How does Air Fryer food taste?

Options
ClubSilencio
ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
I'm thinking of getting an air fryer so I can eat more fries without feeling bad about myself.

Sounds too good to be true though.

Does anyone here have one and what dishes do you make with it?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Isn't that just like a toaster countertop oven? I read that in one review.
    You can't fry with air - ask any engineer.
    Walmart sells some fries that have lower fats. Just BAKE them in the oven.
  • spin0055
    spin0055 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with just baking them in the oven. Drizzle with a little olive oil and throw them in. So yummy!
  • Nuttytart101
    Nuttytart101 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i love my air fry!

(eating air fry root veg chips while typing)
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    I'm not so sure. These look more appealing than a boring oven.

philips-viva-digital-airfryer-with-variety-basket-c.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like these.......

th?&id=OIP.Me2b20fb7f5524173f95bd27b35c7954fo0&w=297&h=297&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

But, yeah I've wondered about these air fryers too
  • ewokpride
    ewokpride Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We've had one for about a year and cook pretty much every kind of food in it. It makes the absolute best chicken wings, good fries (hand-cut ones from actual potatoes tossed with some spices are best). The way it moves the air around the food actually does make things really crisp. It's also actually really good at cooking meat so it's juicy in the middle but fully cooked.

I'd highly recommend the Phillips ones.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @clubsilencio I've been looking at one for a while too. This website gives a really good explanation of the outcome of things she's cooked in it. Things I've Cooked In The Philips Airfryer
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like these.......

th?&id=OIP.Me2b20fb7f5524173f95bd27b35c7954fo0&w=297&h=297&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

But, yeah I've wondered about these air fryers too

Yeah, I like their sweet potato fries. Would be cool to make my own fries though with less fat and seasonings of my choosing. I just hate how you have to flip each fry over in the middle of cooking. With the air fryer it looks like I can simply take out the tray, toss them, and put it back in.
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    ewokpride wrote: »
    We've had one for about a year and cook pretty much every kind of food in it. It makes the absolute best chicken wings, good fries (hand-cut ones from actual potatoes tossed with some spices are best). The way it moves the air around the food actually does make things really crisp. It's also actually really good at cooking meat so it's juicy in the middle but fully cooked.

I'd highly recommend the Phillips ones.

Thanks for your account. Didn't expect to hear someone cook chicken wings in one of these things. :smile:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just like a toaster countertop oven? I read that in one review.
    You can't fry with air - ask any engineer.
    Walmart sells some fries that have lower fats. Just BAKE them in the oven.

Only an engineer, or someone close to one, would be that nitpicky. I know, I'm married to one :lol:
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    @clubsilencio I've been looking at one for a while too. This website gives a really good explanation of the outcome of things she's cooked in it. Things I've Cooked In The Philips Airfryer

Thank you for that. I watched a demo on the Williams-Sonoma Youtube channel and the video had a surprising amount of dislikes. Made me wonder what the deal is with these air fryers.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    All that stuff can be made in your oven.
  • ClubSilencio
    Options

LOL. I want an air fryer.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

LOL. I want an air fryer.

Dang it. Now I want one too. You can be the guinea pig and report back to us, okay?
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of an air fryer, but I'm intrigued. So is it pretty much the same concept as a convection oven? Because I have a convection oven - I've been meaning to learn how to use it...
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I never heard of it either but I am also interested now!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Made homemade oven-baked fries this weekend and my boyfriend said they were the best he's ever eaten. Super easy. Cut yellow potatoes into fry slices (sorry, don't know the technical term), throw into a bowl, spray with 0-calorie canola oil spray, add salt and pepper and toss in the bowl. Bake in the oven at 425° for 35 minutes (I made thick cut fries, skinnier ones probably wouldn't take as long).
  • las148
    las148 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My family finds that it works better for fries (crispier) than the oven, using a small amount of oil. We've also cooked pork chops, chicken, and fish successfully. I don't mind oven fries, I just find that it's hard to get them crispy and not dried out.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is a small convection oven. Unlike a regular oven, I believe air fryers have a fan in them.
  • duckpuddle
    duckpuddle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make fries in the air fryer. Some sweet potato with paprika and garlic seasoning. Delish.