Fitbit Calorie Adjustment vs Logging HR Calorie Tracking

Hi!

I have a question for anyone who has a Fitbit. I have mine connected to MFP and it adjusts calories throughout the day. During actual workouts I still wear my HR monitor to get a better idea of how many calories I burned in that amount of time. I usually compare the calories tracked on each and they line up pretty accurately, which is awesome! Today my HR monitor tracked 522 calories burned in my 4 mile walk and my Fitbit tracked 525.

Although I had a 500+ calorie burn in the last hour and a half my adjustment was only 280. So what I've been assuming is that on days like today, when I have not been very active and most of said activity was from working out, my adjustment is lower. On more active days, when I am up and around most of the day, my adjustment will be closer to what I burned in that specific workout. It has worked well so far to keep it like that and I feel like it's the most accurate way for me (in regard to adding all the calories or just my "extra earned calories"), but I am curious if others have done it differently.

So, for all of you with Fitbits...do you log workouts and add the full calories or do you just go by the Fitbit adjustments, which is based more off of total daily activity?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    My fitbit is synced but I usually disregard the calorie adjustment from the sync (which can be higher than my daily allotment). I don't eat back extra calories often, but when I do I will eat back 50% of what fitbit said my workout was, not what's synced.
  • brockb1981
    brockb1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Mine is synced but I nvr eat them back
    I have charge hr and seems too be accurate and work great
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Mine is synced. I log non step based exercise in fitbit so it makes the adjustment with that included. I often eat back the extra calories, but not all of them so I have a buffer.
  • LauraFoxGinn
    LauraFoxGinn Posts: 6 Member
    Mine is the same as the OP. I think it's because I have it set to a 1.5lb weight loss a week but because I live a very sedentary lifestyle, it's not possible for me to lose that much without working out. I personally do 3-4 x 20mins of dance a day. Usually the first set doesn't lead to any adjusted calories, and then the ones after get added as an adjustment. I've always believed it's because the first set I do is the minimum amount of exercise I need to do to eat 1200 calories. Not sure if that's making any sense?