Flavoring drops for water... What do you think?

Options
I've heard pros and cons... What are y'all's thoughts?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I love the mio drops I have it daily :)
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like the blue kool-aid one.
  • daral_the_girl
    daral_the_girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I flavor my water with doTERRA CPTG essential oils. I get outstanding flavors (lemon, grapefruit, orange, peppermint and more) with many health benefits and ZERO artificial chemicals like those found in Mio drops and other store bought flavorings.
  • crpoll5
    crpoll5 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Whatever it takes to drink more water. Drops have to be better than soda, right? I cant drink straight water unless I am really thirsty after working out or something. To sip on water I need to add some flavor. Just my two cents worth.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If it helps you meet your goals (caloric and water consumption), then go for it!! I love water just the way it is but my husband prefers to flavor his with the drops.
  • InsipidDime
    InsipidDime Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I prefer tea, but my husband likes the Mio drops.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use Young Living essential oils to flavor my water (lime, lemon, grapefruit, etc). It's all natural and with zero additives! Look at that bottle of Mio - can you pronounce everything on that list? Probably not.

I used to use them and I loved them, but when you think about what you're putting in your body when you squeeze that in, you have no idea what it is because most of it is created in a lab. At least with EO, you know exactly what you're putting in and like daral_the_girl said, you also get many health benefits and there's lots of different mixtures you can use.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was safe to ingest essential oils.

I use the flavor drops sometimes, but I also like to just add cut fruit to my water for some subtle flavor. Strawberries and oranges are my favorite.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love to add flavor to my water, but I try to alternate with plain water for at least every other bottle (personal preference really, plus I go through enough flavoring as is). I aim for over a gallon a day, trying to up that, having a few fruity bottles really helps!
    Just be sure to read the labels as some have added caffeine. I think some of the Mio are 60mg/serving, and I use around 4 servings at a time. I don't mind a caffeinated flavor early in the day, but I wouldn't be too happy if I added that to my 8 pm bottle!
    Edit- I love the Kool-Aide flavors as well!
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    True Lemon is my go-to.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Try green tea someday.
    Plain. Nothing added.
    Walmart sells bigelow brand - pretty good. Don't buy the cheapest stuff.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    I use Young Living essential oils to flavor my water (lime, lemon, grapefruit, etc). It's all natural and with zero additives! Look at that bottle of Mio - can you pronounce everything on that list? Probably not.

If I can pronounce cyanide, does that mean I should ingest it?

What a ridiculous way to decide what you can and cannot eat.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I prefer herbal tea, or fruit :)
  • tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do them! I'm someone that likes to use drops or diet drinks just to have something else during the day besides water. Some of them give me migraines, though. Mio has been fine, fruit infusions are yummy, too.
  • PamLivin
    PamLivin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This will be my biggest challenge. I can not seem to drink water. Maybe a half cup a day with meds.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use True Lemon. No sugar of any kind, just crystalized lemon. It is a nice change when you don't have time to cut up real lemons.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The hubby uses them because it's that or juice. That's the one piece of advice he's taken from me so far.. to stop with all the juice, at least at home. Water's always been my preference though, so I just drink it plain.
  • daral_the_girl
    Options
    I didn't think it was safe to ingest essential oils.

I use the flavor drops sometimes, but I also like to just add cut fruit to my water for some subtle flavor. Strawberries and oranges are my favorite.

Certain essential oils that are certified as pure and therapeutic grade can be ingested. (doTERRA & Young Living are the top 2 for safety and purity) safety is still key, mainly don't mix oils into a plastic container. Glass or metal water bottles are safest. I use a Liberty Bottle Works bottle and there is no metallic taste to the water afterwards. A single drop of lemon oil will flavor my 24oz bottle for 2 refills.
  • daral_the_girl
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »

If I can pronounce cyanide, does that mean I should ingest it?

What a ridiculous way to decide what you can and cannot eat.

You're right, it's a silly argument. Literally EVERYTHING is a blend of chemicals, essential oils included, if you break something down far enough, you'll see that. This entire thread is about flavoring a chemical compound called dihydrogen monoxide. The main issue shouldn't be if you can pronounce it, it should be knowing what the chemicals and compounds can do to your body.