Vivosmart HR and swimming

Options
Hi, tested for the 1st time my garmin vivosmart HR for my Tuesday swim. Set up my activity as cardio, other choices are run and other and started to swim.

Disappointed, after 10 min, HR reading was 70's and cal burned was 20 and I was pushing it pretty hard. Anyone had similar results? I guess it's not recommended for swimming and I probably need a HR chest strap... Will try the other setting next time..

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Water between the sensor and your skin will mess with the reading.
  • Bluedimplett
    Bluedimplett Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Make it tighter on your wrist. i just got mine last week. My HR has been reading 130-140 and i burned ~400 cals for 30min swim. I'm sure my HR is higher than that but ill take it. I still like the garmin overall.
  • jasonshepherd646
    jasonshepherd646 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Similar here. Started ok showed good HR rise falls with interval lengths. Around 130/140 back to 110ish but after about 10 mins hoovered about the 70-80 mark and towards the end when I really pushed hard no change.
  • spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought a viviosmart hr and garmin forerunner 225 just before xmas, I now wish I had held out for the vivoactive hr which'll hit the shops soon, and does everything:(
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I've been able to record my HR swimming (outdoors) with a Garmin Fenix 3 and a Mio Fuse. I sold the Fuse though. Interested in the new HRM-SWIM.