Dr. is not helpful, what to do next?

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for a while now but have been stuck around my current weight (177lb +/- 5lbs) for well over a year. I have tried just about everything to lose weight but nothing is working (paleo..I find unsustainable, 21day fix, IF, calorie counting etc). I tried to talkto my Dr. about this but she is young and inexperienced and told me to "eat more vegetables". I am 41 years old, exercise 3-5 times a week. I do a variety of workouts including weight lifting, interals, plyo, boot-camp etc). Last year I tried 1750 calories for a few months with no results. I am now down to 1600 calories a day. I try to limit processed foods and have been working on upping protein to at least100g a day. Yes, I weigh/measure my food. Typically I try to be a little under 1600 calories just in case my calculations are wrong. I have a feeling something in my body is not right (hormones???) but my Dr. is not interested in discussing it. I've thought about ordering an online blood test to check on things. Also just FYI about 1.5 years ago I was doing crossfit and upped my calories (1900 rest days, 2200 workout days) and gained almost 15 pounds in 2 months so I know it is not an "eat more" situation.
Any ideas?
I'm thinking of looking into supplements and trying to figure out who to talk to about this...a different primary Dr, a dietician???
Typical day for me:
Breakfast: SHakeology with natural PB, honey and green superfood powder, almond milk
Snack: 1 banana
Lunch: usually batch made food on Sundays, but sometimes turkey sandwich on marathon bread. And a salad with EVOO and vinegar
Snack: Apple, maybe 1 piece of dark chocolate, sometimes a protein bar
Dinner: some meat, some carb- usually rice or potato and some vegetable
Sometimes I may grab a handful of cashews before dinner is ready.
Occassionally I may grab a handful of potato chips/ cheese-its or whatever I have for my kids on hand. Yes I know this is processed crap and I am not weighing it, but I am human. ANd no it is NOT 3-4 servings of it.
ALso more just FYI, I haven't had weight problems my whole life. I gained some weight after kids were born but was able to maintain healthy weight with calorie counting and exercise, it's really only been the past few years I've been noticing it is harder to lose weight.
I've been reading a lot on weight loss resistance.
I try to get about 8 hrs sleep, but sometimes it's closer to 7.
Stress...well I work FT, have 2 kids and have a hectic schedule so it is what it is..
Oh, and I did lose a couple pounds a while back when I got sick and only ate about 1000 calories a day. But went right back on when I was eating normal again.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days of entries in your food diary, and it appears that you are not weighing EVERYTHING. For example, your slice of Marathon bread - you weighed every slice and all of them were 57g? Also, things like peanut butter need to weighed, not measured with a measuring spoon. I was completely shocked when I did so for the first time - my tablespoon of peanut butter equaled the weight of TWO servings, not one. With something like peanut butter, those extra calories add up quickly.

As a side note - I started weighing my protein bars and was shocked (again) that they were all WAY over the weight on the label. My Cookies and Cream Combat Crunch bar is supposed (according to the label) to be 63g and 210 calories. After weighing every bar in the box, I found the lowest weight was 77g and the highest to be about 87-88g. All of these things add up.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You list what you eat, but are you weighing it on a food scale to ensure the most accurate calorie count? You said you don't want to do this and you don't want to do that, well, what ARE you willing to do? This takes work. Flat out, hard, effort-requiring WORK. And it takes patience, and more patience, and after that, patience. And then effort, and more effort. And persistence, with a little patience thrown in. What are your stats? I also suggest opening your diary so folks can see your logging. Be open to what you read here, even if it's criticism. Ask yourself if you're really willing to put in the effort.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Admittedly I only looked at a few days, but you use cups and spoons to measure. You have got to use a food scale for better accuracy.

The simple answer is usually the correct one: you're not tracking calories accurately and because, by your own admission, you eat little things throughout the day like handfuls of Cheetos, you are eating more than you think you are. All those things add up to no weight loss.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You are eating at maintenance. There's nothing a doctor can do about that. To lose 0.5 pounds per week, you need to reduce your intake by 250 calories from what you are eating now. (Not from what you think you are eating now.) Weigh and log everything, and doublecheck every entry.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're all over the place and don't stick with anything long enough to actually get anywhere. Not trying to be mean, but if you can't stay consistent for the relatively short weight loss period, how are you going to consistently maintain for the years and years that follow?

Weight loss is pretty straightforward. Figure out your calorie goal (MFP does this for you), start accurately tracking your food, start accurately measuring portion sizes (food scale ), and most importantly, stay with it. You will see results, but you need to give it time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Opinion- supplements do not work.
    At most take a daily multivitamin
    You are at 1,600? Lower it to 1,500? Try that?
    * I do not think Shakeology is worth it. The vitamins are added. Not natural.
    Might as well just take a regular protein powder with some skim milk and a multivitamin.
    This could save you 1,000 a year.
    - I count even two potato chips - open diary.

Recommending someone take a multi-vitamin and not use Shakelogy because it isn't "natural" makes no sense. There are many good reasons to avoid Shakelogy, but it's naturalness is irrelevant if you're going to turn around and recommend a multi-vitamin.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Recommending someone take a multi-vitamin and not use Shakelogy because it isn't "natural" makes no sense. There are many good reasons to avoid Shakelogy, but it's naturalness is irrelevant if you're going to turn around and recommend a multi-vitamin.[/quote]

I think she's just trying to offer money-saving suggestions, saying that using a multi-vitamin is essentially the same as using Shakeology. Protein powder isn't natural either, but a much less expensive option for shakes.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Recommending someone take a multi-vitamin and not use Shakelogy because it isn't "natural" makes no sense. There are many good reasons to avoid Shakelogy, but it's naturalness is irrelevant if you're going to turn around and recommend a multi-vitamin.

I think she's just trying to offer money-saving suggestions, saying that using a multi-vitamin is essentially the same as using Shakeology. Protein powder isn't natural either, but a much less expensive option for shakes.

[/quote]

I agree with that, I just don't agree that a product would be worth more if it was "natural," whatever that means.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's all calories... You have to weigh and track all your food, EVERYTHING! Condiments can add up to tons of calories. Don't quite specific foods, they don't matter. Get plenty of protein! If you really track your food and keep your calories in check you will lose!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    You list what you eat, but are you weighing it on a food scale to ensure the most accurate calorie count? You said you don't want to do this and you don't want to do that, well, what ARE you willing to do? This takes work. Flat out, hard, effort-requiring WORK. And it takes patience, and more patience, and after that, patience. And then effort, and more effort. And persistence, with a little patience thrown in. What are your stats? I also suggest opening your diary so folks can see your logging. Be open to what you read here, even if it's criticism. Ask yourself if you're really willing to put in the effort.

Yes, this. Get a digital scale. Actually use it to weigh every stupid thing even though it sucks. The biggest shocks will likely be things that are high in fat like peanut butter, nuts, cheese, and, yes, those cheez its and chips. Weigh it all, log it all. Then see if you are REALLY only eating 1600 calories and not losing. A half serving of shredded cheese measured in grams (around 60 calories) equals a sprinkle on top of your salad...a garnish more than an ingredient.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm your age and size. Mother of two.

I don't lose weight unless I eat under 1400kcal/day. I know this from tracking. You have to track.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    That chart up there ^^^

Also, your body has the best answer, more than any calculator, theory, guru, Doctor, chart, whatever.

-too much food and you gain fat.
    -not enough and you binge
    -just the right amount and you stay the same (maintenance).

-just the right deficit under your maintenance and you lose fat. Sometimes you have to give it more time and be more consistent and accurate with food intake.

If you do that it will work even if you never step on the body weight scale. The body weight scale doesn't make it happen, but the food intake does.

There is no other answer. It's right there in your own body.

It's so easy to let the mind go down the path of thinking something is wrong, but no, it is always about the food intake. It is not a fun thing to face, nor is it easy. If it was easy everyone would be successful. Many give up to soon and just don't have the patience or the fortitude to stick with it, or they try to force it too soon with eating too low.

• cmbx2mom
    cmbx2mom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so I wasn't sure I should post this question because as expected I got the usual answers. I went 10 years being able to control/lose weight by calorie counting and weighing as I am doing now. I am not eating 2100 calories and have 1600 in my diary. Yes I use teaspoons not weigh my pb. Yes I log 1 banana vs. grams of banana. That is not 500 calories difference and as u see I said I try to go under 1600 calories to account for slight differences.
    I like Shakeology, it mixes better than protein powders and it's faster to dump 1 scoop vs adding in 10 different ingredients.
    And I have been doing lots of reading about how calories in vs out is NOT an accurate way to lose weight. As far as trying methods, I try for a couple months because regular tracking does NOT work for my body anymore.
    Unless u have something new to say (no more of the you r not weighing enough) please disregard this post. It is SO frustrating when people just assume u are eating a lot more than u say. Yes I take a handful of chips....after years of tracking I know that my handful is about 0.5 servings. I also know that the bread I buy says x # of servings per bag and I know how to do math.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Agree about needing to weigh everything and use grams/ounces for your entries when possible. Also, you're not logging your weekends. How do you know you're not blowing your entire deficit for the week if you don't log those days?
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i don't measure my food or drink. i just don't want to. i listen to my body and what it wants. as long as it doesn't want something outrageous, i just eat until i am satisfied. IMHO, i am one of the laziest people on this site regarding being accurate with my portions for food and drink.
    as far as the doctor is concerned, have you thought about going to an endocrinologist to have your thyroid checked? i don't ask my primary care doctor about weight issues since i have a known under active thyroid. i ask my endocrinologist.