Binge Eating

Options
I've been so stressed out lately the past 3 days I have ate everything in site and feel absolutely terrible. I try to control it but my emotions get the best of me. Does anyone have any helpful tips to avoid this and get back on track? I've lost 62 lbs and don't want to undo all my progress.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Stop eating.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You have worked too hard losing that 62 lbs, so don't settle. Don't settle for eating crap, and food that doesn't fuel you. Don't settle for anything less than you deserve! Losing weight is a mind game, so change your mind and change your body. Embrace the phrase, "I am imperfectly perfect, and I can do this. It's one great decision on top of another, and pretty soon you have a great day, then a great week, and you are back on track. Forgive yourself, and move on. YOU GOT THIS.
  • russelfine
    russelfine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Anyone here that says stop eating is a goon! It's not that easy... I suffer/have suffered. I find the best way is to set long term goals and short term goals for myself works best. Send me a private message and I'll send you my email address if you need more support
  • LazSommer
    Options
    russelfine wrote: »
    Anyone here that says stop eating is a goon! It's not that easy... I suffer/have suffered. I find the best way is to set long term goals and short term goals for myself works best. Send me a private message and I'll send you my email address if you need more support

I may be a goon, but it boils down to stopping. I didn't say it was easy, but the answer is that simple. If you stop giving in, things get better. Sugar coating words doesn't change the end conclusion.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just stoo and move on. That food will never ever. Replace feeling good. Its never worth it. Get hobbies and do things that make you feel good without food. It helps :)
  • russelfine
    russelfine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I may be a goon, but it boils down to stopping. I didn't say it was easy, but the answer is that simple. If you stop giving in, things get better. Sugar coating words doesn't change the end conclusion.

Come back after you've struggled with an eating disorder and then we can talk about how to "just stop eating".
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out what's eating you before you start eating everything in sight. If you're bored, use distraction. Find a hobby that keeps your mind and hands busy. If you're stressed and you can't rid yourself of the source of the stress find non-food comfort; take a hot bath, meditate, take a walk, whatever. Doing this provides a way to relieve stress, boredom or whatever, and instills better habits.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I know since you've lost so much weight, that you know how to lose weight. We all derail. Time to get back to logging and staying under. Go read the stickies on the Maintenance boards to get s feel for what people do/think when no longer motivated by losing a pound. It might help you in this binge time.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This is a great time to turn a negative into a positive!!!!!!! I use to do this when crap hit the fan I started doing push ups or body weight squats just anything to get your mind on off the b.s. I've completely changed my programming to where I don't look to food for comfort. I actually have to FORCE myself to eat the calories I need hope this helps && if u want to add me for support go ahead
  • mattie2290
    mattie2290 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I feel the urge to eat and know it's not out of hunger I write down what I'm feeling at that moment. Typically anxiety, stress, and anger are what trigger the urge to stuff my face. Funny how that's usually at work! Once I right down those emotions the urge to binge lessons. It doesn't always go away completely, but I can feel the pressure ease after processing the the real reasons I'm wanting to eat. Distractions are great for the short term, but being honest with yourself and releasing those emotions truly gives you back the control your looking for. I always have a notebook or my journal on hand. Even if it's just two sentences, and I chunk the paper in the trash I know that the words I put down are what's really going on in my head not the desire to put food in my mouth.
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try to find out what triggers it, and if you have any typical foods that can trigger it and just don't stash any of them in your home.

I first started out with not having what usually can trigger it for me, then I tried to get down to the core to start having a better relationship with food. Talking to someone can help also, just let your close ones know what you are going through because this isn't easy.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You know... This is a really good opportunity for some reflection time. You are now being challenged by life and you will need to learn new methods of coping and self soothing ... Healthier new methods of coping :) In my opinion, it's where the real weight loss journey begins :) keep pushing forward, don't loose sight of the basic things you need to do to achieve your goals! I invested a lot of time into therapy (dbt) to help me learn better life and coping skills. Add me if you'd like.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can be tied to low self-esteem, even if you may not realise it. It is a circle you know you can break with the right support and mind set. You deserve better than to treat yourself this way, and clearly you can do it with such a huge loss. It is very difficult, feels impossible at times, to change your mindset but it IS possible. Perhaps spend time investigating new, healthy exciting recipes so you gradually feel more naturally satisfied? Someone said to me a couple of years ago that we are all responsible for our own happiness and that gave me a kick up the back side, good luck with finding the right balance of being hard on yourself to take control of your life. And if it goes wrong, suck it up, tomorrow is a new day!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had one of these days on Sunday - it wasn't just that I couldnt stop, I simply didnt want to. anything I could find went in my mouth from vegetables to fruit to sweet things to salad I just kept eating. I was reacting to a stressful and emotional weekend and tiredness and all sorts.

So those of you lucky enough never to have experienced a true binge eating episode, it really isn't just about stopping at the time. Its a much longer term fix involving regaining control of eating (and maybe other aspects of your life which you feel you have lost control of) and recognising what the triggers are so you can minimise their effects!

• LazSommer
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Come back after you've struggled with an eating disorder and then we can talk about how to "just stop eating".

So because my profile picture isn't a drastic change, you assume I have never struggled with inner demons. Your wisdom is infinite.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out what's eating you before you start eating everything in sight.

I think this is key!
    I've struggled for years with emotional eating.
    Write it down. When you're experiencing emotional hunger, write down what's causing it. Then deal with that instead of medicating with food.
    The better you understand your weaknesses, the easier it is to overcome them :)
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I deal with this from time to time and this is basically why I am where I am after doing this for years. I've gotten better at it by simply not having certain foods in the house. I am starting to plan out my meals now so I can log them for each day and see what I have left to eat snacks or whatever. It isn't easy, but you can overcome it. Maybe try to work out when you get emotional? Have something to motivate you in sight so you can remember what your ultimate goal is.

• prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I definitely know the feeling. I find what works best for me is to get out of the house. Maybe take a walk, go to the mall or to the gym. I also like to play games on my Ipad. Trying doing some outside activities to take your mind off of what is stressing you!!! Good luck and Congrats on losing 62 pounds, that may be your motivation as well!!!
  • amazonqueen29
    amazonqueen29 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from binge eating for quite some time. I've found that keeping busy, and even spending a few hours making healthy recipes has kept me from wanting to eat all day long. Also cutting out sugar has helped curve my cravings to over eat . You just have to refocus your energy onto something else. I've fought a lot of emotional battles within myself but when it comes down to it, a few moments of satisfaction from food is not worth the sacrifice for feeling energetic and healthy.