8-5 hour job need motivation

Replies

• joejordan77
    joejordan77 Posts: 6 Member
    Desk job here as well 6-4 then I also do maintenance on my office building from 4-8 M-F. I don't have time for the Gym so my solution is getting to work by walking and or biking. I live almost 3 miles from my job so that makes it easy. One week I bike m-w-f and walk t-t next week I switch it up. I pack my back pack the night before so I can just get up shower and go. Then I also walk/bike during my hour long lunch. :)
  • breemat12
    breemat12 Posts: 10 Member
    I get an hour lunch break at my 8-5 job; I use this to walk on a nearby bike trail. I also try to bring healthy snacks to my job and pack a lunch vs eating out or just eating the candy here at the office. All small things can add up. Whenever you go to the bathroom at work, do 12 squats and take the long way there. I also try to drink a lot of water at work!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    I set the alarm 35 minutes early on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and do a quick Jillian Michaels workout in my living room before work. That way I can still "sleep in" two weekdays and force myself to do workouts in the evenings after dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Weekends are my time to really get a good workout in, either walk 3-4 miles with my fiance, do an hour-long workout DVD (or two 30-minute ones back-to-back), or go for a run. I hate that I'm stuck sitting at a desk most of the day but make the most of my free time outside of work.

As for food, I'll cook a big batch of something on the weekends, like soup or chili, so I've got leftovers for several more meals during the week. Or roast a chicken if I'm going to be sitting at home all Sunday anyway. It's hard to motivate myself to spend half of a weeknight evening cooking and then working out, so I try to make quick and easy meals with leftovers for at least one other meal. We also have salad for dinner one night a week, usually with a veggie burger and salsa, peppers, corn, and onion on top. Quick and easy.

Meal planning is a must now that I'm on a healthy kick. I plot out the entire week's meals so I only have to go shopping once a week, and I also keep lots of stuff in the freezer that I can whip up into a meal. Frozen chicken breasts, frozen ground turkey, and a mountain of frozen veggies populate my freezer on a regular basis. The cupboard's always got chicken broth, canned beans, and canned tomatoes. If I find myself without a meal plan, I can throw chicken and chicken broth in the crock pot with whatever veggies I've got and we can have soup that night.

I think we're twins lol this is my life
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Hey guys, I've been using my fitness pal for a month now and I log once a week. It helps so much but my only problem is that I work a 8-5 job Monday-Friday and I need some stories of how you guys manage to exercise and diet while your sitting 8 hours a day!

Thanks!

I work out before work. There are 16 other hours in the day.
  • knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    I work similar hours and I have a long commute. In the very beginning trying to hit my step goal really sucked, but it got easier pretty fast. Can you walk or go to the gym during your lunch break? Most days I eat lunch at my desk and then go for a 30-45 minute walk. That usually takes care of half my daily steps. I agree with what others say about getting up and walking around the office. Whenever I get up I do a full lap around my floor. If I manage to do that every hour, that can add a couple thousand more steps.

I don't know what your commute situation is, but I use public transit. Sometimes instead of getting on the metro right at my office, I'll walk the 1.5 miles to the next stop down the line. At home, I walk with my dog, daughter, and husband after dinner at least 3X a week. Running in place/impromptu dance parties/running up and down the stairs before bed takes care of the rest when I feel my activity levels are still lacking.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I cook my meals for the week on Sunday. After work, it's a dead sprint to grab a snack, get my workout clothes on, and hit the gym. I eat again after my workout, get the kids ready for bed, straighten up, and go to bed. Repeat. It's just what we do at this point, so it is a routine.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    I work similar hours and study in the evening, and I find the best time is to do exercise straight after work when I get home. I get in, get changed and either go out running or do bodyweight exercises at home. It's easier this way, as once you sit down after work, it's so difficult to get back up. I then have dinner when I get home.

My partner on the other hand, prefers having his dinner, and then goes out running at about 9pm. I could never do this though, I just get too comfy and sleepy!

The other option, like some people here is to get up early or pop out at lunch. Maybe try a couple things out and see how you find them :)
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    During the summers, I work that in an office. I exercise on my lunch break. The rest of the year, I'm a student. I fit the gym in between classes. I make food my absolute #1 priority. I can and will lose weight with diet alone. The exercise brings me all kinds of other benefits, including burning more energy, but exercise alone isn't sufficient to lose weight.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I walk on my lunch break.
  • marphoria
    marphoria Posts: 14 Member
    I work 9-6 with an hour lunch break; I always take a long walk during that break, at least 30-40 minutes. I'm not an early morning gym person, but I always go right after work for at least an hour. Definitely move around when you have a free moment.
  • misscaseyann11
    misscaseyann11 Posts: 5 Member
    I've found that going to the gym can seem like too much at the end of a hectic day. I like to come home, walk the dog, get some dinner plans going. And morning is not my prime time.

Here's what been working for me. After work, I'll commit to changing into my yoga / running clothes and spending at least 10 minutes on my mat / running. If I'm not really feeling it, I give myself permission to stop. 10 minutes of activity is better than sitting on my bum some more and is a good minimum commitment to make exercise a part of my routine. However, most of the time, once I get moving I realize it's exactly what I needed and I'll keep going.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hey guys, I've been using my fitness pal for a month now and I log once a week. It helps so much but my only problem is that I work a 8-5 job Monday-Friday and I need some stories of how you guys manage to exercise and diet while your sitting 8 hours a day!

Thanks!

I work 0700-1600, and have a 1 hour drive to and from work so I have a home gym and get up at 0330 every morning to work out.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    I just work out when I get home from work. I let myself have an hour break to snack and just relax and then I begin my workout!
  • reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    We get up early to walk dogs in the morning- it is exercise and has the extra benefit of being really invigorating! Also walk dogs at night and either workout at lunch or in the evenings, though not every day during the week. Dieting at work is easy though - just a matter of limiting calories.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2016
    I hit the gym before work 6 days a week. I call it waking up with a win.

I wake up before dawn to do it. I'm up at 3:45 am. I chose to go early to avoid the crowd and shower at home instead of lugging a gym bag to and from work. I also go early so I can be there for my family. I don't want my hobby to interfere with family time after work.

My commute is an hour on public transit. I have to be at work at 8:30 am. I walk a half mile to and from the train each day rain or shine. I get off a few stops early on my bus route in as well. I have always done these 2 things even when I was obese. I love to walk. It clears my mind.

I work in a high rise office building. I am on the 3rd floor. The climb is about 6 flights. I take the stairs up always twice a day when I come in and after lunch.

I food prep daily. Something about prepping a weeks worth of eggs just doesn't rub me right. I bring breakfast lunch and snaks to work with me 5 days a week. Aside from my 4 am latte I do not consume any calories until 11 am. this helps to ensure there is no mindless eating at my desk. I am full for the better part of my work day.

I get in 96 oz of water before 4 pm daily.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Sorry...are you actually asking for advice because you work the most common schedule known to man? Go to the gym before work. Or after. Or in any of the other 15 hours of your day.

I thought the same. Not sure why you were flagged.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    I have an hour-long lunch break and walk about 2 miles during the last half. I also get up about 30-40 minutes early MWF to do a quick 30 minute bodyweight exercise routine. I walk from my parking lot to my building (~1 mile) and back almost every day, weather permitting. I work on the third floor but will use the bathroom on the ground floor for some extra stairs and walking.
  • jackslovely
    jackslovely Posts: 45 Member
    I work a desk job for 10 hours a day, 4 days a week 8am-7pm and i walk every chance i can. I get 2 15 minute breaks and i stroll outside for about 10 of those, back up the stairs to my desk. On my hour lunch break, i spend at least 20-30 minutes walking around our parking lot, can usually get about 3.5 laps in. I also make sure i get up once every 1.5hours if not every hour to get some water and take the long way back, which is like maybe 10 steps longer but hey! those 10 steps add up over the 10 hours. If i don't hit 7k by time i get home i walk around my living room or hop on the elliptical for 25 minutes.

As far as diet. I have a shake on my way to work and lunch, well i luck out because we have a banging cafeteria at work where you can get anything and everything. We have a complete salad bar with a scale, a grill station, sub station etc. Most days i get a salad or another "Be Well" item and for dinner i wake up early and make my dinner so when i get home i can heat it up and eat. For snacks i usually have veggies or greek yogurt.

Oh and park further away! It helps too!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    i work 830-500, I play soccer with people from work at lunch 1-3 times a week, go for a run or lift weights before or after work.

How long is your commute?

The good thing about weight loss is you can do it sitting on your bum at work, just eat less.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    My commute is about 10 minutes, and we have our own building so theres no where really to walk. Also, a lot of people in my office are nosey so if you're just walking around, they will think you have nothing better to do! I'm going to start going to the gym for 30 minutes on my lunch break now and will def post you guys on that. Also what are some healthy snacks you guys bring??