Healthy carbs for breakfast

Options
Anyone have a way of making a breakfast with healthy carbs. I'm trying to cut out bread, rice, etc as much as possible. Protein does not help me full like carbs do.

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If the carbs you referenced keep you full, keep eating them.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If carbs help you feel full why are you cutting them out? Nothing wrong with bread and rice, or any other kind of food. Just fit them into your calorie goals :)
  • sammyre12
    sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The problem is I have hypothyroidism and even though I now eat gluten free.. My doctor said I need to cut out as much bread, rice, and pasta as I can to reach my weight loss goals. Eggs and protein shakes have not worked for me. Quinoa oatmeal or meat such as sausage does not work. So I'm looking for other ideas.
  • Jupither
    Jupither Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oats are amazing. I like to eat them with some type of milk, fresh fruit and yogurt or as porridge, where I just cook them in the microwave with water and small pieces of apple. Especially the later one will give you a huge, very filling warm breakfast even if only using 30g of oats.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having beans for breakfast? Those usually keep me full until lunch time.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my lifesaver. Keeps me full for hours. 1/2 cup instant oats with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk = heaven!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having beans for breakfast? Those usually keep me full until lunch time.

That's pretty much all that's left.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    1c Greek yogurt
    1/2c chopped fruit
    1/4c oats
    2T chopped nuts

Delish!
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with blueberries, a pinch of salt, & a bit of cinnamon, a bit of sugar/sweetener. Sometimes I make overnight oats with the same, plus yogurt. It's yummy!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast:
    3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 cup blackberries
    1 small banana
    3/4 cup whole grain cereal

This usually averages between 320-360 calories, depending on the size of the banana and the amount of berries.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and I don't cut anything out. (Last night I ate 99 grams of carbs for one meal. English Muffin, hashbrown, sweet potato, asparagus.) My go to morning carb (aside from what you have already determined "off limits") is potatoes with onion and pepper.
    If your doctor wants you to cut carbs for another medical reason, that's a different story. But if you are being properly medicated all you need is a calorie deficit, just like anyone else.
    I love bread, rice, and pasta. And If they fit my calories and I am consistent with my logging and exercise, I lose weight just fine.
  • sammyre12
    sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hmm never tried navy beans. I'll have to check that out. TresaAswegan-- every thyroid patient is different. I've been tested and I don't do well with gluten. The problem with oats or rice is the cross contamination of gluten is high. Avoiding them all together is much easier than stressing over it. Thanks everyone for the meal ideas. I'm going to continue trying until something works!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Try adding nuts to your oatmeal - that always fills me up for a long time!
  • jbcb2419
    jbcb2419 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a low carb high protein eating style. Make omelettes, fruit and yogurt parfaits, and lots of egg variations. Here is a good site

https://authoritynutrition.com/18-low-carb-breakfast-recipes/
  • aekihm1979
    aekihm1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You'll feel fuller longer if you eat more protein along with healthy fats. Also increasing fiber intake will make you feel fuller longer. Switch to more complex carbs (whole grains and high fiber). Eat things like walnuts, almonds, all natural peanut butter, avocados, olive oil. If you must have bread switch to ezekiel bread, its a good source of fiber and none of the added sugar and chemicals that are in other store bought breads. Stop eating white bread and white rice, its no good for you. Eat more complex carbs (healthy carbs). I usually eat a slice of ezekiel bread with either peanut butter or avocado spread and plain Greek yogurt with raspberries; or 2 egg omelette with tomato, avocado and feta and spinach, or steel cut oats with walnuts, almonds and berries for breakfast. I also always throw a tablespoon of chia seed into my yogurt, omelette or oatmeal to up the fiber. I am usually very full and sometime almost forget about lunch because I am so full.
  • loose019
    loose019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try 3/4 greek yogurt with cinnamon over 100 grams of baked sweet potato. Weird combo, I know but so good, you can add a bit of maple syrup for sweetness, I prefer without.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You are probably lacking bulk in your breakfast why you are feeling hungry - if I only had an egg or protein shake I would be ravenous.

I make oatmeal (which you could try this with your quinoa instead of oats if gf oats aren't easy to find where you are) with chia seeds, flax and hemp hearts. The chia seeds puff up and are a great source of fiber, magnesium and calcium and keep me full for a very long time. If I had oats on their own I am not as successful at staying full.

You could also try making a hash - sweet potato, lots of peppers, spinach or kale, onions, other veggies and seasonings, a hearty start to the day.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Eziekiel bread? It's low carb, high fiber, and tastes great when toasted,
    Two pieces of toast w an egg keeps me full,
    Or two pieces w pnut butter and a bananna.
    They sell it at trader joes and whole foods, it comes in plain wheat, sesame or cinamon raisin.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Another option is to make a batch of freezer breakfast burritos. If I use a low carb/high fiber tortilla (ole wellness or la tortilla factory), scramble some egg whites, use center cut bacon, plenty of onion, spinach, peppers, and mushrooms and a lowfat cheese I can get them around 200 calls each. I just freeze them seam side down on a metal baking sheet and transfer to a freezer bag once frozen.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism and PCOS along with a gluten intolerance. I have never been told to cut down on carbs or bread (as long as it's gluten free and has some good fiber). I love oatmeal for breakfast and you can find some very good gluten free varieties. I like to have my oatmeal with a protein shake. The combo keeps me full for hours.