C25k: starting point

Options
So I'm starting a Couch to 5k program. I'm not a total couch potato, but have never been a runner either. I can run a mile without stopping (slowly... like 11:20), so I figured I'd skip week 1. Did week 2 day 1 today, and it seemed too easy too. Is it okay to try starting at week 3 next time? Is this custamizable, or should I stick to the script?

Also, what are y'all's routines for working on other goals simultaneously? Like do you lift on your c25k off days? Do you just rest on those days and cross train after your run? I kind of feel like being in the gym 5 days in a row burns me out, and it doesn't work great with my work schedule anyway. Thoughts?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm on week 7 never having been a runner and unable to run a mile u nail last week. I think it would be OK for you to skip to week 3, maybe even 4. I suggest you pace your overall workout schedule based on what's comfortable for you. I sometimes do a lighter class after I run, but not the hard ones. Gotta do what works for you & were each different. I don't follow the same schedule every week. Have fun!
  • dunsmoke
    dunsmoke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was about the same but I went ahead and started from the beginning. It was nice to build up.
  • OopsGrace
    OopsGrace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a C25K tomorrow! Add me as a friend for motivation if you like!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you can already run for 10 minutes straight you might even be able to skip to week 4 or 5. If you can go for 20, you're already at week 6. It's definitely easy to customize; there's no harm in skipping ahead if what you're doing is too easy.

I don't do anything else besides cardio so I can't help with a routine!
  • Maurissa77
    Maurissa77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can run for an hour+ without stopping (terrible pace mind you) but after day three of this my body (legs, hips and as of last night, my one knee) are really pissed off at me.
    I vote you skip ahead, but don't try and be a hero like I did or your body will rebel❤️
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you can run a mile without stopping, I would start with whatever day/week would have you going about a mile total, then build up from there.

You can combine your run/lift days if you want. I would run first, especially if you're working your legs that day. Also not recommended to run 2 days in a row until you've been running consistently for a few a months.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just finished week 2 of c25k. I've been doing that M-W-F and lifting on Tu-Th. I haven't had any issues so far. :smile:

ETA: Of course, I will reassess once I start running longer lengths of time.
  • reyes91583
    reyes91583 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have 1 month on week 2 it's 90 second and for some reason I can go ahead because I feel so tired at the end of the 6 round, maybe my body it's not ready to continue!
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    reyes91583 wrote: »
    I have 1 month on week 2 it's 90 second and for some reason I can go ahead because I feel so tired at the end of the 6 round, maybe my body it's not ready to continue!

Slow down for the running part.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Have you tried moving on to week 3? I worry at the start of each new week whether I can manage, but give it a try anyway and it's amazing what you can do. Was a hot, quivering mess on the very first day, still struggling at the end of week 1 but moved on and despite getting the wobbles at the beginning of the week today completed week 4 day 2 and I actually feel I did pretty good and am looking forward to Saturday's run.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Due to injury (pulled adductors and achilles) I started back at the beginning of C25K after working through it late last year (second time after broken hip), prior to my 8 week break I was running 5K 3x per week but decided to start way back at the beginning as I wasn't sure whether running would aggravate my injury or not. - Also still under doctors orders not to overdo things

I have found that as my fitness level was already reasonable by starting back at the very beginning I could concentrate on how I was running rather than just getting to the end of the section. I have just completed W6D2 (2 x 10 mins with 3 min walk) and my posture, core engagement, breathing and muscle group use are back to where they were when I was running 5x per week prior to my original injury. No gasping or slumping. Pace is not where it once was but that will come with time.

Because of this running is a joy again rather than a chore or something I feel I should do for health reasons.

It is everyone's individual choice but for me going back to the start has reaped more benefits than jumping to the point where I feel tired/taxed/strained.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    So I'm starting a Couch to 5k program. I'm not a total couch potato, but have never been a runner either. I can run a mile without stopping (slowly... like 11:20), so I figured I'd skip week 1. Did week 2 day 1 today, and it seemed too easy too. Is it okay to try starting at week 3 next time? Is this custamizable, or should I stick to the script?

Also, what are y'all's routines for working on other goals simultaneously? Like do you lift on your c25k off days? Do you just rest on those days and cross train after your run? I kind of feel like being in the gym 5 days in a row burns me out, and it doesn't work great with my work schedule anyway. Thoughts?

I'll say no, it's not a good idea to skip a week.

Yes, they will feel easy. However, the program is doing more than improving your cardio fitness: It's also improving your structural support required for running.

Running is a high impact activity, which strains and stresses a lot of joints. You need to slowly work into it, even if it feels easy. It's why, although I could run 35 miles per week (Cardio fitness-wise), I wouldn't. I'm not trained up for the volume of mileage, structurally.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Slow down. Make sure you're running at a conversational pace (You can speak a sentence at a time).
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Yes, they will feel easy. However, the program is doing more than improving your cardio fitness: It's also improving your structural support required for running.

Running is a high impact activity, which strains and stresses a lot of joints. You need to slowly work into it, even if it feels easy. It's why, although I could run 35 miles per week (Cardio fitness-wise), I wouldn't. I'm not trained up for the volume of mileage, structurally.

He brings up a good point. My own problem with trying to run regularly was not breathing or exhaustion, but joint/tendon injuries. I'm older than you so I'm more prone, but if you have had ANY previous problems (knee, Achilles, feet, shins etc), I'd stick with the program. If not (lucky you), I don't see the harm in jumping in at week 3 or 4.

• kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options

He brings up a good point. My own problem with trying to run regularly was not breathing or exhaustion, but joint/tendon injuries. I'm older than you so I'm more prone, but if you have had ANY previous problems (knee, Achilles, feet, shins etc), I'd stick with the program. If not (lucky you), I don't see the harm in jumping in at week 3 or 4.

I jumped to week 4 and feel much better with it now. I have no joint issues and have been jogging intermittently without a program for several months, and have strong legs from lifting. So thanks; I'm good now.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I jumped to week 4 and feel much better with it now. I have no joint issues and have been jogging intermittently without a program for several months, and have strong legs from lifting. So thanks; I'm good now.

Just make sure you only run 3x a week, and take a mandatory rest day (no-running) inbetween each day you do the program. Until about the point you finish, can run a 5k or 30 minutes straight, then you are probably safe to add a 4th day. That will allow you to rest/recover properly and avoid the joint/tendon injuries folks are talking about. But otherwise, great job and keep at it!