Biggest Loser Scale maintenance calories diff from MFP

Options
I just got the BIGGEST LOSER scale! :-) It says to maintain my weight I can eat 2300 calories. Which I want to lose weight(duh) so I will eat less....BUT...MyFitnessPal says that a 27 year old girl 5'5" with my life style can only eat 1750 to maintain my weight... So which do I believe?... That's a BIG calorie difference!!! Would the scale be more accurate since it measures body fat body water muscle and bone mass?... If I go by my scales data and i have a goal of 1350 on MFP...wouldn't that mean I have a calorie deficit of 1000 cals a day!!!??? I should either be melting away....or I've gotten myself into a bad deficit and I need to eat more and that's WHY I am NOT losing!??.... Any thoughts and advise... Or experience with this scale??...

My weight yo-yos up and down and I can drop a few pounds and gain them back in a week with no changes to my diet or exercise.... Maybe I'm just losing and gaining water??...

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. When I look online for calorie estimates to maintain my current weight, I get over 2300, but MFP says around 1700. HMMMMMM...

http://www.diet-blog.com/05/how_to_calculate_your_daily_calorie_needs.php

that is the link I just used.
  • msech
    msech Posts: 32
    Options
    If you read the scales tell you a Maintenance: 2208 Calories/day and a Fat Loss Range: 1456 - 1766 Calories/day. MFP gives you the calories you need to lose weight
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I don't believe a word your scale is saying. You would be losing a pound every 4 days... are you?
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you take your current weight times 10 and then add 300, that would be approximately your maintenance calories. Obviously there are a ton of things that will affect the accuracy of that but it's a start. For me, that number is higher than MFP would calculate but probably lower than your scale.
  • twinkle1074
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. The maintenance calories seem pretty low but I guess the smaller you get the less calories you need.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing to do is to stick with one set number and ignore the rest. Heck, don't even look elsewhere because you will confuse yourself even more. Once you start looking more and more into it, you are going to get different answers. I found that I always had different numbers on different scales (I have two in the bathroom). Stick with one that you are comfortable doing, or to be totally sure, ask a doc.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    In looking at Amazon, the reviews on that scale list a lot of complaints about it not being accurate. Included are statements that they can get a different read every time they step onto it. I would, in this case, trust MFP over the scale.

Sarah
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I just got this scale today. It matches my other digital scale as far as body weight goes EXACTLY... I'm curious about what is says about maintenance calories... There is about a 600 calorie difference... I haven't been losing weight at all since joining MFP. Only weight I lost was from before joining and I just plugged that in here. I'm pretty sure it's just water going up and down. I thought....maybe I'm eating too little. According to this scale...I may be!?...

Anyone else have one of these digital scales??....
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. When I look online for calorie estimates to maintain my current weight, I get over 2300, but MFP says around 1700. HMMMMMM...

The problem is that it calculates your exercise calories in it. Put no or little exercise and then it gave you your maintenance calories estimates.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

The problem is that it calculates your exercise calories in it. Put no or little exercise and then it gave you your maintenance calories estimates.

I think MFP does also. I put on here that I exercise 3 times per week as well. I am just curious, that's all. -shrug-
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You are already well into the healthy BMI range. Are you gaining right now or just not losing?
    try increasing to maintain for a couple of weeks and then tweek to try to lose again. At this point concentate on toning and forget the fancy scales for awhile. Think of it as training for "real" rest of your life maintaining.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I think MFP does also. I put on here that I exercise 3 times per week as well. I am just curious, that's all. -shrug-
    No it does NOT. I set my lifestyle sedentary as I have a desk job, but I set my exercise goal/level to 4 times a week 1hr. MFP do not give me more calorie budget on general just because I declared exercise 4 times a week. On the given day when I actually DO exercise, MFP gives me those extra calories for that day, but it won't gave you a bigger calorie budget to star with.