Leave Me Alone in the Locker Room!

Options
chunky_pinup
chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
edited April 2016 in Chit-Chat
I’ve recently encountered a bit of a predicament in my gym, and I’m not really sure what to do about it. I try to avoid confrontation (for the most part) and I don’t want to create a stressful environment in my happy place, so looking for suggestions.

Very few women use my gym in the early morning when I’m there (around 5am). Often, I’m the only one getting dressed after my workout in the women’s locker room, except for the rare occasion where there might be one or two other people. But it’s a very large locker room and you don’t even see the others.

The past four times I’ve worked out, there is another woman who is getting ready for work at the same time as me. Every. Single. Time. She has come up to me to talk about mother-effing Shakeology. She saw me drinking my protein shake while getting ready the first day I noticed her in there and decided to tell me how it was garbage and that all of her clients try others, but always go back to her because it’s just SO MUCH BETTER. I told her I’m allergic to nearly everything in their shakes (which is true) and she goes on to tell me that all of the allergens have been removed?!?! Like really? Your company created hypoallergenic Whey?? LOL, I don’t think so. I told her I’m not interested and she was back in my face the next morning. This time I didn’t have my shake with me (it was in my car), and she had to make a comment that my body was thanking me for not drinking my garbage and she could tell I was begging for more info. She is extremely rude, trying to sell me her junk, and I’ve told her over and over that I’m not interested.

I want to talk to the management regarding this, but I KNOW she will know it’s me because we are the ONLY ones in the locker room. I don’t want to be a tattle tale, but dear lord, I have asked REPEATEDLY and she just won’t stop.

What would you do? In my head, I want to get violent…but I know that’s a no-no.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ignore her and do your workout?
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Try changing in the bathroom for a while and then she might get the message. LOL!
  • chunky_pinup
    Options
    Ignore her and do your workout?

I've already done my workout, but thanks for your condescension.
  • chunky_pinup
    Options
    I wouldn't care what she thought of me...I would definitely speak to management before I inevitably strangled her one morning.

It makes me feel much more normal to hear someone else contemplate strangulation...thank you :)
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would struggle to remain calm, I am quite sure the management do not want people pushing their own products and they will probably stop it. Then simply pretend she is invisible! Otherwise "I have told you I am not interested, you are being rude and ruining my down time." Straight talk is the best way in my world ;-)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You can always try the passive aggressive approach.
    Keep your headphones on...sing out loud...she should get the hint. If she keeps talking start dancing
  • chunky_pinup
    Options
    I keep telling her I'm not interested...and I don't want to be "that" person...but I'm about to be like, ummm...I'm in way better shape than you are from the looks of it, so why on earth would I change up what I'm already doing?? But I try to keep my evil twin stuffed in my trunk!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she has tried hawking her wares to others in the gym. If not, she isn't very business savvy.

I would tell her straight up, "For the last time, ma'am, I am not interested. Please don't make me report yo ###."

What's she gonna do-- smack you in the rear with a rolled up towel as you turn away? Most gyms take self-promotion pretty serious. Does your gym sell products? I'm sure if you informed them they would set her straight, but it would be kind of you to give her one last strike.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care what she thought of me...I would definitely speak to management before I inevitably strangled her one morning.

+1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What exact words have you used to tell her you're not interested?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making out yet?
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making out yet?

When in doubt, make out.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sooooo annoying. If you've tried politely and she clearly isn't getting it - I would give her some attitude back. It sucks you're in such a situation
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    At times like this I wish I could channel just a little bit of my deceased father, who was incredibly rude to everyone. I imagine he would have said "Give it a rest. I wouldn't drink that crap if you paid me."

I could never bring myself to talk like that, but I know that sometimes, when someone is being incredibly rude and not respecting your boundaries, you pretty much are forced to be rude back to them so they will leave you alone.
  • postmordem10
    postmordem10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you really want to settle this so you can be in peace after your workouts I suggest being assertive and concise. You made clear on here that you don't want or need her, or her plethora of useless knowledge. That she's trying to shove down your throat. Assertively ask her to leave you alone. Tell her that the main reason (true or untrue) that you come to the gym early is to be alone. And you would appreciate it if she could respect that. I'm sure through out her process of aquiring all these "CLIENTS" she has been told a time or two to go die. She's probably used to it trust me. But honor your feelings. It may be challenging since your nonconfrontational but I bet you'll feel super proud of you do. ☺
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    How hard is it to tell someone "stop bothering me" with a face set like stone and then walk away? People do this all the time and it makes them very happy. And that's why you're having fantasies of violence, it's because you don't do this. And please don't tattletale on this desperate broad to the poor schmuck who works the desk at the gym for $9 an hour. Just take the bull by the horns and handle it. What is the world coming to?

This isn't a case of bullying, it's financial desperation & she won't cease, until she's forced to. This woman obviously got herself, into a financial hole; as most MLM victims do. She's just too desperate, to sell her products; to choose to stop.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    @chunky_pinup tell her that since she can't take no for an answer, you know that she's struggling financially. That if the products were so great, she wouldn't have to hustle you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I bet The poor "schmuck" who works the front desk would pay for a chance to handle this! If you don't want to talk to management, I'd ask her rhetorically why she's being so disrespectful of your request to leave you alone. If she does start to answer I'd say, please, for the last time, leave me alone. She still doesn't, management it is. Like others, I wonder if your gym might have strict "No Solicitation" policies and would take this very seriously. Assuming they have their own shake bar, It's competition, not to mention bothering happy and dedicated members (revenue streams) such as yourself