I joined to improve my running fitness

Options
I like long distance running. Tomorrow, I will run a half marathon. But in the last four or five years, I have put on about 15 pounds. Most people tell me I am not overweight, but I feel these pounds slowing me down. I don't want to seem vain. It is more about how I feel than how I look, and I don't feel as strong as I should. I can do the distance, but my times have slowed down a lot and I don't recover as well as I used to. I feel much more tired than I should, considering I have been doing long runs of ten miles or more every week since December.

I'm considering a marathon in the fall, and feel that I need to lose weight and become much stronger. So I found this website as a way to track my calories and workouts. Only thing is, the automatic settings recommend I have 1200 calories per day. I'm worried that's not enough, considering I do two shorter runs per week of 4-6 miles and one long run of 10 or more miles. Usually during the day, I'm at work, sitting at a computer. So I do a lot of sitting. But those runs keep me hungry! Does anyone have any advice about this? I'm 5'4", and 135 lbs, in my early 50s.

Replies

• liftinggoddess123
    liftinggoddess123 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try the c25k app that really helps me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try the c25k app that really helps me

:laugh: OP is running a half marathon, I don't think they need to do C25k!!!

Set your deficit to lose 0.5lb per week and eat back your running cals.
  • BarlowRunner
    BarlowRunner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both of you. Stacey, that's good advice. I'd like to lose more than a half pound a week, but since I've been having such a hard time losing anything, I'll take whatever I can achieve.
  • liftinggoddess123
    liftinggoddess123 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try mixed cardio spin class is also a good one
  • TheBadToe
    TheBadToe Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by get stronger... You should be exercising your core with some form of weights to maximize your potential. Plus combining strength training and cardio sends your metabolism through the roof. I am not talking about power lifting, but some kettle bells and planks will really help.
  • BarlowRunner
    BarlowRunner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Bad Toe. I know, deep down, that what you are saying is exactly right. Although I don't want to hear it because I hate strength training. But it's time to bite the bullet and just do it. I know I will be glad when I see the results.
  • cdow1124
    cdow1124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another runner here, love the half marathon distance, have done a marathon and an ultra. Ditto adding strength training, it really does help. I'm trying to both build my distance back up AND add in strength work after a long hiatus with a knee injury. Also try to make sure you're getting plenty of protein to help fuel those longer runs.