Is there any way I can speed up the weight loss? :(

Options
Hi again sorry I'm being so annoying with my questions lol but I started my diet on may 2nd and as of today I have only lost 10 pounds :( I thought I would have lost more than that. I've been exercising and eating under 1000 a day, really healthy things mostly. Sometimes I slip up but only once, like today I had half of a chocolate chip cookie at 200 calories. But yeah, is that why?

Replies

• aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Seriously- under 1000 calories a day will tell your body, hello! I am starving! and it will store your fat instead of burn it. Eat above 1200 at least.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in less than two months is really not bad....its over a pound a week. BUT, I would say you might want to start eating more calories. I know it is a scary concept, but if you really are only eating less than 1000 calories a day, your body may have hit starvation mode and is basically hoarding those calories because it thinks it is starving!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    yeah, you should probably up your calories. you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day :)

congrats on your ten pound loss so far.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give advice because we can't see your food/exercise diary.
    So, here's some generic advice:

- Switch up your exercise (if you walked: run. If you ran: zumba. If you danced: tae bo.... just keep if fresh)
    - Exercise more days of the week
    - Exercise longer
    - Eat more veggies
    - Avoid high-sodium foods
    - Drink plenty of water
    - Go to sleep at reasonable times
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to 1200 net daily. Maybe even as high as 1300. I bet within 3 weeks you'll see bigger losses.
  • beardofdarwin
    beardofdarwin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My weight didn't budge for a month and I work out 2 times a day. Last week my dr told me to try giving up flour and wheat but replace them with more veggies and bamm! 9 pounds in one week! I drink water like a fish, consume at least 1200 calories a day and work out all the time. It was the flour.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Yup, I'd have to agree that you're probably not eating enough. Your body probably thinks its starving so its saving up fat rather than releasing it. Go up to at least 1200 calories for a week or two and if that doesn't help, keep raising it and see how you respond.
  • Lowfatbrownie
    Options
    theres plenty of ways to speed up weight lost but there not healthy and you will be back to your original weight in no time unless you do it right. eat moderatly healthy (I believe in rewards to but instead of that half a cookie that will only leave you unsatisfied, try fruit or adding a small healthy meal) try a little more cardio and drink ALOT of water or tea tea is low cal. to no cal. and is great for you just be shore to drink enough water if you just change up your water intake I gareentee at least another 5lbs off

hope this helps and feel free to friend me :flowerforyou:
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything white: white flour, white bread, white potatoes, white rice, white sugar. Eat whole grains.
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    10 pounds is great so far! Losing 1 pound a day is ideal, don't go for any more or less. Slow weight progress will give the best output and you'll be able to maintain it better. It's okay to treat yourself to something small, that's not the reason. Maybe up your calories to 1200 calories per day. Sometimes changing the amount you eat will increase your metabolism and helps the weight loss. Also, your body might be in starvation mode due to the less than 1000 calories that you've been eating and so you're weight loss may be harder. So make sure you eat 1200 calories, you don't have to eat any more than that but just don't go under it either.
    Good luck! You are doing fine.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    WOW! Up the cals! Get above 1200 and make sure they're good...not fatty or fried. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just glanced through the responses quick and would have to say I agree with most I read with respect to....eat more...1000 calories is starvation mode especially if you are exercising.

Also 10 pounds is not bad at all. It is a loss and a real good loss at that. Celebrate it....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,214 Member
    Options
    At 1000 calories a day you are eating way to little unless you are very short. I don't know how tall you are, but if you are of average height at 18 you likely burn much more than that. The key to successful weight lose is a moderate caloric deficit. You are creating a large deficit and a prolonged large deficit will result in a major slow down of your metabolism. Your body will start consuming muscle to reduce the calories that muscle would normally burn, and thus slowing down your metabolism even more. For some this results in slow weight loss, for others, they keep losing weight, but once they finish their diet the weigh comes back on very quickly. Increase your calories as per the suggestions of MFP using a weight loss goal of no more than 2 pounds per week.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    With 80 lbs to go, I'd suggest bumping it up to 1400 at least. Add in strength training 3 times a day for 20 minutes as well, drink double the recommended water, eat good amounts of fiber, lean proteins, healthy fats and you will absolutely see it come off.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Eat more. 1000 cal is really low, try eating a NET of 1200