Junk food withdrawals

Options
Hi. I'm a month or so into mfp and everything is going great weight loss wise, I've lost 14 pounds and can already see some change in myself. One thing that's more recently started to bother me though is I've been waking up with cold sweats, headaches etc and I was wondering if it's something to do with my diet change. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    During February (the shortest month!) I decided to see whether I could stop eating refined/added sugar for a month, just to see what everyone had been banging on about. The first four or five days I had what I call the "hungry headache" for most of the day, even though I wasn't physically hungry. It was gone by the end of the first week. I'm back on the sugar again, albeit being a little more aware of it and therefore eating less junk, but since then I've been more aware of how bad ingesting large quantities of sugar makes me feel.

Question - are you drinking a lot of diet soft drinks? I've heard stories about people reacting negatively (headaches etc.) to artificial sweeteners when they simply substitute the diet version of a junk food product for the regular version, rather than changing the types of food they eat to less processed stuff. It's never happened to me but it's probably worth considering.

Keep up the good work and I hope the headaches go away!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you've been at it a month I would have expected any withdrawal symptoms to have passed by now. Possibly that you have overly restricted and arent eating enough.

As a teen I would get the shakes/cold sweat if I hadnt eaten/drunk anything. I assumed it was a blood sugar thing, my cousin was the same. He once passed out and fell through the glass shower screen because he skipped eating anything (he was running late for work). It sounds like that by severe enough that its actually waking you from your sleep. Do you feel better if you have something to eat or a drink (like juice?).
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How many calories are you eating each day?

What is your current weekly goal?

What is your current weight?

Would you be willing to open your food diary?

Answers to these questions will get you some better answers, but the symptoms you are describing are not good.

My guess is that you are either not eating enough or you need to go see a doctor.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The chemicals are leaving your body you are detoxing
  • kcerrillo
    kcerrillo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a month or so into mfp and everything is going great weight loss wise, I've lost 14 pounds and can already see some change in myself. One thing that's more recently started to bother me though is I've been waking up with cold sweats, headaches etc and I was wondering if it's something to do with my diet change. Has anyone else experienced this?

U need more water!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!