How much of a role does sleep play?

Options
I'm a working mom with a heavy duty career, a son that I love to pieces, and a commitment to healthy cooking and exercise. I can't possibly do everything I want to do in a day, but I try. What is usually on the losing end of all this is sleep. I sleep about 4-6 hours a night during the week, and make some of it up on weekends, but I know I'm not getting enough. I've read that sleep impacts weight loss, but I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how much of an impact it has. So, for example, if I slept more, could I exercise less and still lose weight? Anyway, let me know what you think.

Replies

• anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A recent study stated that women (especially) who sleep at least 7-8 hours a night weigh less and loss weight easier than women that sleep 4-6. I think the difference was like 15-20 lbs.

I sleep 4-6 as well and noticed this study.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    my opinion, I would say yes. because I believe there are other factors that come into play, i.e. cortisol levels which in women can contribute to weiht gain
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't have numbers for you, but I can tell you that from a personal standpoint, it affects me in a MAJOR way. I can always push myself harder in a workout and burn more calories if I have had a good nights' sleep (that means 8 hours).

As part of my dedication to good health, I don't drink any caffeinated beverages. I feel like not getting enough sleep and then compensating for it by drinking something like coffee (which causes you to lose water) is an awful cycle. Your body deserves better. Just my $.02. I hope you can find a way to look out for yourself a bit more! It's important!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    they do say we burn fat during sleep, so I would say its quite important, something I need to work on
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sleep is extremely important.

The very first chapter in my nutrition and fitness certification program talked about how it is absolutely necessary to get 7 - 8 hours of good restful sleep in order for you to derive the benefits of a good diet and exercise program.

It also states that you cannot "catch up" on sleep. Once you've missed a good night sleep the damage is already done.
  • Alure
    Alure Posts: 30
    Options
    Maybe you could put exercise as a lower priority right now and just focus on eating and sleeping? If eating really is 80% of health then it won't be so bad if you push exercise back to make sure you're taking care of the very basics (i.e. sleep) first.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A while back I remember reading an article that said if you had to choose between sleep and exercise you should always choose sleep. I know it makes a big difference for me and I try really hard to get between 7 and 8 hours a night. It doesn't always work out though with kids who have a habit of waking me with illnesses, scary dreams, etc. Maybe you could try to do more cooking on the weekends, so you can just warm it up during the week. Or try to include your son in your exercise activities and chores around the house. That way you're still spending time with him and accomplishing some of the things you need to get done.
  • christinaincamo
    Options
    My nutritionist just told me that I have to get 8 hours if I'm wanting to loose weight. She has clients who did nothing more than get their 8 hours in and lost about 4 pounds a week. Lack of sleep can cause hunger, stress, fatigue and can increase cortisol.
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    I agree proper amount of sleep would be best but how do you make that change? I can't seem to sleep for 7-8 hrs. I'm not really wanting to take something to make me sleep. Maybe just what my body is used to but would like to figure out how to change and get more. Ideas?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I just read an article tonight in Parade magazine that included a health quiz.

Question: Which of these illnesses can result if you don't get enough sleep?
    a. Heart disease
    b. Diabetes
    c. Obesity
    d. Cancer
    e. Erectile Dysfunction (men only of course)
    f. All of the above

Answer: (f). Inadequate rest causes stress and hormonal imbalances and weakens the immune system. The ideal amount of sleep is eight hours.