Diet?

Options
sexymom04
sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
I'm doing a weight training program to gain musles, therefore I take it that I must eat at a surplus instead of a deficit?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and there are many days that you are not getting much more than 1,000 calories.
    If you work up a sweat, you need to "up" your calories.
    At least than 1,000 your body starts to self-cannibalize. "Eat itself" for nutrition.
    Focus on healthy. Eat lots of salads, fruits, beans and nuts.
    (I would leave herbalife alone- opinion).
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and there are many days that you are not getting much more than 1,000 calories.
    If you work up a sweat, you need to "up" your calories.
    At least than 1,000 your body starts to self-cannibalize. "Eat itself" for nutrition.
    Focus on healthy. Eat lots of salads, fruits, beans and nuts.
    (I would leave herbalife alone- opinion).

I'm trying to up my calories. Why leave herbalife alone?
  • AlanMtz
    AlanMtz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The calories depends if you're trying to lose or gain weight. Iv'e lost 35 pounds taking herbalife (21pounds since i started using mfp again)
  • Shobhituva
    Shobhituva Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    AlanMtz wrote: »
    The calories depends if you're trying to lose or gain weight. Iv'e lost 35 pounds taking herbalife (21pounds since i started using mfp again)

That's great...I have just joined a zym...If I take herbalife instead of any protien shake, does it help me?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    therefore I take it that I must eat at a surplus instead of a deficit?

No, that's a silly myth.
    You can recomp at or around maintenance calories. You are building (and breaking down) muscle constantly. Eating more food doesn't make you gain muscle - it may permit you to have more optimal conditions for muscle growth though to allow your body to adapt to training stimulus better or quicker.
  • sexymom04
    Options

• sexymom04
    Options

I had lost a few on my own but since I started Herbalife in February I've lost 14. It's funny how I get some people that tell me don't use Herbalife and others say yeah for sure.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    therefore I take it that I must eat at a surplus instead of a deficit?

No, that's a silly myth.
    You can recomp at or around maintenance calories. You are building (and breaking down) muscle constantly. Eating more food doesn't make you gain muscle - it may permit you to have more optimal conditions for muscle growth though to allow your body to adapt to training stimulus better or quicker.

^ Generally this. Those statements regarding not being able to gain muscle in a deficit hold true with exceptions. The exceptions include PEDs, untrained individuals and those with a substantial about of body fat. The process is much slower, but if you're looking to ultimately lose weight this is probably the best approach. Focus on your routine and macros and set your calories to aim to lose no more than 1/2 - 1 pound a week.

If you want to look into this deeper then look at Lyle McDonald' work.