People pretend they don't know you?

Options
Clawsal
Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
Hi.

I am a university student (not High School, but one would wonder!) and attending a seminar class that only lasts a few days. A student I met at another seminar class, who I had to work with, is pretending she doesn't know me.

Yesterday I was walking with another guy and interrupted the conversation to say hi to her and she just ignored me (she was with other people). This morning, we crossed paths in the bathroom and she did say hello, but we were the only ones there.

Last week, I saw two students I have another class with, who I see every week, and we have talked (during class) a few times. I actually said hi twice, thinking they hadn't heard me, but they just looked at me like I was strange and didn't answer. Again I was with someone else who must have thought the situation very strange.

Both times I was just left there feeling stupid and wondering if I am creepy?

By the way I am a woman (so they probably don't think I am hitting on them) and only seem to have this problem with other women.

Replies

• Clawsal
    Options
    So the question is, did this ever happen to you? And why do you think this happens?

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Hi.

I am a university student (not High School, but one would wonder!) and attending a seminar class that only lasts a few days. A student I met at another seminar class, who I had to work with, is pretending she doesn't know me.

Yesterday I was walking with another guy and interrupted the conversation to say hi to her and she just ignored me (she was with other people). This morning, we crossed paths in the bathroom and she did say hello, but we were the only ones there.

Last week, I saw two students I have another class with, who I see every week, and we have talked (during class) a few times. I actually said hi twice, thinking they hadn't heard me, but they just looked at me like I was strange and didn't answer. Again I was with someone else who must have thought the situation very strange.

By the way I am a woman (so they probably don't think I am hitting on them) and only seem to have this problem with other women.

Yes, this post does make me wonder.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Yes, this post does make me wonder.

Seconded
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I grew up being taught to smile at people and be friendly when they talk to you. This does not seem to be the case anymore with the general population. People in this thread even think you are creepy for wanting to say hello. Our receptionist at work is like that. Walk in the office and she won't even look up to acknowledge you. Unless you are one of her special peeps!

It could be shyness. It could be that she didn't hear you or didn't notice you. Maybe she's all wrapped up in her own issues. Maybe she just doesn't like you. Move on. It's not worth being troubled over it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Break_You wrote: »
    Here's my question, did you really talk to all of these people before or did you just imagine it hoping it was true? Did you have a lot of imaginary friends growing up?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be such a jerk. Here's a woman feeling socially awkward and wanting some encouragement or feedback of maybe just an explanation and you come in to do what, exactly? Does it feel good? Because you're not being clever or funny or helpful...so wtf are you trying to accomplish?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    OP - don't sweat it. Just keep being friendly, and if people want to awkwardly avoid your absolutely normal attempts to be courteous, let them. Don't try to engage people in conversation if they've blown you off before, but keep saying hi and being yourself. You're fine.

Hope you're adjusting to college life well, and making some good friends. If you're feeling lonely, try joining a book club or some other group where you can meet people that share some common interests.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's my question, did you really talk to all of these people before or did you just imagine it hoping it was true? Did you have a lot of imaginary friends growing up?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be such a jerk. Here's a woman feeling socially awkward and wanting some encouragement or feedback of maybe just an explanation and you come in to do what, exactly? Does it feel good? Because you're not being clever or funny or helpful...so wtf are you trying to accomplish?

Probably had the issue himself, no-one likes being ignored by their imaginary friend I'd imagine Break_You is no different :D
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that i work at the same place as 2 people I knew in high school and I haven't talked to them. I guess I pretend I don't know them. But they pretend they don't know me too. Because they know, and I know that beyond the initial "hey what have you been doing for 25 years?" that it would pretty much end there. it's easier to not say anything.

the end.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Needs more context because whilst these people may just be complete morons, there is probably something that's been said or done to trigger this all off. Without any more information it literally just sounds like some people deciding randomly not to acknowledge you when with others. And I just can't imagine people suddenly doing that without even some sort of absurd reason that justifies it to themselves. But regardless, if that is how they react to you (or don't) you're going to be better off doing likewise and finding new people to say hello to.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have had a person I knew in one group setting for an extended period as very friendly and talkative to me. I would have said we were friends since it was beyond small talk. We met in another setting with different people and they acted as though we were not known to each other. They didn't totally ignore my existance but were very distant when we were around others. They would act friendly again in private or in the first group like nothing was different between us so it didn't seem like I offended them or they didn't really like me. The only thing I could think of was that they were trying to project authority or a different image in the new group that didn't match with being friendly to me- or they didn't want others to know about the other group and how we knew each other before... like the other group was a secret for them. It was weird and disappointing behavior. I took it as a sign that we were not really friends.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its hard to tell if someone is simply ignoring you or as so distracted that they are unaware of even where they are.
  • Clawsal
    Options

In all honsesty I was being funny in a plot twist type of way. Seriously, situations like these are probably huge factors in why there are so many on campus shootings.

Wow you have a knack for the inappropriate. Your first comment actually made me laugh but likening my situation to that of a mass shooter, that's pushing it too far.
  • Clawsal
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I have had a person I knew in one group setting for an extended period as very friendly and talkative to me. I would have said we were friends since it was beyond small talk. We met in another setting with different people and they acted as though we were not known to each other. They didn't totally ignore my existance but were very distant when we were around others. They would act friendly again in private or in the first group like nothing was different between us so it didn't seem like I offended them or they didn't really like me. The only thing I could think of was that they were trying to project authority or a different image in the new group that didn't match with being friendly to me- or they didn't want others to know about the other group and how we knew each other before... like the other group was a secret for them. It was weird and disappointing behavior. I took it as a sign that we were not really friends.

I have an "acquaintance" almost identical to this but it doesn't bother me. People that act like this are the ones with the problem and like everything else, I laugh at it to the point that it becomes a joke and I wait for it to happen again. I, personally don't look for acceptance from anyone. This is just the way people are and I accept it. People have different personalities so I can understand it being hard for some to accept.

You could have led with that when first answering this post!
  • Clawsal
    Options
    Well, say "hi" to more people. Girls have tendency to only say "hi" to other girls. Try saying "hi" to guys for a change. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Since I am a girl they should have no problem saying hi back right? :)

I do find that guys are a lot more friendly and easy to talk to (at least as a first contact). As an example, this morning, a guy from this same class caught up to me and we chatted on the way to class (10 min walk). I had only talked to him once prior to that.
  • Clawsal
    Options
    OP - don't sweat it. Just keep being friendly, and if people want to awkwardly avoid your absolutely normal attempts to be courteous, let them. Don't try to engage people in conversation if they've blown you off before, but keep saying hi and being yourself. You're fine.

Hope you're adjusting to college life well, and making some good friends. If you're feeling lonely, try joining a book club or some other group where you can meet people that share some common interests.

You absolutely got that right, I was looking for similar experiences and hopefully some encouragement/advice. Anyway kind posts like yours (and the others that shared) absolutely make up for the less supportive ones.

And I am the kind of person who would join a book club... :smile: maybe I should
  • Clawsal
    Options

In all honsesty I was being funny in a plot twist type of way. Seriously, situations like these are probably huge factors in why there are so many on campus shootings.

Wow you have a knack for the inappropriate. Your first comment actually made me laugh but likening my situation to that of a mass shooter, that's pushing it too far.

My first post as I stated was clearly a joke ( you said you even laughed). As I stated later, people have different personalities and are able to accept (or not) these things in different ways. I do believe this situation is very similar to a mass shooter situation. What do you think triggers these people to go off like they do? I think it is the lack of feeling accepted. Everything is cause and effect.

I don't know what triggers a mass shooter situation. I live in Switzerland where there haven't been any on campus shootings that I am aware of and I certainly don't feel the need to shoot someone or retaliate in any way.

And I don't think that people in Switzerland feel more accepted than in the US. The US has much more diversity and acceptance for different groups. If lack of acceptance was the trigger, why are there no mass shootings in Switzerland?