Thawing frozen fish

Options
I just noticed that the instructions on my individually vacuum-sealed cod fillets say to remove all packaging and thaw under refrigeration. I've always thawed them in the packaging, and cut the package open once thawed. I'm pretty sure the salmon I buy has the same instructions (which I similarly ignore every time). Why would removing the packaging first matter?

Replies

• Ptarmigan74
    Options
    Weird. I don't usually bother to thaw mine at all, since I am generally tossing it into something else rather than, say, grilling it. But I can't imagine why you'd need to remove the plastic first.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I thaw individually-wrapped 4-oz fillets in the package, in a bowl of cold water. Change the water a couple times over 15 minutes, and it's usually ready to go.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I thaw individually-wrapped 4-oz fillets in the package, in a bowl of cold water. Change the water a couple times over 15 minutes, and it's usually ready to go.

This is what I do too! Although, I only made fish the first time last night. Who knows... but mine tasted great! hahaha.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Some plastics can "bleed" chemicals when exposed to light and heat.

As much as I would like to believe that the product manufacturers are looking out for you, my cynical nature has trouble believing that is the reason for the instructions.

Maybe they think it will make the fish taste funky?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should do a side by side comparison test - thaw one with the package and one without. Then prepare both identically and do a taste test.

Yeah, I'll get right on that....
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should do a side by side comparison test - thaw one with the package and one without. Then prepare both identically and do a taste test.

Yeah, I'll get right on that....

I would like pictures and a full write up by the morning! :glasses:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I personally like to thaw fish in the package to keep it moist and the smell outta my fridge. Plus, when it thaws there is always fish water that I don't want splashing around, so I always open it up over the sink. Better control with the package on.