Thing's you have heard from others about your diet that are false or just tick you off.

Options

Replies

• JaydenLindsey420
    JaydenLindsey420 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »
    "How could you cut out carbs? I would be starving" :neutral: That's why I am me and you are you.... lol

I'm with you on that! I need my carbs to get through the day lol
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    "How could you cut out carbs? I would be starving" :neutral: That's why I am me and you are you.... lol

I think she was saying just the opposite of what you're saying (she has "cut out" carbs), but I'll agree with you and say that carbs are a definite staple in my diet :#
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it bugged me as much as it did, but just the other day a young lady commented that she wished she could eat "clean like I am" to lose weight. I don't eat clean, I eat crap but under calorie crap and I have explained it again and again when people bring up my weight loss.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    When someone asks how I'm doing it because they want to lose and I start explaining the simple formula and they pipe in with "Well, :insert family member: lost theirs by doing :insert random fad diet:" I often fantasize about punching them in the throat. Just me? alllright. :D

Nope... not just you... I had a friend tell me about some stupid patch she was wearing to help her lose weight... I made it obvious that I didn't care/believe in her "stupid-waste-of-money" method by rolling my eyes and looking away/occupying myself w/ another view of the room... eventually she realized that I was done listening when she slowly stopped talking...
    I would have preferred to punch her in the face but that's frowned upon... or so I hear.

It was stupid of her to tell me that story in the first place, she knows how I've lost the weight so why the H*LL would she think I'd be impressed with her "patch"?!
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When someone asks how I'm doing it because they want to lose and I start explaining the simple formula and they pipe in with "Well, :insert family member: lost theirs by doing :insert random fad diet:" I often fantasize about punching them in the throat. Just me? alllright. :D

This! Someone at work had me explain everything in great detail what was working for me. As soon as I told her she really needed to count her calories she said "Nope, I'm not going to do that." UGH!
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Nope... not just you... I had a friend tell me about some stupid patch she was wearing to help her lose weight... I made it obvious that I didn't care/believe in her "stupid-waste-of-money" method by rolling my eyes and looking away/occupying myself w/ another view of the room... eventually she realized that I was done listening when she slowly stopped talking...
    I would have preferred to punch her in the face but that's frowned upon... or so I hear.

It was stupid of her to tell me that story in the first place, she knows how I've lost the weight so why the H*LL would she think I'd be impressed with her "patch"?!

This! Someone at work had me explain everything in great detail what was working for me. As soon as I told her she really needed to count her calories she said "Nope, I'm not going to do that." UGH!

So glad to know I'm not alone.. lmao. I think it's mostly because I really do enjoy helping others with it, and anyone that asks better be ready for an earful because yes, I'm passionate about it.. but then there's "that" person lol
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

So glad to know I'm not alone.. lmao. I think it's mostly because I really do enjoy helping others with it, and anyone that asks better be ready for an earful because yes, I'm passionate about it.. but then there's "that" person lol

If people ask I pretty much just keep it short and simple... cuz I know once they hear what I actually do they won't care, cuz it's not some "fad diet" or "miracle pill"... and I'm not about to waste my breathe.

I do have one person who actually admires what I do and I will tell her and she always praises me and tells me she wishes she can be like me... now SHE gets the full story...
    She even jokingly asked me to log her food for her...
    I don't do that but I do hold on to her stash of cookies in my office so that she has to ask permission to eat the cookies, LOL (that was her idea BTW)!
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what I did to lose so much weight, I tell them I eat a pine cone every morning for breakfast for fiber, soaked in cat urine for the detoxing effects. More entertaining than watching them check out of my CI<CO story.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    " Are you sure you have any more weight to lose?!"

" Whats your secret?" And when I say I have counted my calories and done moderate exercise for over a year now, they do that "eyes glazing over" thing previously talked about.
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I finally hit onederland today, and this was my mom's response when I texted her: "well that just because you've been really good... just wait until you start falling off."

um... what?
    This coming from the lady who has tried any fad diet that has ever existed, only to be shocked when she gains the weight back. Sorry I annoyed you with my permanent and sustainable health choices. Jealous, much?
  • Kay_Fancy
    Kay_Fancy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    "You look so much better!" - yes, it is a compliment for right now, but you know what? I looked fine before as well asshat.

This one is always my least favourite and the closer I am to the person that says it (like my boyfriend's comment about how much better sex is now) the more it stings. I had to resist the urge of physical violence. it was hard.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That it's not sustainable. :)
  • JaydenLindsey420
    JaydenLindsey420 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »

I think she was saying just the opposite of what you're saying (she has "cut out" carbs), but I'll agree with you and say that carbs are a definite staple in my diet :#

you're right! my mistake i totally misread that. my apologies

• unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hahahahah oh this thread makes me happy - it's nice to see so many people get weird judgy comments.

I am vegan, HOLY WOW can you imagine?!

"I couldn't live without steak, bacon or cheese"
    I never asked you to!

"you have to be so careful about deficiencies when all you eat is salad"
    I actually loath salads, but you're right, the seeds nuts grains fruit and veggies probably put me at a similar deficiency as your hot dog.

"you must fart a lot eating beans, that's disgusting"
    do you even poop considering all the cheese you eat?

"you eat the weirdest food"
    yes, vegetables are so weird *giant eye roll*

I had a few coworkers at an old job who swore they never ate veg and I wondered...do they ever poop? Must explain the bad mood, lol. I don't understand how adults can brag about not eating fruits and veg.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have their own opinions and views of how someone should lose weight and what they are and are not doing right. Most of these people indulge very unhealthy lifestyles of their own though and it is very irritating to me when someone comments on what i need to do.

For example: my mom is about 300 pounds and she always makes meals that are not healthy. Most of the time, not to offend her cooking in anyway, I pick an alternative but then she goes on about how what she is making is not even unhealthy and i should eat it anyways. And how "one time won't hurt me"
    it irritates me because i wish she would support me with my health and understand that although one time indeed won't make an everlasting affect, but it does backtrack me and sends me in the opposite ways of my goals.

What are some things you have heard from others about dieting/weightloss/general health that really get on your nerves?

Some people (especially older people) can be set in their ways. If something is "home cooked" then it's good for you. :D Just stand your ground and they will get used to your way of eating over time when they see you are serious about it. For me, when I'm trying to lose weight I eat very small portion sizes so I don't turn anything down but I still watch what I eat and make sure they know I at least ate a little. I used to take salads with me to my mom's back when she was still alive if I knew she was going to have something unhealthy or that I knew I wouldn't be able to resist.
  • perkymommy
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    While I'm eating a chocolate bar "oh I guess you gave up on your diet"
    :D:D
  • perkymommy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    And I hate when people ask, "How did you lose the weight?" And I say, "Oh, I counted calories and got more exercise," you can practically see their eyes glaze over. Everyone wants to hear you name some celebrity fab diet; they don't like to hear the simplicity of it.

This is so true! If you make it sound simple by doing it all by yourself then, in their eyes, you suddenly turn in to this narcissistic, I want all the attention on me person just because you lost weight. I have gotten to where I don't even want to talk about my weight loss with certain people because I know they will turn it in to something negative out of jealousy. They can do the same thing I did if they want. I didn't do anything spectacular or hard.
  • myuncake
    myuncake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "isn't she so lucky?" (yep, all this logging is pure luck...)
    "I want whatever pill she's taking!" (from my own mother, no less, in front of her friends.)
    "you must be running so much." (nope, not a step. not even at my last 5k.)

:neutral:

and +1 on the people who just stop listening after you tell them your 'secret' is logging and weighing literally everything that goes in your mouth. everyone who has asked me that has been so excited to talk to me about it until I tell them what it is and their smiles fade almost instantly. it makes me kind of sad, actually.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!