Workout routine for weight loss?

Options
I currently weigh 250 lbs and I want to get down to 160 relatively quickly. Right now I'm doing intermittent fasting and just walking doing my daily routines as exercise. Is there any way I could speed up the weight loss process without killing my body?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope.

set your calorie goal to lose 2lb per week, eat those calories, do some regular exercise - a bit of cardio and some strength/resistance training for maintaining your muscle and stop being impatient.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Forget the wanting to lose the weight relatively quickly out of your head is my advice.

Aim for 1 -2lbs loss per week and be as active as you can. Walking is a great form of exercise for starters, also weight bearing exercise is great too - either bodyweight workouts or free weights.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    No quick solution to lose 90lbs. You are looking @ about a year of dedication to the process to loose that kind of weight. If you set your weight loss to more than 2lbs per week you are likely to cave in & fail. That's the way it is & if you really want to do it you will succeed....
  • jamesrsg15
    jamesrsg15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Forget the wanting to lose the weight relatively quickly out of your head is my advice.

Aim for 1 -2lbs loss per week and be as active as you can. Walking is a great form of exercise for starters, also weight bearing exercise is great too - either bodyweight workouts or free weights.

Is it possible to push 3 lbs a week though? I think I could do that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jamesrsg15 wrote: »

Not healthily, no.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Make small sustainable changes, you'll lose the weight slower, but you'll have a greater chance of maintaining the weight loss. Would you rather lose 90 lbs quickly and regain in 1-2 years later, or lose it slowly over a year or more and maintain that loss. I know what I'd choose.

Learn the love the process, change your lifestyle, lose weight while maintaining a balanced life.
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way, to get to 250lbs you did not do it quickly. It was an accumulative result of bad decisions. These bad decisions became your lifestyle. To lose weight, you're essentially changing your life as you know it. You're pushing your body to do things it's not used to and many times won't want to do. The purpose of losing weight slowly, is to get your mind to adjust to this new lifestyle you're creating for yourself. Do you think once you've reached 160lbs you're going to go back to how it was? Of course not. You'll gain it all back. By doing it 1-2lbs a week, you're letting your mind change with your body and enjoying the process.

Also, please realize that 1lb = 3500 calories. If you've already started counting your calories, you'll realize how much that is. If you need help, feel free to PM me.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Do not rush this. If you truly want to succeed, make this a life change. Dedicate yourself to it and get in it for the long haul.

Why do you want to lose it so quickly? It's better, both mentally and physically, to lose it steadily. Not as fast as possible.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1 to 2lbs a week is more ideal...
  • jamesrsg15
    jamesrsg15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jpat0 wrote: »
    Think about it this way, to get to 250lbs you did not do it quickly. It was an accumulative result of bad decisions. These bad decisions became your lifestyle. To lose weight, you're essentially changing your life as you know it. You're pushing your body to do things it's not used to and many times won't want to do. The purpose of losing weight slowly, is to get your mind to adjust to this new lifestyle you're creating for yourself. Do you think once you've reached 160lbs you're going to go back to how it was? Of course not. You'll gain it all back. By doing it 1-2lbs a week, you're letting your mind change with your body and enjoying the process.

Also, please realize that 1lb = 3500 calories. If you've already started counting your calories, you'll realize how much that is. If you need help, feel free to PM me.

Thank you. This was very insightful. I never thought about it this way
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Jpat0 wrote: »

Thank you. This was very insightful. I never thought about it this way

Glad to help, wish you the best on your journey!
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. Ever wonder why the New Year gym crowd quits the gym in 3 weeks? They push themselves too hard, and then get disappointed with lack of early results.

Remember, the longer it takes to achieve something, the more permanent that change becomes. Just focus on losing 1-2lbs a week, one day you will look at yourself in the mirror and realize you reached your goal a while ago!

Basically, just focus on eating well and hitting up the gym 3x a week, then look at yourself in a year. You can realistically expect to be down 50lbs or more. Imagine the REST OF YOUR LIFE with that weight down? You are only 19, take your time, do it right, and make it permanent.
  • DonaldCriola
    DonaldCriola Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A great workout program that started me with great success is called MFT28 by Greg Plitt. U can find it all on YouTube. The workout is ur cardio as well if ur doing it right
  • crispw60
    crispw60 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello James,

Firstly, congrats on your quest to live longer and be healthy! As you've already heard, it can be a tough road to hoe but wow, so much negativo-ism. I know everyone means well but I believe these absolute answers are assuming too much and not being realistic.

We don't know anything about your health, medical status, level of fitness, or how you acquired 250 pounds, so you must consider the well-intended but uninformed responses you're getting. I will presume you've been cleared by your doctor to a) perform such physical activities as reasonable and necessary and b) to pursue a 90-lb weight loss.

Let's understand that despite what you've heard here, your first few months of activity + managing your calorie intake will see weight virtually dripping off you, if said activity and diet is that different from how you achieved 250. You'll see the more prudently advised 2-lb/week loss as you get closer to your goal but for now, enjoy the large fruits of your labor. But please don't engage in fasting. It's counterproductive and actually destructive to your body. You need to eat "well"!

There's only one way to lose weight and don't let anyone tell you any different: caloric deficit. Do that through a decrease to calorie intake alone or combine with the marvelous effects of physical activity. Related to that fact is another: by definition, a 'diet' will doom you to certain failure in the long run. It's been proven millions of times that a grand total of zero diets really work. What you need for permanent weight loss and to maintain a healthy BMI is a lifestyle change. That just means eat well and get physical activity on a recurring basis; emphasis on whole foods.

The myth that a pound equals 3,500 calories has been dispelled some time ago. Ignore it because it's horsehockey; not even important.

You want a truly authoritative answer to your original question? Get an appointment with a registered dietician.

Otherwise, read further. Determine the # of calories you would need to 'maintain' your weight and deduct 20% to create a deficit. Search for the Harris-Benedict Method for a formula-based calculator, which has many factors built-in. Then reserve 1g of protein for each pound of your bodyweight. Another 20% of your calorie intake is for fat. Finally, the remainder of your calorie allowance goes to carbos.

It'll be tough consuming that much protein in a day but try. It's very important so that you lose fat and not muscle. Of course, everything you're eating is the healthy type, including fats and complex carbos. Reduce/skip the simple sugars, salt and chemicals (e.g., diet soda) as much as possible. Also, reassess and adjust your caloric needs as time passes and you lose weight. Eat three squares a day with healthy snacks in between comprised of no more than 250 calories (presuming you're male) each. Whole foods can't be beat.

The calories you burn for physical activity gets added to your allowance. Do what you can handle or you may quit when you're injured from overdoing it. Ideally, engage in steady-state aerobic exercise for 20-30 min/day if you can, 5 days/week, eventually working up to 40-60 min/day. No gym required. Walking is great if that's all you can do for now. Break up the routine so your body doesn't get used to the same thing and adjusts. When you can handle it, work in interval training 2 or 3x/week. The goal there is to get your heart rate up to 80%-85% for short periods, which'll put you into fat furnace burning mode well after your workout is complete, increase your stamina and speed. For example, sprint (whatever speed is 85%'ish for you) for one minute, reduce to 50%-70% pace for two minutes. Rinse. Repeat. 20-min a day. Always warm-up, do your workout, cool down and stretch. You can also work in resistance training on your steady-state days without a gym, using body weight exercises, like lunges, planks, and squats.

Once you get close to your target weight, perhaps you'll want to consider a weight lifting program to gain more muscle mass. More muscle burns more calories even at rest. That approach requires a caloric surplus in that case, so more on that later.

Don't take the word of any one person here as gospel. Do your research. If it passes the sniff test, go for it. Good luck!