Tough Day today

Options
Hi, today is a tough day for me. Today I'm taking my 15 year old daughter to the doctor. She is suffering from anorexia. I can't help but think my weight struggle has contributed to her being this way. She only weighs 94 pounds at the moment, and doesn't want to eat. She feels bad all the time, and I have reached the limits of what I can do for her now I'm turning to the doctor. She is willing to go, and hasn't resisted much. I am glad of that. The weight of the guilt today is really heavy. I am 85 pounds overweight, and have been overweight since I had her. So me being this way is all she has ever known. I am really trying hard to try to get my weight under control to be a positive role model. However, today not feeling like a positive influence.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is a tough one. See what the doctors says and go from there. She may need counseling as well.

You may also need to be watchful of her eating habits to ensure that she is eating enough or following the directions of the doctor. Good luck.
  • pcousins13Patricia
    pcousins13Patricia Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry you and your daughter are going through this. Anorexia is a mental disorder so, remember, this is no more your fault than it is hers. She cannot help the way she feels, since she is sick and needs help for her illness. You are doing the right thing by taking her to the doctor. I hope the doctor can give you guys a good plan to help her get healthy.
  • iangelbailey10
    iangelbailey10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your kind words. I know I am doing the right thing getting her the help. The overwhelming guilt feeling is a killer today. I am trying to get myself together before her appointment this afternoon. :)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Man, that stinks. Girls have it so tough. They all have body issues. My daughter is about the same size as yours, just a bit heavier, but she is in the opposite situation -- she feels too skinny and has a hard time gaining weight.

I think that as role models, as long as we are not constantly emphasizing things about our own weight, whether we say that we feel too fat, too thin, too big, etc ... or we can't eat this or that, or anything that puts a lot of focus on trying to control our own weight, we are setting the right example -- by not emphasizing it, we teach them that *their* weight is not something to obsess over. It may seem like splitting hairs, but it makes a big difference when we talk instead about making healthy choices for our health and nutrition with exercise clean eating. I try to keep my calorie counting and my negative body image to myself.

Counseling is a good thing, and is essential for anorexia. I hope your doctor gives you a good referral for your daughter. Wishing you the best.
  • iangelbailey10
    Options
    Thank you. I have really tried over the past month of dieting to not talk about it to my kids... esp her. I have just done it, and not said oh I can't have that or we can't eat there... I just have kept their snacks in the house, and dealt with it... and taken them to places they want to eat, but not eaten what I normally would have eaten. It is tough dieting when they don't need to at all. My other daughter is at a healthy weight, and I worry that she will start this too bc her sister is 20 pounds lighter than her and an inch taller.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Prayers.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    I hear ya. My daughter and husband love to have pig-out fests, especially on the weekends when we like to go out to eat. When we go out, I attribute a lot of my food choices to having to be gluten-free, so I can get away with a lot of it without having to make excuses.
  • iangelbailey10
    Options
    Yeah, the out to eat thing is a constant struggle. I have two girls 15 and 12, and my boyfriend has 3 kids 2 boys and one girl 15, 14, and 12, and he isn't overweight... so they all wanna go to pig out places as well. lol
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    Try to remember that girls feel the pressure everywhere. Their friends probably talk about it, the media, everything tells them that they have to diet. I hope that you can replace feeling guilty with feeling good that you are doing the right thing for her. :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic as a 15-year-old, and my mother was always overweight and on some diet or other. 12 years later, here's my thoughts:

My mom's body issues were not the root of my anorexia. There's a lot of emotions going on with being a teenager, and I was having friend issues and boy issues that were severely affecting my self-esteem. While I wasn't overweight, most of my friends were smaller than me, and comparing myself to them didn't help. For a large number of girls with eating disorders, getting that number on the scale as low as possible and pushing through the hunger is all about feeling in control of their lives. I felt so out of control of everything else - boys didn't like me, girls were catty behind my back, I had acne, I felt awkward all the time - that this was the one thing I could do and have complete control over. I also had depression, and managing the depression is what eventually got my eating disorder in check. Anorexia is a mental illness often coupled with other mental illness, and a doctor will be able to help your daughter better than you can. Offer all your love and support, but understand that what she's going through is bigger than you and what you can do alone.

That said, I'd advise you to be very conscious about how you talk about your body from this point on. There is nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight, but talk about healthy choices and long life and being physically able rather than how happy you are to fit in a smaller dress or how much you hate your stomach pudge. My mother always wanted to lose weight for her appearance, not health, and when I gained weight in my early twenties I found myself repeating her negativity. So while your weight issues haven't caused hers, it's important to start projecting as many positive vibes as possible so she when she recovers, she can work to maintain a healthy weight for the right reasons.

All the best to you. I know this is hard.
  • reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this - we had a similar aituation with our oldest - a boy - and it was so difficult. We did find that going to a nutritionist helped because it wasn't us telling him he wasn't eating enough. He thought what he was doing was healthy. Here are some things that helped us get through it:

1. Never ever talk about weight as being bad. I had to drill this into my extended family that in our house we don't talk about weight. Going along with this was teaching that no foods are inherently bad.

2. Support for your child - it really is psychological. I hope you can find the help you need.

3. My mantra was "I can't just fix this" so it allowed me to give myself a break from the self blame. If you are like me you just want to fix all their problems, but this is one they have to fix on their own (with support, of course)

4. Find a support group for yourself. Many people deal with this. Talking to others helps.

5. Everything they see about weight loss and being thin doesn't help. We had a lot of discussions about how while most of the world is overweight, those messages aren't applicable to everyone.

I had bulimia in high school so I knew somewhat of what he was dealing with. I'm glad to say he is now at a healthy weight and off at college and seems to be able to manage his life and eating, although he still has some weird eating habits. It wasn't easy, I'm sorry to say. I wish you strength and hope you are able to find the right help.