Post Hysterectomy Weight Lose

Options
2»

Replies

• jennvee
    jennvee Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am 39 and had everything but the ovaries taken out in June 2015. I lost 5 pounds right after the surgery, but it came back within a month. Due to the potential danger of prolapse, I have gained 10 pounds in the last nine months but I can't really blame it on the surgery. I tend to eat much better when I am working out, and I wasn't able to do my normal routine for a long time. I am working out again, and paying attention to my eating again so I am back on track. No HRT for me, though, since I kept my ovaries. My hysterectomy was totally worth it, my life is so much better now!
  • Canadagirl99
    Canadagirl99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've gained 10 pounds as well and definitely wanting to get back to working out. I'm now 2 months post surgery and I'm walking, but it doesn't seem like enough.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, had mine 2 years ago (kept ovaries and cervix). I put on most of my weight in the run-up to it and didn't decide to start to lose it again until last summer. 35lbs went through calorie counting and walking only.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Glad I found this post. I'm having a hysto, my right ovary and fallopian tubes removed, along with edometrial tissue on m bowels in May.

I had that endometrial stuff too. Are you having it done laparoscopically, or with a traditional large incision? OMG, you're only 25. I am so sorry that you're going through this so young.

Yes, I'll be having it done through laparoscopy. I have suffered in pain for years, and horrible periods. I'm done having children so I don't mind them removing it all lol
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for hysterectomy on May 9. Laparoscopic and robot assisted, vaginal removal - my GYN said it will be an outpatient procedure and I'll go home same day. I'm 38 and struggle with intense pain in my back (like, I take Dilaudid to get through) during the week before and most of my period every cycle - which I'm having every 10-22 days now. I'm at goal weight currently, and will be keeping my ovaries so I doubt I'll go on HRT but we'll see. Pre-op is on April 26 and will find out more then.
  • tigger9759
    tigger9759 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy and oopherectomy at 33 and went on HRT about 18 months after surgery. My hysterectomy didn't really impact my weight one way or the other however it was so much easier to exercise without all of the pain so that helped. I've just decided to get back on the wagon so am at the beginning of the journey
  • wbhurtt
    wbhurtt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im 41 and had an abdominal hysterectomy last Friday . Everything gone except ovaries.. My staples are getting removed tomorrow. Even though I've been in bed for a week with absolutely no exercise, I haven't gained weight.

My doctor encourage me to walk and cook for myself, but no heavy lifting and intensional exercise.

• jbmom91
    jbmom91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My hysterectomy is scheduled for May 9, pre-op May 4, sue to prolapsed uterus. They will remove uterus, cervix & tubes, leaving ovaries. Life is very busy and haven't done any kind of exercise in months. I'm have about 60#s to lose. I am very concerned with weight gain after the surgery.
  • Canadagirl99
    Options
    @jbmom91 you are keeping your ovaries so at least your hormones will still function. I have at least 60 pounds to lose as well. I find that controlling my food is better than doing nothing at all, so don't quit, stay on track and get walking as soon as you can, short walks at first and gradually increase. I'm up to 3 miles every day and I'm 2 months post surgery.
  • Canadagirl99
    Options
    @Noel_57 that was a very interesting article and I thank you so much for sharing. A good read with good points.
  • bonnieal
    bonnieal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had a hysterectomy back in December. The gyn removed uterus and tubes due to fibroids. I found a wonderful website that helped my prepare for it and what to do afterwards. www.HystersSisters.com
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That's the ticket! It's about the calories you eat, much more than the exercise you do. Not that exercising doesn't help, it obviously does, but if you can't exercise you can still lose wait with your food calories at the right level.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Lose "weight."
  • acarder24
    acarder24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I’m on HRT-estradiol patches. No issues with post surgery weight gain
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm so please you were able to keep your ovaries and someone also mentioned keeping their cervix. I'm sure these are so helpful in keeping your sense of well being. Little seems to be known or acknowledged of the other functions ovaries perform but keeping them is recommended. Keeping the cervix must mean the vagina is still intact wonderful. I wonder if its because women are becoming more represented in the medical profession that these vital organs are starting to be kept.

Here in the UK, they still seem to want to take everything, so there are no risks of having to perform subsequent operations, its such a sweeping approach, not everyone would go on to have additional problems. We still need more medical women.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and had a full laparoscopic hysterectomy 2 years ago. I gained a bunch of weight, but really because I wasn't exercising or being careful about what I ate AT ALL. I started back on mfp last February and have lost 35 pounds. I've been riding my bike and doing some other stuff and I feel much more in shape and strong even though I still have a lot of weight to lose still.