New Guy: I am a new diabetic with some questions.

Options
Hello folks. I have suger as a diet tracking item. Is there an acceptable target for diabetics? BD

Replies

• MomScholar
    Options
    Howdy! I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in March. I've been told to watch just the general carbs on foods, not necessarily the just the sugar amounts. Most diabetic information says to aim for 45-60 grams of carbs per meal. However, I've personally found that I need to aim even lower depending on what I'm eating. That's one thing I hate about diabetes is that I can't just take what others say because each food influences everyone differently. I've had suggestions where people have said they can eat something & not have their glucose levels go up, but when I eat the same thing mine go up a lot. It's really just trial and error.

The ADA has a free program where you can get information about diabetes and support. Check out their site http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/recently-diagnosed/living-with-type-2-diabetes/ - you can sign up for newsletters on their site too. Good luck!!!
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago and momscholar is right. watch your carbs because they turn into sugar in your body. feel free to add me as a friend
  • busydad186
    Options
    Thank you for the web site.

Based on some of the recommended foods, my only problem may be keeping my calories down! BD the DB:smile:
  • busydad186
    Options
    I will keep an eye on my carbs and thanks for the inviation to add you as a friend. BD
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Glad to see ya on the site. The ladies are right I've been diabetic for over 6 years and your sugar should stay in the range above but the carbs can be a bear on you. I know that when I eat pizza even one slice my sugar is going to raise way up and yet ice cream doesn't effect me as much. You will get to know your body pretty well.

The other thing that I think is really important is to eat 5 - 6 times a day. This helps me tremendously It keeps my sugar more leveled and also keeps my energy up. Make sure you test a few times a day especially in the beginning. Now I know my body well enough that I know when my sugar is elevated.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend as well we all can use the support.
  • smagee1973
    smagee1973 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I haven't been on the site that long but I totally love it! I am not diabetic however i have grown up with them. My grandmother has been diabetic since I can remember and my father is as well. This is one reason I am trying my best to lose weight. I prefer to not be diagnosed with it. Since I had gestational diabeties when I was pregnant and it runs in my family on both sides, I am bound to get it. :( Everyone is correct though. Carbs and sugar effect everyone differently. My suggestion would be to not eat anything with more than approximately 10 sugars in it and watch your carb intake. That includes any bread, corn, pasta, etc. My dad hates that cuz if we would let him he would eat corn and potatoes at dinner time, plus a roll. lol I am sure he sneaks it when my mom and I are not looking - just like the cookies. :) Feel free to add me as a friend and good luck in your journey.