Gaining Weight.....

Options
Sooo im offficially frustrated... I weighed in on wednesday night because I knew I wouldnt have time to do it thursday morning & i totalled 17lbs lost.... Sooo JUST TODAY I sneak back on the scale & ive gained 7lbs back.... Why is this?! I walk & exercise all the time & i havent gone over my calories in awhile... What gives?!

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training and how low are your calories?
  • lisadworak
    lisadworak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Girl I am new and I see you have lost alot of weight, but by just reading your post I can see that you answered your own question. You haven't been keeping track of your calories so that is probably the problem. Just saying...
    If I read it wrong I am sorry.
    Good Luck!
    Lisa
  • solaryn
    solaryn Posts: 2
    Options
    You should weigh yourself at the same time everyday, probably when you first wake up. Otherwise your weigh-ins will be inconsistent. I know I fluctuate several lbs during the day, that may be where the gain came from.
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    Maybe you should re-adjust your calorie goals because they tend to change along with weight loss.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    did you weight at night today? You don't really think you gained 7lbs in 48 hours do you? you need to weigh at the same time of day, same clothes, and preferrably in the morning after you have peed and before you have eaten or had anything to drink. If you are weighing at night after a full day of food you are going to be heavier. I weigh every day but always like I just described that way I know the number is reliable but even then things can affect it. You can weigh daily but need to look at your weekly trend to see where you are really at. Try weighing tomorrow morning and see what number you get. I read an article where a lady weighed herself all day at different times and wrote down what she had eaten,how she felt and what she was wearing. It varies widely.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    give it another day or two and weigh in again, at your regular time. 7 lbs in two days is basically impossible unless you sat around chain binging the entire 48 hours. It's most likely extra water retention for some reason or another... either from more sodium or carbs than usual, or TOM.
    (this is assuming the 17lbs down on wednesday was relatively in line with your other recent weigh-ins. I've seen the scale occasionally dip artificially low before.)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium? Could it be TOM? Are you weighing & measuring your food?

Maybe you should give the scale up & just measure yourself.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Sooo im offficially frustrated... I weighed in on wednesday night because I knew I wouldnt have time to do it thursday morning & i totalled 17lbs lost.... Sooo JUST TODAY I sneak back on the scale & ive gained 7lbs back.... Why is this?! I walk & exercise all the time & i havent gone over my calories in awhile... What gives?!

To have gained that many pounds in 2 days, you would have had to eat 24, 500 EXTRA calories...so you might have gained a few pounds, but it will probably go down again quickly...

My advice would be to give it a few days to settle back down...and don't weigh at night after you eat...best time for most people is first thing after waking up--your body's usually had time to digest all of the last day's food.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! :)
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I do the same thing. NO WAY can you gain 7 pounds that quickly. There are two things that contribute to that... Digestive tract and water weight. I would suggest you weigh yourself in the morning. Weigh yourself at the same time. You usually weigh more at night. You put liquids and food down the hatch. Also their is still stuff in the digestive tract. LOTS of factors. Just keep your head up. Look at how your clothes fit. Also, when you gain muscle faster than you lose fat, you will appear to be gaining weight - muscle weighs more per volume than fat.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Likely water retention, either from lots of sodium, not drinking enough water or good old pms. Drink lots of water for the next couple of days and watch your sodium and I bet most of it will go away. Don't forget that it takes 3500 EXTRA calories to gain a pound, so I really really really doubt that you've actually gained 7 pounds. Unless of course you've been killing and eating elephants dipped in chocolate in your spare time!
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh in at the same time of day as when you totaled 17 pounds lost? It's typical to fluctuate a lot with water and or food weight, especially if you chug a ton of water (like I do) while working out. Sometimes I'll weigh 5 pounds more than usual if I've had a lot of water and my stomach is full. Weigh yourself tomorrow and see if it's low again. In any case, you're on the right track! Keep it up!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There's no way you gained 7 pounds in 2 days. it's not possible. Did you have a really big meal before you weighed in? Is your scale having issues? Did you retain a lot of water for some reason?

I don't know what the answer is, but you didn't gain 7 pounds of fat in 2 days.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't do this to yourself. I know how hard it is because I used to do it too. Don't weigh yourself every day - it's will drive you crazy, it will disappoint you, and it will frustrate you more than it's worth. It's not possible for you to gain 7 lbs in one day - you would have to have eater over 21000 calories. It could be water, hormonal changes, etc. but not weight gain.

Please stop doing that - I've been there, too. The disappointment is bigger than anything and can make you give up and it will drive you crazy!!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    OK, so we're talking about 36 hours, yes? Wednesday night to friday morning.
    Sooo... It can't be about what you're eating or not (except maybe sodium), can't be that you've gained fat or muscle. 1 lb of fat is about 3500 calories, so that would be 24500 calories. Not the cause. (Muscle is a different amount but not by enough that you could have put on 7 lbs in 36 hours).

It could be water retention, or any of a bunch of other things that cause daily fluctuations in weight. Most people weigh less in the morning, but that doesn't mean anything. Either you didn't lose quite as much as you first thought (and that was a bit of a fluke) or you haven't really gained it back (and the 2nd weight was a fluke). But even if the 2nd is the correct one, you've lost 10 lbs! Celebrate that victory and keep moving forward. :wink:
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    will you make your diary public so we can get a better idea of where you are at nutritionally?
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Likely water retention, either from lots of sodium, not drinking enough water or good old pms. Drink lots of water for the next couple of days and watch your sodium and I bet most of it will go away. Don't forget that it takes 3500 EXTRA calories to gain a pound, so I really really really doubt that you've actually gained 7 pounds. Unless of course you've been killing and eating elephants dipped in chocolate in your spare time!

LOL! Chocolate dipped elephants!
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree. When I don't keep track of everything I put into my mouth, it so easy to taste a little of this and a little of that. Everything counts. Also, I personally don't think it's a good idea to weigh to often.
    When your weight fluctuates up it is so discouraging. That has made me fall off the wagon to many times !!!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Girl I am new and I see you have lost alot of weight, but by just reading your post I can see that you answered your own question. You haven't been keeping track of your calories so that is probably the problem. Just saying...
    If I read it wrong I am sorry.
    Good Luck!
    Lisa

Umm... I said I HAVENT gone over my calories in awhile.... Meaning I havent eating over my set amount of calories.... I ALWAYS keep track of my calories. EVERY DAY, EVERYTHING I EAT....
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself at the same time everyday, probably when you first wake up. Otherwise your weigh-ins will be inconsistent. I know I fluctuate several lbs during the day, that may be where the gain came from.

I weight in 1x a week. Same time every thursday morning.