Thing's you have heard from others about your diet that are false or just tick you off.

Options
A lot of people have their own opinions and views of how someone should lose weight and what they are and are not doing right. Most of these people indulge very unhealthy lifestyles of their own though and it is very irritating to me when someone comments on what i need to do.

For example: my mom is about 300 pounds and she always makes meals that are not healthy. Most of the time, not to offend her cooking in anyway, I pick an alternative but then she goes on about how what she is making is not even unhealthy and i should eat it anyways. And how "one time won't hurt me"
it irritates me because i wish she would support me with my health and understand that although one time indeed won't make an everlasting affect, but it does backtrack me and sends me in the opposite ways of my goals.

What are some things you have heard from others about dieting/weightloss/general health that really get on your nerves?

Replies

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    hahahahah oh this thread makes me happy - it's nice to see so many people get weird judgy comments.

I am vegan, HOLY WOW can you imagine?!

"I couldn't live without steak, bacon or cheese"
    I never asked you to!

"you have to be so careful about deficiencies when all you eat is salad"
    I actually loath salads, but you're right, the seeds nuts grains fruit and veggies probably put me at a similar deficiency as your hot dog.

"you must fart a lot eating beans, that's disgusting"
    do you even poop considering all the cheese you eat?

"you eat the weirdest food"
    yes, vegetables are so weird *giant eye roll*

OMG, if vegans had a dollar for every single time we got these :lol:

I live with my sis and bf - sis is vegan, too, and the bf is a human garbage disposal who will happily eat whatever we cook for him.

I take a daily vitamin with all 8 B vitamins but my mom is still always freaking out about how I'm not getting enough B12 and other nutrients.

And funnily enough, the only thing that made me super farty was soy. Cut out the soy and my tush is happy lol.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Also, things I hate hearing?

I haven't really deprived myself at all over the past few months - I eat what I want, but more reasonably. I've lost weight doing this, even with bad days/weeks.

I told my mom about MFP and she waved it away claiming she doesn't have time to count calories and too much work and blah blah blah... and yet she does diets like the 21-Day Fix...? Idk, I think it's WAY more time-consuming to have to measure out specific quantities of fruits and vegetables into specific containers AND ONLY EAT THOSE THINGS.

Oh, and running is apparently bad for your knees. Despite my knees being the part of my leg that has literally never been sore after running.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "you must fart a lot eating beans, that's disgusting"
    do you even poop considering all the cheese you eat?

Ha ha, yeah I get that one a lot too! I eat beans a lot but have never had an issue. (Although, when I first started eating spinach, it made me gassy. Not anymore, though.)
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Also, things I hate hearing?

Oh, and running is apparently bad for your knees. Despite my knees being the part of my leg that has literally never been sore after running.

Yes, the evil running! Heaven forbid we do more than sit while we attempt to get healthier and more athletic! Maybe we should warn against crossword puzzles - you might get a headache!
  • kcongel90
    kcongel90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "You must be really muscular for your size, you don't look 145." That is probably because I have clothes on. I can assure you I am not mostly muscle. Its okay, you don't have to tell me I look smaller that I am. I'm working on it. In addition, it irks me when people will say "Oh I put on X pounds last week, but I worked out a lot so it must be muscle." Do you know how hard it is to put on POUNDS of muscle?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really tick me off, but made me shake my head. I was chatting with my mom on the phone the other day and she mentioned my Grandma had been short of breath lately. My grandma has heart problems and has to severely restrict her sodium. Ten seconds later, my mom mentioned that she brought my Grandma her favourite teriyaki a few days back as a treat. I mentioned to my mom that teriyaki is very high in sodium and she insisted that no, it isn't, it's healthy.

For anyone else it's fine for for an 89 year old with heart trouble, not so much.
  • tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OMG ALL OF THE TIME! This weekend, I was with friends and did not want the unnecessary calories from alcohol. They kept going on and on about it. They would even put drinks I did not want in front of me.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    "Can you eat that?"

That also. "OMG, you say you're dieting but you eat a f*cking BANANA?? it's full of sugar!! What? You eat avocados too?? AND CASHEWS??"

Or, "you're going to have icecream? Have you finally dropped the crazy-*kitten* diet?"
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Up until last year, my sister kept trying to say I can't eat at certain places because they were "unhealthy".

My brother suggested a place called The Chocolate Bar in a text chain to celebrate me getting out of the hospital. She responded that I couldn't because it was again, "unhealthy".

I immediately responded saying that it would be fine.

Another thing that really annoyed me was someone asking how I lost weight. I brought up calorie counting, but they were only interested in exercise. As soon as I said I did run, they insisted that was the primary reason I lost.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!