5 months pregnant starting @260lbs and starting the MFP

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I recall a follow-up episode of My 600 lb Life where the pregnant patient was expected to weigh less just before delivering than she did at the beginning of her pregnancy, but that was under physician guidance and monitoring. So, it's not necessarily unsafe, but the bottom line is it's not a good idea to try it on your own. It may not be a good strategy in your situation
  • lsecula
    lsecula Posts: 19 Member
    The general rule is pregnant women need 300 extra calories per day. So, I think it *is* a good idea to track your calories on here to start a more healthy lifestyle. You should see how many calories it gives you if you set it to maintain your current weight, and then add 300 to that (maybe you don't have to add a full 300 since you're starting overweight)? I don't know for sure -- definitely talk to your doctor... I kind of wish I had counted calories during my 1st and 3rd pregnancies. I wouldn't have had as much to lose afterwards!
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    You definitely need to discuss further with your doctor. I don't think he.she will be opposed to eating healthier, but my doctor told me that calorie counting during pregnancy wasn't the right time to be doing that. She urged me to get 30 minutes of light exercise a day and eat as healthy as possible. This isn't about losing weight while pregnant so you don't have to work as hard later. This is about making sure that little life you're carrying is healthy, and you need to eat and not restrict yourself in order to do that.
  • mirraivana
    mirraivana Posts: 9 Member
    thank you qpmomma1 :)
    Just to make it clear, I started using MFP more active recently, my beginning weight of 262 was in January 24th at the doc's office and the 259lbs was also measured at doc's on the 4th of this month, so maybe the entries that I have are not quite dated. The 256.8 is at my home scale.I look at it as in eating healthier vs. Mc'donalds, Taco bell, pasta etc. but I will surely talk to my OB at my next visit and see what is her opinion on weight loss.
  • mirraivana
    jemhh wrote: »
    niamibunni wrote: »
    Eat healthier and try to get in some walking after each meal...that helped me keep my blood sugars and energy stable during pregnancy. I also did some pregnancy yoga from a dvd, that will help you later on when you are more uncomfortable. I guess the goal is to not lose muscle while pregnant. You will be really uncomfortable at the end of the pregnancy and being moderately active will help if you give birth naturally.

This is great advice. Unless there is a reason for you to stay completely inactive (i.e., you're on bedrest) try to get in some activity now.

I have 2 toddlers at home so deff not inactive on bed rest ( I wish :blush: )
  • mirraivana
    You definitely do not need to be "eating for two" but you should not be concerned with losing while pregnant. ANY time you create a deficit in your nutritional intake so that you could "lose weight" you are taking away nutrients from the baby. It is a PART of you and gets all of its food from everything you eat, and if you limit yourself drastically, (and a 2 pound/week weight loss goal is a huge deficit) there will come a time when your body will have to make a decision as to whether it goes without nutrients or the baby does.

You need to talk to your OBGYN, be CLEAR in your plan and make sure they understand that at 1300 calories a day you are set up for a 2lb a week loss. I'm pregnant myself, and I'm eating 1700 calories a day and I still lost weight this month, and I didn't mean to, a loss wasn't my intent. I meant to maintain what I have and worry about losing once the baby was delivered.

As far as loosing weight I think that it will happen just from the diet change due to the fact that i dont want to drik coke anymore as i was drinking 10 cans per day and eating MCD's and fast things, so loosing a few lbs is i think inevitable. My goal of loosing 2lbs per week is my goal -AFTER I deliver since i do want to be around my children while they are growing up . I will in no way put my child in danger over few lbs ;)
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Just a heads up for after the baby comes, I'm nursing and eating about 1800 calories per day and losing a little more than 2 pounds per week.
  • keekster512
    keekster512 Posts: 7 Member
    That's definitely not enough calories for a pregnant person. When I was pregnant I remember reading something along the lines of pregnant woman needing an extra 300-500 calories a day. So realistically you shouldn't be consuming less than 1800 calories a day.

I know it's hard to be overweight and pregnant and not want to gain a lot. I was 210 lbs when I found out I was pregnant with twins. All I kept thinking about was how much fatter I was gonna get when I found out. But I stuck to a healthy diet eating lots of good foods, and not giving into the greasy burger cravings I had in my first pregnancy. I never "dieted" during the time, just didn't let myself overeat or eat crap. By the end of the pregnancy I was only 215lbs. so I only gained 5 lbs which since I was already overweight was good.
    The most important thing to me was my babies.

A great way to jump start post partum weight loss is breastfeeding. And like previous posters have said you don't want to have a calorie deficit when doing that either. I easily lost 30 lbs in the first 2 months of breastfeeding after having my twins and I wasn't eating less than 1500-2000 calories a day then.

Good luck with everything and congrats on your baby
  • mirraivana
    That's definitely not enough calories for a pregnant person. When I was pregnant I remember reading something along the lines of pregnant woman needing an extra 300-500 calories a day. So realistically you shouldn't be consuming less than 1800 calories a day.

I know it's hard to be overweight and pregnant and not want to gain a lot. I was 210 lbs when I found out I was pregnant with twins. All I kept thinking about was how much fatter I was gonna get when I found out. But I stuck to a healthy diet eating lots of good foods, and not giving into the greasy burger cravings I had in my first pregnancy. I never "dieted" during the time, just didn't let myself overeat or eat crap. By the end of the pregnancy I was only 215lbs. so I only gained 5 lbs which since I was already overweight was good.
    The most important thing to me was my babies.

A great way to jump start post partum weight loss is breastfeeding. And like previous posters have said you don't want to have a calorie deficit when doing that either. I easily lost 30 lbs in the first 2 months of breastfeeding after having my twins and I wasn't eating less than 1500-2000 calories a day then.

Good luck with everything and congrats on your baby

Oh wow, I didn't realize that breastfeeding is that draining :) I deff do not want to put my baby at risk
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Problem with losing weight while pregnant is that it significant;y increases the chance of not getting the proper nutrition that is needed to promote healthy fetal development. Is it possible? Of course. But why risk it when it is only a few months.

Focus on eating enough and eating healthy foods. From there, when you have the baby, you can then reduce the amount you eat while sticking to the healthy foods you are now used to. This will make losing weight so much easier!
  • mirraivana
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Problem with losing weight while pregnant is that it significant;y increases the chance of not getting the proper nutrition that is needed to promote healthy fetal development. Is it possible? Of course. But why risk it when it is only a few months.

Focus on eating enough and eating healthy foods. From there, when you have the baby, you can then reduce the amount you eat while sticking to the healthy foods you are now used to. This will make losing weight so much easier!

that is what I was trying to do, get my mind and belly used to veggies and fish and water instead of junk food so when i actually can commit myself to exercise I will at least have the diet in order ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I understand not wanting to gain too much during pregnancy, when starting out heavy. But it has been my understanding that you should never ever try to lose weight once pregnant. Keeping your gain to a minimum, sure. And I agree....this needs to be addressed with your OB.

This is not true, and in fact exactly the opposite of what current science tells us. There is lots of recent research showing that pregnant women who are obese can safely maintain weight or perhaps even lose a bit, with better outcomes than those who gain. Even women who start a pregnancy at a normal weight do not need to increase caloric intake until the second trimester and even then, the increase is only 200 calories/day.

Trying OP...TRYING? You should be eating well all of the time and moving every day. Anything else is reprehensible.

Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    I lost weight when I was pregnant. I was over 200 lbs and throughout the course of pregnancy, I lost 17 lbs. I didn't track calories, just simply was more mindful of making healthy choices. It is perfectly healthy to lose during pregnancy if you are overweight to begin with, but I agree with others that have said your calorie goal is too low.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I agree that while pregnant we DONT need to eat for two nor do we need to diet. Under the care of your OB monitor your weight gains and losses. Make sure you are eating well and keeping as active as you can, I know it can be hard but you will be thankful in the end. I wish I had watched my calories over my 3 pregnancies- for sure. And also keep in mind what you are asking your body to do. Pregnancy is no time to diet. Start making better choices, yes! :)

If you BFeed you will need the same increase in 300-500 calories postpartum.

Large women have babies all the time. It is not recommended for anyone to gain too much or lose too much. However at a higher starting weight OBs will tend to recommend a gain on the conservative side of the expected range.
    MFP is a great resource for your tracking! CONGRATS! and good luck!
  • MommyMeggo
    edited April 2016
    I understand not wanting to gain too much during pregnancy, when starting out heavy. But it has been my understanding that you should never ever try to lose weight once pregnant. Keeping your gain to a minimum, sure. And I agree....this needs to be addressed with your OB.

This is not true, and in fact exactly the opposite of what current science tells us. There is lots of recent research showing that pregnant women who are obese can safely maintain weight or perhaps even lose a bit, with better outcomes than those who gain. Even women who start a pregnancy at a normal weight do not need to increase caloric intake until the second trimester and even then, the increase is only 200 calories/day.

Trying OP...TRYING? You should be eating well all of the time and moving every day. Anything else is reprehensible.

Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant.

Geez!
    Call me reprehensible then. I didnt eat well all the time nor did I exercise everyday.

Please back this up:
    "Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant."

*and not the NY Times opinion article, please*
    Im sorry, I just cant get over how insulting your post sounds.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Speak with your OB about trying to lose/maintain weight while pregnant.
  • MommyMeggo
    Here are some facts about preeclampsia- since that was the highlight of your article.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-information/138-latest-news/606-10-preeclampsia-myths-that-are-completely-misleading

Being overweight has heath complications in general. Thats no newsflash.
    Delivering a baby early for ANY reason has many associated risks.
    Shoulder dystocia can happen to many - even normal weight mothers and presumably normal pregnancies- baby position and genetic build of the mother play a part. Often in the business of birthing a baby that appears to be stuck will be taken c-sec vs trying to spin the baby if possible.
    Pre-eclampsia isnt effected further by diet either.
    And one does not have to be obese or even overweight to have gestational diabetes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member

A bit harsh, no?
    Reminds me of the mommies that shake their finger at moms who don't breastfeed until their kids are 5 and feed them non-organic applesauce.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited April 2016
    OP, how far along are you? I'm 12 weeks, and at the approval of my OB, I'm attempting to stay in the 190-200 range, which in total would be max an 11lb gain. I set my goal to maintain my weight and my activity level to sedentary. I log everything, and I'm actually in the "very active" category with an average of 13k steps daily (Active job, cardio in the morning, dog walks in the evening). My activity monitor and HRM sync to MFP, and give me a more accurate idea of daily activity and what my intake should be that day. I try and make healthy choices, but allow myself indulgences because how many times in my life do I get to be pregnant? Again, I have talked at length with my OB about this, before conceiving and after.

First trimester is normal to lose, due to morning sickness and food aversions. However, one of the big concerns about not eating enough is the baby is going to take what it needs from you, no matter what. You want to set yourself up to be healthy after right? That doesn't mean losing weight now. That means getting enough nutrients to keep you both healthy!

I would talk to your OB, but focus more on maintaining than losing. Maybe ask for a referral to a dietitian or nutritionist who specializes in pregnancy.

And I don't know how you're making it on less than 1300 calories. I would DIE. I put away 2700 last Thursday, the baby thought it was starving.

Have you found the Fit, Fab, and Pregnant group on here yet? MFP is full of women attempting to have the healthiest pregnancy possible.

Edit: Feel free to add me if you would like