when you feel like giving up you....do what?

Options
what do you do to stay motivated?

Replies

• gedonohue
    gedonohue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep busy. Stay away from the kitchen and drink more water.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Look at my weight progress chart. I look at my "inbody" results too and remind myself how far I've come and how close I am to my goals
  • Working_Hard4me
    Working_Hard4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I try to keep busy that best I can. I also read over my goals to remind myself why I started this journey to healthy living.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    misstica6 wrote: »
    Watch My 600 Pound Life. I think everyone thinks, "That could never be me"; but in our own lives we have challenges we never thought we'd have. Usually, that's a good kick in the butt for me.

This... I really thought I was alone in doing this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I never felt that way. When I get stuck it makes me want to push harder or find a new fitness goal. There's no "giving up".
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, take a long hot bath or take a nap. All of those things clear my head and help me to look at situations with new eyes.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Read success stories, come into the community here and read some posts, look at my progress chart and see that I am actually doing well, take a walk, etc. I have a few things I go to when I feel unmotivated. The biggest thing I do is just track my food anyway and tell myself it's okay to go over my calories that day... almost always I end up doing way better than I expected, just by the sheer act of tracking and giving myself permission to have an "off day."
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Dig in & fight. This is not an easy thing to do. If it was north America would be full of fit people. If you fall down get up & do better tomorrow... :)
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I put the scale away. I won't let it define who I am. As long as I continue with eating healthy within my calorie goal I will be happy.

Other things I do is; Look through progress charts, and look at success stories, watch fitness type shows, seeing other people lose weight and getting fit really makes me motivated.

Look at older pictures of self at heaviest and know that I can easily get back there if I quit and give up.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I come here and read the Motivation and Support board. supporting others is a great way to get your perspective back!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I feel like this answer won't be very popular, but if I'm really that close to the edge, I like to give myself a little leeway. For me, that sometimes means skipping my protein shake and allowing myself to end my day below my protein goal, which gives me some more wiggle room in what I'm going to eat. Sometimes it means letting myself go over my calories for the day. Sometimes it means not logging for that day. It just depends. I eat at maintenance but am assuming you're in a deficit, and I gotta say, there's nothing wrong with coming out of your deficit and eating at maintenance for a day, especially if the alternative is throwing in the towel!

I'd also like to say that I agree with everyone else too! In general, fighting for it is the best thing to do. You just gotta learn yourself!
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel like this answer won't be very popular, but if I'm really that close to the edge, I like to give myself a little leeway. For me, that sometimes means skipping my protein shake and allowing myself to end my day below my protein goal, which gives me some more wiggle room in what I'm going to eat. Sometimes it means letting myself go over my calories for the day. Sometimes it means not logging for that day. It just depends. I eat at maintenance but am assuming you're in a deficit, and I gotta say, there's nothing wrong with coming out of your deficit and eating at maintenance for a day, especially if the alternative is throwing in the towel!

THIS!

Because for me that is the reality of my life. Sometimes it gets too much, sometimes real life gets in the way, sometimes I go on holiday and have too much beer - but I get back on it. It keeps me on track; it keeps me sane and I'm not perfect - but I will keep on going.
  • Xxlune
    Xxlune Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As they said, when you feel that you're close to giving up, eat at maintenance. Maybe just have that one dessert you've been craving. Hell, if you have to, go over for a day. Eat until you're super full.

But the idea is: enjoy it, and then come back to MFP and the counting. Make it a one day thing and then just, continue, with fresh spirit!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just think about how much I've lost so far, and how close I am to my goal. I had last weekend away so I ate and drank things I don't normally, which made me feel like I've really had enough of being on a diet, so the last few days has been a struggle to get back into it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,841 Member
    Options
    Jdavis3111 wrote: »
    what do you do to stay motivated?

Just stick with it.

Tomorrow it will be better.
  • HoneyRose77
    HoneyRose77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I remember why I'm doing this. You burn calories doing a lot of different things that you may not realize. Exercise can be stuff in the gym, walking outside, cleaning your house, mowing the lawn. Dancing in my living room is another favorite. Sometimes you say "Today, I'll walk around the block." and that is where you begin. Every day is a new day to start. Think of what your goal is and what you can realistically do every week. Ultimately, do this for you, or else its harder to stick with it. Most important: find something you like doing. Good luck!
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulate myself. Reaching a hard point just means that I am progressing in a difficult task. The harder it gets the more important it is to keep going. If it was easy I would be done already. It's not. Even when I mess up, even more important to focus on the positive aspect of realizing it and making an effort in the right direction.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    . . . I make 1 small goal for the day and keep trying. Baby steps.