indulging or cheat days?

Options
I started logging a week now, but lost some weight before starting on here. About 9lbs so far.
Anywhoo my question is do you allow yourself something "unhealthy" once and a while? Especially eating out? I have done good went out last night and allowed my self a few hushpuppies. But I wonder if I should have. But I took the kids for ice cream and diddnt get anything so I do have will power LOL
My question is really is if I stick to only "healthy" stuff day in day out is it going to make me end up feeling deprived and binge LOL

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want - when I want. I log what I eat and move on. I used to do "cheat days" but found that I like being able to have a little "treat" each and everyday vs blowing one day completely out of the water. I eat in moderation. This is a lifestyle change for me and there's NO WAY I can go the rest of my life not having some of the things I enjoy.

If you feel like you'll binge without the "treats" then figure out how to work them into your daily calories.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do allow myself a "period", not really a whole day of eat what I want....within reason. I have been doing this about a month and a half and have done it once. I do allow for my daily cravings of chocolate with a WW Fudge Bar as my treat. I figure if I don't, then I will binge =) I keep myself satisfied and am realistic to what I need. I have changed my eating habits dramatically and eat pretty healthy otherwise. So I say allow yourself.....but I do know my weaknesses and stayed away until I had a good few weeks under my belt. Now I feel like I can take on any cookout....LOL!!!! Good Luck!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I figure I can have a "treat" once in a while, but only if it fits in my calories. That's not to say I don't go over once in a while, but rarely for sure. Tonight my hubby wanted our favorite pizza place in our hometown (we live 30 minutes away now) and we were going to a funeral visitation, so I figured it was worth it. I planned ahead, logged it all last night, and was only about 30 cals over! I'm not worried, I'll work that off tomorrow anyway, but it was nice to have pizza night with my family and not feel overly guilty.

I don't truly deprive myself of something, but saying "not this time" or "not today" is ok, when I know I can work it in another day. Especially if the treat isn't my favorite, or isn't homemade, or whatever. Like I can pass on a storebought cupcake if I know I can have a nice ice cream treat the next day instead. Whatever makes you happy, but don't say you'll never have another cookie, because you probably will!!!! Enjoy life, this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.
  • jridgway49
    jridgway49 Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't think you will feel deprived, you will start to find other healthy food that you will love. I used to love hamburgers ,now one of my new favorite food is turkey burgers on the grill, I have not cheated and I have found a lot of foods that I really love now, much different foods than I use to eat
  • snaught
    snaught Posts: 8
    Options
    Sunday is my day haha. I crave extremely crappy stuff-- mexican, chinese, mcd's-- so I found that I do better if I designate one day to have a completely crappy meal. Otherwise I get afraid I may use the drive-thru everyday, which is not only bad for my weight but my health. I don't think there is anything wrong with a cheat day, it helps me to break bad habits throughout the week and resist tacos better haha.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want - when I want. I log what I eat and move on. I used to do "cheat days" but found that I like being able to have a little "treat" each and everyday vs blowing one day completely out of the water. I eat in moderation. This is a lifestyle change for me and there's NO WAY I can go the rest of my life not having some of the things I enjoy.

If you feel like you'll binge without the "treats" then figure out how to work them into your daily calories.
    [/quote

Couldn't AGREE more!!!!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I don't feel deprived and I have cut out almost all unhealthy stuff. I have found that ridding my body of the stuff it doesn't need, like refined sugars, processed foods, deep fried anything, and filling it full of natural goodness has all but stopped any craving for "junk" food.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It is healthy and recommended by most that you NOT deprive yourself of the things you really love. I have treats almost daily, but I make sure I've had plenty of healthy food and that my treats fit within my calorie limits for the day (most of the time). On occasion, I allow myself a cheat day where I do go over. I've only done it like twice (one of those days was easter) and I still didn't eat over my maintenance calories, so no harm done. I regularly eat things like spaghetti, lasagna, enchiladas, etc.... I just make sure those dinners are figured in so the calories are within budget. I figure that by doing this, I don't feel like this is a 'diet', I won't feel deprived, and I won't feel the need to binge at some point in the future because I'm making myself crazy. Treat yourself once in a while... it really is good for you... Besides, my two biggest drops in weight came after my cheat days... it confuses your body into giving up more weight than it would otherwise sometimes. :)
  • Sandeeday
    Sandeeday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I kind of figured it made sense. I have not gone over my calories even tonight eating out. Some days I have a hard time coming in to low. What I'm doing seems to be working so that's good.