to all the runners... HELP!

Options
Hey guys, so a few months back i ran a half marathon. all went well.. was happy with my time but i have one lingering problem.. a BLACK TOENAIL :(. it took a few weeks for the nail to fully die and what not but it has not yet fallen off. instead its hanging on by a thread and a gross yellow/green color. it looks like there is a blood blister toward the base of the nail but i cant be sure. it doesnt look like a healthy nail has started to grow in yet and i just feel as though there should be some more progress. The race was back in late march btw.. just to give you a frame of reference. any of you have a similar experience? I'm starting to think that i'll need to visit a doctor! Thanks for any help!

Replies

• maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think you should see a doctor. Ive had lots of toe nails turn black and fall off, but none has turned puss looking on me. Sounds like there's some kind of infection going on
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    The new nail will grow in under the bad nail. The coloration you discribe is bothersome though. I might be inclined to go to the doctor if i were you because you may have an infection. And buy your next pair of running shoes a half size bigger than the ones you are in now. My wife keeps her tonails painted, and doesn't know she has a black toenail until it pops off!
  • wykesp
    wykesp Posts: 4
    Options
    IF it is not painful and oozing then it is not anything to really worry about. The black under the nail is blood that by this point is dry and is just under the nail. That can stay for a long time! Eventually it will grow out and you can clip it away as it does. However, if there is swelling and pain this may be sign of infection and you would need to see a Dr. Hope that helps!

PW
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so a few months back i ran a half marathon. all went well.. was happy with my time but i have one lingering problem.. a BLACK TOENAIL :(. it took a few weeks for the nail to fully die and what not but it has not yet fallen off. instead its hanging on by a thread and a gross yellow/green color. it looks like there is a blood blister toward the base of the nail but i cant be sure. it doesnt look like a healthy nail has started to grow in yet and i just feel as though there should be some more progress. The race was back in late march btw.. just to give you a frame of reference. any of you have a similar experience? I'm starting to think that i'll need to visit a doctor! Thanks for any help!

It couldn't hurt to visit a doctor. But I have to tell you that my toe nails have just now fully recovered and finally look normal from my marathon season that ended in November. It does take some time. If there is any pressure, discomfort or pus happening, I would definitely see a doctor though.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Wish I had advice on the toenail bit, but never had that problem...... make sure your toebox is big enough on the next pair of shoes though. Also, you may want to check with the runners on the active.com message boards
  • canamoc
    canamoc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You should probably go see a Dr. My last black toe nail was blistered underneath, and after 'sterilizing' a pin, I popped it and all seemed good, but then it got infected (guess I didn't do a great job of sterilizing) and I had to see Dr, who was quite adamant that I should have gone there in first place, despite my thinking it was ridiculous and waste of Dr's time.
  • kixz
    kixz Posts: 13
    Options
    thanks everyone! i'm pain free so i suppose I'll wait it all out awhile longer. Keep running! <3
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    I know how painfull/disgustng that can be as I lost both my big toenails playing netball not too long ago. My problem was my nails were too long and the constant stomping of my foot on the ground was slamming my toe into the front of my shoe. It went black because of the blood blister underneath and eventually fell off (with the help of me pulling !). You could go to your doc or a chiropodist and ask them to remove it, you will be left with a tender area until your new nail grows back. Check your shoes for fitting - you may need to move up a size as your feet expand around 1/2 a size when running etc, they may be a little tight. Also look at your foot stride, it may be a mechanical error. Other than that well done on your half!! A black tonail is the very least injury you could have come away with and something us runners have to get used to :-(
  • kixz
    kixz Posts: 13
    Options
    You should probably go see a Dr. My last black toe nail was blistered underneath, and after 'sterilizing' a pin, I popped it and all seemed good, but then it got infected (guess I didn't do a great job of sterilizing) and I had to see Dr, who was quite adamant that I should have gone there in first place, despite my thinking it was ridiculous and waste of Dr's time.

haha oh no! i considered popping it myself back when it originally happened but never grew the nerve. i appreciate your story, an infection does not sound fun! it has been awhile since i knocked on my docs door with a running ailment...
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The weird color may be completely normal. Purple bruises (essentially, the nailbed is badly bruising, and that will kill the nail) are from the intial flood of hemoglobin in the tissue. As phagocytosis proceeds, the cell breaks down to release biliverdin (green), bilirubin (yellow, and well known for causing jaundice), and hemosiderin (a golden-brown color). That may be all that you are seeing.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    The weird color may be completely normal. Purple bruises (essentially, the nailbed is badly bruising, and that will kill the nail) are from the intial flood of hemoglobin in the tissue. As phagocytosis proceeds, the cell breaks down to release biliverdin (green), bilirubin (yellow, and well known for causing jaundice), and hemosiderin (a golden-brown color). That may be all that you are seeing.

Oh, that's all. :P
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Oh, that's all. :P

Ha! I meet a lot of people on coumadin. It is makes for good conversation, talking about all their awesome bruises.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    It's good to be informed. :) You just threw all that out there so nonchalantly.