Lift with a buddy or by yourself

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
Wondering if you have better success lifting by yourself or with another person. I can see pros and cons to both, just wondering if the second person would slow you down or not?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It depends on many factors. Sometimes lifting with someone helps and sometimes it slows you down. I've lifted with people who were very dedicated to the workout and it went great to have someone else there spotting. I've lifted with people who can't stop talking long enough to do their set, which slowed everything down.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I always lift by myself (home gym.) Once upon a time my husband and I tried to lift together and it was a big fat failure because the difference in the amount we lift, our height difference (needing to move squat stand up and down), and the fact that he hates lifting. I would have liked it to work because I think he could have great results lifting but that's beside the point. I can't imagine attempting to exercise with anybody else so I don't think that buddy work is in my future :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Depends.

For me it works best with someone of similar size and strength. Someone who you don't have to swap weights out with as you guys take turns and spot one another.

It does take longer, but some days having a partner gives me that extra motivational boost.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i prefer to lift with someone, i can make much better progress when we can spot and encourage each other.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I lift on my own. I am in my own world & don't look or talk to anyone unless I have to... :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    By myself. No interruptions. I'm busy pretending I am she-hulk.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    By myself, not distractions, not interruptions, not desire to strike up conversation, which allows me to be totally focused on the lifts. Only time I would appreciate a partner would be doing heavy bench and squats but that's just to spot. I can find someone in my gym at the time I go if necessary. Having a partner can get me out of the zone and slows down my pace.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    By myself
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've done both...

usually by myself unless my husband joins me which doesn't happen enough.

I prefer by myself tho...no weight changes, I can sit with my thoughts...it's my zone.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I've done both...

usually by myself unless my husband joins me which doesn't happen enough.

I prefer by myself tho...no weight changes, I can sit with my thoughts...it's my zone.

Exactly! I have a home gym, so I am, fortunately, usually lifting by myself. On very rare occasion, my husband joins me.

I prefer the solitude and the chance to pretend I'm Super Woman.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lift with a coach, and the world will be your oyster.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I lift on my own. I am in my own world & don't look or talk to anyone unless I have to... :)

What this guy said.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    All my friends that lift go to other gyms. One periodically gets guest passes from lifetime so I might lift with him 1-2 times per year.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Spotter - for safety when I play around in the RPM grounds.
    Meatheads shouting to each other to push those last couple of reps in.
    Otherwise - very loud heavy metal and screw anyone else around me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I prefer by myself. But I adore my Saturday morning bench crew sessions. Nothing better.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I've done both, prefer alone.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »

what he said!

by myself or with my trainer (once a week) when I had one. I do not enjoy working out with other people. I have my plan and I know what I need to do so I'd rather just get it done. no distractions or interruptions (or talkative people :/)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I need someone to smack my bottom after each set.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I lift alone. Even when my husband comes with me to the gym, we do our own thing.