How often/long do you all exercise every day?

Options
Ok, so I thought to lose weight that I should exercise 3 times a day. I have a strength training DVD that is 30 minutes long, and I run in place twice a day...one 15 shred (at least) and one 30 minute shred. I really enjoy both activities, but I was wondering....should I really be doing it 3 times a day? Sometimes I'm a bit lazy at night if I'm tired, sometimes I'm too tired in the morning....but I feel great after I've done it. I want an exercise plan that will work well with my lifestyle routine so I can continue to do even after I'm at my ideal weight. Should I cut back a little? The DVD needs to be done only 3 times a week to get more freedom of movement and better strength (or so it says.):flowerforyou: :drinker:

Replies

• Violet_Mist
    Options
    Ok, so I thought to lose weight that I should exercise 3 times a day. I have a strength training DVD that is 30 minutes long, and I run in place twice a day...one 15 shred (at least) and one 30 minute shred. I really enjoy both activities, but I was wondering....should I really be doing it 3 times a day? Sometimes I'm a bit lazy at night if I'm tired, sometimes I'm too tired in the morning....but I feel great after I've done it. I want an exercise plan that will work well with my lifestyle routine so I can continue to do even after I'm at my ideal weight. Should I cut back a little? The DVD needs to be done only 3 times a week to get more freedom of movement and better strength (or so it says.):flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing my 60 pounds, I'd exercise 5-6 days a week about 30-90 minutes a day.

Now that I'm in maintenance (well - trying to lose a few pounds I gained back) I am exercising about 3 times a week for 30-60 minutes each time. I imagine if I put forth more effort I'd lose these few pounds a bit faster! :embarassed:
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise about 6 times a week and I do the 30day shred. I have lost 28lbs. I love the 30 day shred. :drinker:
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a bowflex, and I swear by it!

I try to work out 3 times a week on it between 30-60 minutes. I also try to walk at least once a week for an hour at a pace of 3mph or faster. I usually take my dogs because they really won't let me quit until they are tired. And they are huskies, they NEVER get tired! LoL
  • lgsprs
    lgsprs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I exercise every morning for an hour. My thought is if i makie it a routine I won't give up its just a part of my life but I have alot of weight to lose well over a hundred pounds
  • shayk80
    shayk80 Posts: 56
    Options
    I just started last week.... I bought the 30 day Shred DVD and Pilates DVD

I am still trying to find my groove. I exercised 4 days last week and lost 2 pounds. This week I am planning on exercising 3 days. Oh I forgot, that I do the 30 day shred for 20 minutes and the Pilates for an hour

I want to exercise 7 days a week, but I get SO tired when I get home from working full time, then taking care of my 3 year old, on top of going to Nursing school full time. I only get the chance to exercise at 11 o'clock at night. LOL

But like you, I too am wondering how often should one exercise to loose thier weight?
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I do a variey of exercising 6X/week for 60-90 min each.
  • MsLadybug
    Options
    I walk 40 mins to work (2.5Km) five times a week (mostly uphill!). I also walk home (another 2.5Km) probably 2-3 times a week. I do a couple of hours of gardening (weed pulling, digging etc) during the weekends.

I'm hoping to get a bike soon. I'm also determined to start doing my hour of bellydancing 3-4 times a week again.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week, I do cardio every day for 2hrs, sometimes extra depending on how i feel. I just started doing yoga as of last week on tues and thurs. Tomorrow i plan on trying water areobics. I usual rest on sundays but I think this sunday Im going to the high school track, and do the bleachers too!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A trainer once told me more cardio than 20-25 mins hurts you. I do 25 minutes,5 days a week. Then I do 30 mins of weights 3 times a week. I lost 30 lbs in 6 months about 2 years ago.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A trainer once told me more cardio than 20-25 mins hurts you. I do 25 minutes,5 days a week. Then I do 30 mins of weights 3 times a week. I lost 30 lbs in 6 months about 2 years ago.

My trainer tells me to do cardio and it doesnt hurt me at all.
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I started out working out 6 days a week for 30 minutes a day. I have moved up to 60 minutes 6 days a week. I tried doing two-a-days but I just don't have the time. I had pretty efficient weight loss with 30 minutes, but it really depends on what you are doing, not necessarily how long. My trainer's best words of wisdom to me have been that the body likes to take the path of least resistance so to see results you have to push it to take the past of more resistance. That means you need to SWEAT when you work out! I like getting the most out of my workout as I can even if it is only 30 minutes.
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started last week.... I bought the 30 day Shred DVD and Pilates DVD

I have heard great things about this DVD. It isn't for me, but a lot of people SWEAR by it!

I get too embarresed doing things like this in my home :embarassed: . I like being able to escape to my retreat and working out on the bowflex with my music turned up loud. :laugh:
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I like to push myself - especially in the beginning of a "change in routine" because i tend to be really impatient and want to see results fast (got to see that scale moving) what usually happens to me is that I have an unrealistic work out schedule and I don't stick to it. After hurricaine Ike last Sept, I lost my motivation (no power for like 3 weeks! and I am a DVD person so it was killer, meal planning went by the wayside giving way to what's easiest and convenient - power came back on and I had slipped back into the old way of eating and living, just like that. Needless to say I picked up 10lbs quickly.
    New year - new outlook. I quit beating myself up and dusted off my weights and DvDs, invested in some new one's (TourboJam max and 10 min trainer) to keep it fresh.
    Right now this is the gig : I get up every morning and do 30 minutes of cardio before I do anything else- period (i don't have kids) I don't even ask myself if I want to do it anymore ~ because even though I love how I feel when I'm done I never want to get started. I do love it though ~ once I'm doing it:happy:
    I brought my 10 min trainer and a 20 minute pilates/yoga dvd to work and i do that on my lunch hour in a rotation - so I get 20 minutes there. When I get home I do another 30 minutes of cardio w/ weights minimum 3 days a week (at least 1 of these I will push the 30 min to 63min). That's getting me moving to things I like for a minimum of 50min/day (not counting the evening workout) I want to this to be a lifestyle change that's lasting ~ making time to do something that's good for me. I'm worth it.
    So far on the journey, 73lbs gone another 35 to goal.
    Find what you and your body likes ~ mix it up and go for it.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I dont know. :tongue: Thats just what they told me. It doesnt mean they know what they are talking about!
  • Antzmumi430
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week. Mornings is when I do cardio 45mins muy thai, running, jump roping etc.
    Then in the evenings b4 dinner i strength train for 60 mins. free weights, pilates, ect.
    ive dropped 16lbs so far btw
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I do something 6-7 times a week. Monday - Friday I ride my bike 20-40 minutes in the morning. Tuesday-Thursday I swim laps for an hour, and I run 3-5 times a week between 20 - 60 minutes. The only way I could fit it all in is starting super early in the morning. We get up at 4:25 and ride until 5:00 am or so. At work I run during my lunch and on the weekend mornings, and then hit the pool after work before I go home. It was exhausting at first but now I can't imagine doing anything less.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I do something 6-7 days a week. today it was an hour of cardio. Yesterday I walked 2.5 miles and did bodypump. Some days it is two hours or more and today it wasn't. I try to get something in at least 6 days a week..even if it is just walking the dog briskly. I find that it makes me a happier person!