Day vs. Night Running

Options
So I just did another 4 mile moonlight run. Felt great. I always feel better in the evening when I run. Probably because I am loosened up from walking around throughout the day. However, I did read an article one time where someone posed the question: "You don't run your races in the evening, so why train in the evening?" Any ideas on the merit of that statement?

Replies

• McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Watched something on this on Dr. Oz (Don't Judg Me! lol) a few weeks ago and he said the best time to train and run is in the morning, and something about how your body is more receptive to it.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I personally no longer run at night but that's because I fell and ended up in the emergency room with a cut open knee. If the evening is what works best for you then it is certainly better than not doing it at all as long as you take proper safety precautions. My fall ended my comfort level for running at night but I'm going to assume you are not clumsy like I am!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've heard morning runs are the best for the body and to burn fat....I've heard later in the day is better for burning fat as well. So who knows. No matter what time of day you are running you are doing a great service to your body. People prefer all differnt times of day to run and I think its all psychological....some do best in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach, some do best late evening because they feel looser and more relaxed. Its just all a personal preference. I like to run right after work (4pm), it gives me time to unwind, relieve the work stress of the day, and really enjoy listening to music while I run. I also like 4pm because its during the heat of the day and I get a killer sweat going (makes me feel like I am working off more) and soak up the sun --- ofcourse once the temps get above 95 its not as much fun running during this time and I either head indoors or run later.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Well, the injury thought entered my head. I have run the course many times, but it is on the road. You never know what you can't see. I think that worries me more than anything.

And in essence, my "night run" is after work as I work 1-9:30 pm. Probably why I feel more loose. It's a good training shift though as I can work out before or after work.
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard that same phrase. I suppose it makes sense -- your training should mimic race day conditions (time of day/weather/type of course (hills vs.flat). For me, though, that's not my preference, at least for my weekday runs.

I love to run after work in the early evening. It burns off the stress of the day, plus I don't have to hurry to finish, clean up and get to work by 7 am. Evenings are also when I feel strongest, so it makes sense to me to do my speedwork/tempo runs then -- perhaps I should be looking for evening races :smile:

Weekends, though, it's a different story. My long runs are in the morning, the earlier the better. Since I'm running at a slower pace during those runs, it doesn't bother me. Good luck with your training. The important thing is to just get out and run, whenever that may be.

Laura
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    During the week, I run in the evenings...in fact last night it was 8:30pm as I waited for it to cool down.

On the weekends, I run in the morning first thing.

I find my pace is the same at either time. I have benenfits to both but figure better in the evening than not at all.

To do it in the morning during the work week, I'd have to get up at 4:30am and it would still be dark either way.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    dont have anything scientific to say but i run in the morning only because i can get it done and dont have to worry about things happening during the day to keep me from my run
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I get off of work at 8 pm and do my outside route after that... I enjoy being out at that time of the evening. By the time dusk hits, I'm sitting on my porch in cooldown mode with a cold bottle of water, watching the sunset. Of course, I'm rather nocturnal by nature at this point in my life. (evening classes during the school year have made me abandon the morning workouts. When I'm in class til 10 pm, then come home to write up notes/do hw... I'm not getting up at 6 to run.)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I used to run at night all the time. My favorite time to run was around 11pm, because the air had cooled down, and the streets were completely empty. It was such an awesome, light feeling running while the rest of the world was sleeping. I trained for my first half-marathon doing all my long runs at night, because it was far too hot to do them any other time, and I could never manage them early in the morning.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about training at different times for a race. I run a morning run, or afternoon on occasion, just to keep it varied, but a majority of my runs are in the late afternoon/evening, because that's the only time that works, between a baby and her dad's work schedule, that I can get the run in. If I had my way, I'd do late evenings again, but.. Such is life.

Anyway, I don't put stock in that sentiment. I run when I can, and I've never had a problem during a race as a result. In fact, I enjoy my training more when I don't feel like I'm slogging through runs during times I don't like. So I just so what feels good. Call me a rebel.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I think if you're training for a race that's going to be somewhere hot in the middle of the day, that's when you should run. Personally, I'm nowhere near ready to start doing marathons/5ks/what have you, so I run in the evenings when it's still light out (around 7:45). That's mostly because it's been around 105 during the day here and even though it's still around 100 when I run, at least it's cooling off as the sun is starting to go down. I stop when it starts getting dark just because I'm extra clumsy and I have a knack for not seeing things that will potentially trip me (even in broad daylight). Best of luck!
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In the morning, I am thinking about all the other things I should be doing instead of going out. Not to mention, I'm tired because I often lay awake with my mind thinking about stuff from the day. I feel drained and behind the rest of the day. When I run at night, the day is over. Everything productive I was going to get done either got done, or it didn't. I use my night run to process my thoughts, burn off any left over energy, and its quiet. So quiet. Not like the morning when lawn mowers are running, kids yelling, lots of traffic. And its cool. I can feel the sweat evaporate off of my skin. When I get home, the house is quiet, I slip into the shower, pull of my soft PJs, drink a glass of chocolate milk, climb into bed with a sense of satisfaction, and fall right to sleep. :)

I'm not going to win any races ever. So the few minutes I may lose over training at a different time of day is nothing compared to how much more enjoyable my night time runs are over day time runs.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like the morning, but my morning is about midday...
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I can attest to the truth of the phrase. I usually run in the evenings, when my muscles are loose from moving all day. But when I do 5Ks at 7:00 am, 8:00 am, etc. I feel like I must either warm up to the point of wearing myself out or feel super, uncomfortably tight during the first mile. My body isn't used to warming up quickly or moving fast that early...I have worked all through June to workout in the morning sometimes to get my body used to it. I guess I'll find out on the 4th of July at my 5K if my attempts at adapting my body to am workouts have worked...