Fat Burners and pills. Do they work?

Options
Hi I've recently started dieting last week and I am fully motivated to reach my goal. I am 160kg and 195cm massively overweight. I am sedentary. I have cut my calories down to myfitnesspal recommendations and I have cut out all junk food and soft drinks. I went to a nutrition store and saw all these fat burners and weight loss pills. Just wondering if anyone knows if any of them work. And if so, which one should I get. I am from Australia. Thankyou

Replies

• jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    No, just no. Don't waste your time, money or emotions on false hope. If they worked we all would take them and live happily ever after.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No, just no. Don't waste your time, money or emotions on false hope. If they worked we all would take them and live happily ever after.

This. When you lose slow and steady over the next year or so, you will feel so much prouder of yourself...because you did it yourself. No gimmicks, no fads. And when people ask you how you did it you can tell them you just ate fewer calories than you burned over and over and over. Good luck, and good journey!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Hi I've recently started dieting last week and I am fully motivated to reach my goal. I am 160kg and 195cm massively overweight. I am sedentary. I have cut my calories down to myfitnesspal recommendations and I have cut out all junk food and soft drinks. I went to a nutrition store and saw all these fat burners and weight loss pills. Just wondering if anyone knows if any of them work. And if so, which one should I get. I am from Australia. Thankyou

First establish the basics....weigh your food and log diligently. Find your exercise routine, macros and food choices and see how your body responds to these basics. Supplements only help if you have the basics down and operating for you.
    I don't use a fat burner, per se (my diet and exercise routine literally torches fat), but I do supplement generously with omega-3, which is supposed to help increase lean body mass.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

The only way fat is burned is being in a calorie deficit. Judging from the wording of your post, and this may sound harsh, your greatest benefit could come from education. Weight loss isn't about cutting out this, or cutting out that, from your diet. It's about eating a well balanced diet below your projected calorie burn. There is no other way to do it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    No they don't work. To be precise at best they may increase your metabolism a very small amount for a very short time, then your body adjusts and they don't make anything lighter except for your wallet.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Almost 24 hours since the last "fat-burning pill" thread. What took so long?

There are only a few topics in this entire forum.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    You're Australian - didn't you see that article a few weeks ago about the guy who damaged his liver so badly with those fat burners that the doctors had to give him a new one, but it was so bad they couldn't wait and had to give him a hep liver?

Or that British girl who literally burned to death from the inside out after taking them?
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If any fat-burning pill actually worked, it would be common knowledge and a majority of Americans would be taking it. It would be the best selling thing in America. You wouldn't have to go seek it out and find it in a drug store somewhere. They don't work.