunch, and then 20 more later tonight. Lifting weights, though I don't like to split up because it takes me around 15 minutes just to warm up, stretch, etc.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    its always worth a try to see what suits you. You could do a cardio session and then a body weight/dumbbell exercise session if you are doing it at home. I think it is quite common for people to split the cardio and weights sessions. I tend to jog in the morning as soon as I get up, because I enjoy it, and then lift weights at the gym in the evening (only 3 x per week though) If you don't have much time you would be able to fit in a good HIIT session for your cardio.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If that suits you I'd certainly give it a try. I'd try to split the session sensibly, in the past i regularly done this once or twice a week. Generally, I would start with cardio (running mostly) then in the evening I'd go for strength training. I really enjoyed it whilst I did it, I wouldn't recommend two high intensity sessions a day but that would be dependant on your current fitness level. With the morning session you should try to get some good stretching and foam rolling so that by the time you go back to train later you arent to stiff or sore, advisable to do the same after the evening session.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights I do in one go (at most it takes an hour

Cardio and bodyweight stuff I break up throughout the day.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights I do in one go (at most it takes an hour

Cardio and bodyweight stuff I break up throughout the day.

Same here. I like to break up my walking throughout the day and throw in squats and lunges everywhere I can. If I'm going to do a weight session I do it all at once.
  • negirl527
    negirl527 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it today. I walked in the gym for an hour today and now am going to try to do some strength training at home. It's hard for me to get re motivated later in the day. I'm telling myself ," just do twenty minutes of weights" and setting a timer.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I like to do blocks of circuits. Sometimes 4x10 of four push/pull. Sometimes I'll superset a compound move with a plyometrics move. Each circuit is about 10 minutes. They are lighter weights and more for endurance and agility.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I do out of necessity because basically all of my exercise is done at work, save hiking.

Run a mile during my first break, run 5km or 25 minutes of difficult terrain work at lunch, row 1800-2000m second break.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who splits up my walking sessions throughout the day. That works best for my schedule, and my dog loves it. I have a Garmin Vivosmart to give me "move" reminders and let me know when the small sessions have added up to my goal.