EATING BACK CALORIES, EXERICISE AND MIGRAINES

Options
Hello,

1st post here!

I've been a "Gym Lover" on and off since i was 19 (now 22) Always maintained the same ish weight in the gym and out, between 43-46kg (I’m 5ft, petite build).

Since January this year i have been back in the gym, better than ever! I just needed to find a way to control my eating habits. Since January i would eat "healthy" foods (with no portion control, and i can eat the same side portions as my husband who is double of me) Sunday Breakfast - Friday Lunch and treat Friday night and Saturday whatever i wanted. Unsurprisingly although i was seeing some progress it was very very very very slow... you get the picture.

That’s when i turned to calorie counting and mindful eating, what a difference it has made! I can actually see noticeable progress now in both my strength and stamina and body composition. I aim for mainly beneficial foods but follow to 80/20 "rule" as such, I don’t schedule in my treats, in some sort of fashion (sometimes if i have family gatherings ect i cannot help to plan)

There is one very BIG problem though. I have been getting sever Migraines to the point of slurred speech and difficulty talking (I've had CT scans, and other further tests which have flagged up nothing) The diagnosis from the Dr is just sever Migraines caused by stress (I'm generally a stressy person, have a stressful job and the gym helps me get rid of the stress), I’m still waiting for a further appointment to get some pills but have been recommended to try to avoid taking them as they come with other side effects. My Husband has many many times over and over mentioned he believes with the exercise i do i am not eating enough (On a good "Normal" week i walk to and from work 5 times (10 minutes) walk to the gym 5 times (15 minutes each way) weight lift 3 times(1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs), cardio 3 times (20-40 mins), ab circuit 1 time (40 mins), Horse Ride 2 times (30 mins) and i also get 2 rest days Saturday & Thursday ) Apart from that i have an office job (Full Time) and do general cooking and cleaning about the house.

So my question... I had set my calories to maintain on MFP (I don’t want to change weight, i just want to change shape, if that’s even possible, i am still learning!) MFP had put my goal calorie intake to 1580 per day and i NEVER eat back my exercised calories and i am so happy with the progress i have made but energy and health wise I’m thinking maybe i need to start? WHAT TO DO?

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes! You will need to do a bit of trial and error. Add 200 calories per day including some good carbs and nuts for energy. Eat a good amount of carbs after your workouts and see how that goes for a week or two.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also potassium rich foods like bananas to help with stress!
  • plami_9209
    plami_9209 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have problems with my migranes and they`re increasingly getting worse with every day, especially in days when I work out a lot. Try eating a bit over the calorie intake that MFP has set for you and see if it helps you with the headaches, if it does`t try cutting back on some of the excercises and switch to some yoga or just stretching of some sort, it will still help you with your body shape, but you won`t feel that tired and you won`t lose so many calories. Also I`d go to a second doctor, they normally say stress, when they don`t know what the problem is. And I would agree with the doctor to not try medication, it just gets worse over time because you get dependent on them. Good luck!
  • alrocca
    alrocca Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I have the same issue. Severe migraines- mainly following heavy gym sessions as well. Will be interested to see any responses.
  • LittleOneLoveLife
    LittleOneLoveLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you already for your helpful replies! I am feeling a bit downhearted because i just want to continue with the progress i am making, not slow it down.
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello,

1st post here!

I've been a "Gym Lover" on and off since i was 19 (now 22) Always maintained the same ish weight in the gym and out, between 43-46kg (I’m 5ft, petite build).

Since January this year i have been back in the gym, better than ever! I just needed to find a way to control my eating habits. Since January i would eat "healthy" foods (with no portion control, and i can eat the same side portions as my husband who is double of me) Sunday Breakfast - Friday Lunch and treat Friday night and Saturday whatever i wanted. Unsurprisingly although i was seeing some progress it was very very very very slow... you get the picture.

That’s when i turned to calorie counting and mindful eating, what a difference it has made! I can actually see noticeable progress now in both my strength and stamina and body composition. I aim for mainly beneficial foods but follow to 80/20 "rule" as such, I don’t schedule in my treats, in some sort of fashion (sometimes if i have family gatherings ect i cannot help to plan)

There is one very BIG problem though. I have been getting sever Migraines to the point of slurred speech and difficulty talking (I've had CT scans, and other further tests which have flagged up nothing) The diagnosis from the Dr is just sever Migraines caused by stress (I'm generally a stressy person, have a stressful job and the gym helps me get rid of the stress), I’m still waiting for a further appointment to get some pills but have been recommended to try to avoid taking them as they come with other side effects. My Husband has many many times over and over mentioned he believes with the exercise i do i am not eating enough (On a good "Normal" week i walk to and from work 5 times (10 minutes) walk to the gym 5 times (15 minutes each way) weight lift 3 times(1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs), cardio 3 times (20-40 mins), ab circuit 1 time (40 mins), Horse Ride 2 times (30 mins) and i also get 2 rest days Saturday & Thursday ) Apart from that i have an office job (Full Time) and do general cooking and cleaning about the house.

So my question... I had set my calories to maintain on MFP (I don’t want to change weight, i just want to change shape, if that’s even possible, i am still learning!) MFP had put my goal calorie intake to 1580 per day and i NEVER eat back my exercised calories and i am so happy with the progress i have made but energy and health wise I’m thinking maybe i need to start? WHAT TO DO?

Hay on the migraine front I have the same problem lose of vision go numb of left side of body speech goes funny and they got worse when I started doing this app but a friend told me about aspartame it's in all diet / low stuff apparently it makes your migraine worse. Aspartame artificial sweetener stupidly strong it can be dangerous they have tried to ban it but was unsuccessful.

Hope this helps

Lisa
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Eat back 1/4 t0 1/2 off your exercise calories and see if that helps. The slurred speech is worrisome, so please keep your doctor in the loop on that. Mini strokes can cause that and not leave much evidence behind. (not trying to scare you, just want to make you aware)
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Also potassium rich foods like bananas to help with stress!

Bananas can trigger migraines though, so be aware OP.

I too suffer with migraines after exercise. I have to force myself to eat something good asap after workout. Also find dehydration a major factor. ..

Do you know your food triggers for migraines? Me,I know I cannot eat eggs and yoghurt and do.heavy exercise as that will bring on migraine for me.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    My husband found that artificial sweeteners in diet drinks were triggering his migraines.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Do you have your activity level set at "active?" If not, I would change that or eat back exercise calories to be sure you are eating enough to sustain your activity.
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would get headaches and generally feel poor after hard workouts (mostly cardio, cycling and running), and started drinking a recovery drink within 20 minutes of finishing and that seems to help a bit. There are a whole bunch of different ones but it's essentially easily-digestible protein and carbs.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    My husband found that artificial sweeteners in diet drinks were triggering his migraines.

One my exes had this same reaction, any type of diet soda or "sugar free" sweets would trigger debiltating migraines.

Also, my father has the same reaction but to ice cream. Which is so unfortunate, since banana splits were is absolute favorite.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Have you had basic blood work done to check for vitamin deficiencies? I was going through a period of having severe migraines and my blood work showed I was deficient in vitamin D. I started taking a prescribed supplement and have a few weeks the headaches decreased. My neurologist said vitamin d deficiency can cause migraines in those prone to migraines. Just something to think about.
  • Soultwist
    Soultwist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you already for your helpful replies! I am feeling a bit downhearted because i just want to continue with the progress i am making, not slow it down.
    That is certainly understandable, but fast changes are for obese people.