Heart rate monitor recommendations?

deeray82
deeray82 Posts: 18 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor but I don't know anything about them. Does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable brand/model?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Search the forums. TONS of topics on this for you.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    I was just about to ask the same question. It seems that a lot of people have them....
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    I got my Polar FT4 on Amazon for only $54. It's a basic model, but does everything I need. Before I buy anything, I always check the reviews on amazon.com, even if I don't get it from the site. I think you'll find helpful info there!
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    I recently purchased a Polar FT4 online for 69.99 and I LOVE it!! it gives me actual calorie count unlike my wii fit..
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    I love my Polar FT7. It works well and can adjust to fit my small wrists.
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    I recently purchased a Polar FT4 for $50 and I love it. It does everthing I wanted it to.:smile:
  • lam072
    lam072 Posts: 13 Member
    I have the Polar FT40 and love it. I can download all my data online at polar personal trainer. I paid about $100 for the watch and $50 for the unit to download. Well worth the extra benefits. You can join challenges online and stay motivated. Good luck with your search.
  • I have a Polar brand heart rate monitor watch and chest strap.I love mine!! But beware, Do not buy a watch that claims to know your heart rate by you simply touching a sensor on tge watch. The chest straps are by far, more reliable! There are many fancy ones on the market, I researched several and found that all I needed was the basics. You want to know your beat by beat heart rate, and your calories burned as you are burning them. ( so you can keep a goal in mind) Some more expensive ones have a gps for when your running, it knows the distance. But I decided that wasn't for me. Good luck with finding your perfect heart rate monitor!!! They are worth every penny! It really helped me since I am calorie counting and it's basically a huge number crunch every day! Good luck!
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Me & my BF workout buddy both bought Garmin HRM with the chest straps from heartmonitors.com (P&H are free) and you can get a model with a zip stick that you can download your workout stats to your computer! We've both been happy with them so far!:wink:
  • slcoree
    slcoree Posts: 6 Member
    do you wear these all day and it tells you total cals burned all day?
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    Seems like most everybody here talks up the Polar models, but I really like my Garmin FR60. It does just about everything I would like it to do.
  • DietPep1978
    DietPep1978 Posts: 202
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it! I'd recommend searching the forums and perhaps searching general HRM review sites. I choose mine based on this exact informal reseach, I searched forums on MFP and another site I used to track at and I did a general net search on reviews, features, etc.

Mine comes with a strap you wear around your chest (supposedly more accurate readings?) and it talks to the reader on my wrist that looks like a watch. I set my own user settiings (weight, gender, height, etc). I can wear it all day long to see how much I burn in a day or I can stop and start for workouts only. I've done both, I tend to wear it all day long and just note where I am at when I start a workout.

I have a backlight on mine (a button to press). I can see my heart rate, calories burned so far, what kind of zone I am in (training, fat burning), how long I've had the monitor on and the time.

It definitely has helped me get my butt in gear! I like that I am discovering when and how to burn more calories! They are a lot of fun and I'd recommend one. The mega plus is that you can get ACCURATE readings of how much calories you are actually burning.

Again, do your research, pic the style and features you like best. When it all boils down, a heart rate monitor is a heart rate monitor.

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Polar ft4- - love love love it!!"
  • deeray82
    deeray82 Posts: 18 Member
    Looks like Polar is the way to go, thanks much all!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Polar ft60!!!!!!!!!!! I love mine and accurate!
This discussion has been closed.