Bad back

Options
How to exercise with sciatica??

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    What is causing the sciatica? Is it a herniated disk, tight butt muscle or some other cause like an injury?
  • emzy42014
    emzy42014 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Dr just said sciatica didn't say how or why? I don't think it is. It's not in my leg just left side of my back near my butt. :(
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sciatica can be caused by a bad spinal disk, a tight muscle that's part of the gluteus muscle group, called the piriformis or sacroiliac joint problem. If it isn't caused by a disk problem, there is no real reason why you couldn't do a lot of different exercises as long as you don't cause more problems with the joint or piriformis. Did you ask your doctor what limitations you have while going through rehab to fix it?
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Doctor should have given you some exercises to do. Or refer to a physical therapist. I had to do physical therapy for three months for my lower back pain.
  • emzy42014
    emzy42014 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    He gave me a sheet of generic exercises but they won't so anything... Also genetic history of osteoporosis.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have piriformis syndrome with no disc involvement and have found that losing weight, sitting less frequently, walking often have caused my symptoms to occur less frequently and with less severity.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    see a physical therapist-get good advice and follow it
  • BalancedLondon
    BalancedLondon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine with balance and stability training on a Rooboard to improve core strength and spinal support. I also use a hard foam roller at the end of the day to remove muscle knots. The only time it comes back now is after a long day driving.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have had sciatica for 4 months now and the pain is all in my right butt cheek. I started seeing a PT who thought I had piriformis syndrome, after a few week I became worse with tingling in my foot and aches lower leg. Got an MRI of my back and it turns out I have a herniated disk that is pushing in the nerve that goes down my leg. It sucks! I can walk a bit and swim a bit but that's the only exercise for now. Good luck to you!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have been doing physical therapy and going to a chiropractor for the last couple of month for lower back pain the was going into my hip. It has gotten me back to feeling good. Not sure which one or if both have done it, but they two of them work together to help with the pain.

I will say, I went to an orthopedic doctor and he said to rest and see how it felt in a month or so and then he would send me to physical therapy. I didn't wait, and went on my own.