Why am I not losing weight & following my fitness pal & exercising?

Options
Hello . im new to the site. An im having a little trouble getting started. I loat a couple pounds my first 2 weeks. An then now.... Nothing. I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome as well . but doctor says ill do fine just changing my appitite and activity daily. Advice anyone. Thank u . also .. Im 5'6 190 ... I want to atleast get to 175-180ish before summer.... Woule make my year.

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    How diligent are you on weighing your food?

Are you for sure in deficit?

How about excersize? Could you be gaining muscle and losing fat?

More info is helpfull
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and flirting with a 199/200 lb weight right now. What is your daily calorie goal? What does your daily activity/exercise look like? My phone is saying your diary isn't open, if you open it we might be able to help out with common tracking errors.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Can't view your diary, so no idea.
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi,when did you start the process? What kind of exercise do you do? Cardio, HIIT,weights ? How is your calories intake? Are you in deficit?
    Normally if you follow a deficit and exercise it should work. But do HIIT and weights ( heavy not pink weight) to get faster results.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Best article I've read on this topic. Everyone has to revisit this issue from time to time: http://www.muscleforlife.com/not-losing-weight/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    One week could simply be the normal variations in weight loss. There are weeks you will lose, weeks you won't and weeks you will even gain. It is the overall trend that is important. Until you have 4 or more weeks in you cannot tell what the trend is. It is likely to early, since it was only one week, to say you have anything wrong with how you are doing things, so you would probably be better not getting very concerned about one week. Keep doing what you are doing, and see how thing progress for the next week. If there is still no loss, cut back a little bit or tighten up your measuring of portions by starting to use a digital kitchen scale and measuring in grams if you are not already.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    How diligent are you on weighing your food?

Are you for sure in deficit?

How about excersize? Could you be gaining muscle and losing fat?

More info is helpfull

That would not happen for a woman in a deficit, at least not to the point of masking fat loss. Muscle is very difficult to put on, especially for women.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
  • belldeb56
    belldeb56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank u !!
  • MissGB11
    MissGB11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pcos is a harsh mistress. I study science so I tend to take my advice from pros and from peer reviewed reports etc. Recently I found a study that found pcos women lose more fat/cm on a 40% protein, 30% carb and 30% fat diet. Here's the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158730
    I find it really hard to get my protein up, I've resorted to musashi protein powder today. Are you off sugar as well? Insulin resistance makes life so difficult now sugar and HFCS is in everything. Careful of the "all natural" bs and check where the sugars are in the ingredients list (order dictates quantity in Australia eg if sugar is first it is predominantly sugar) and the nutritional info.
    Just don't get disheartened - women with pcos struggle to lose weight, its our curse, but losing just 5% can help relieve other symptoms.
    Would you like a pcos buddy?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've been tracking sporadically. A lot of days have nothing, some days look incomplete. A few days look like you tracked, but did you measure everything?