30 LBS to lose, help !!!

Options
Hey everyone . I started out at 217 and im down to 190 (well the scale is fluctuatin between 188.5 - 190 ) . My goal weight is 160 lbs. I'm 5'10 so i feel that 160 pounds is a healthy realistic goal. My calorie intake is 1200 and i workout almost everyday with weight training and a bit of cardio. I feel like I may be hitting a plateau , i was averaging 1-2 pounds per week since february and now I have been sitting at 190 for two weeks which has me very worried. I am terrified of gaining my weight back. Ive been working at building muscle - which i know weighs more than fat but , i would like to be down to 160 and very toned. Maybe i should be watching what I am eating more? Does anybody have some tips to really push me through these last 30 lbs ? How can i further my weight loss ?

Replies

• AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating healthy but maybe I am eating the wrong foods ? I have treat from time to time. Last night I ate popcorn and this morning when i saw i was back up to 190 i almost started to cry.
  • __butterfly
    __butterfly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do an hour of cardio and find it is helping. Elliptical with added resistance is my favorite.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hows your logging? Are you using a food scale? Using accurate entries? Using the recipe builder? Calculating exercise calories correctly if you eat them back? Two weeks is not a plateau but if you're not losing logging accuracy is always a good place to start.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    How much salt did you put on the popcorn? Probably water weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hows your logging? Are you using a food scale? Using accurate entries? Using the recipe builder? Calculating exercise calories correctly if you eat them back? Two weeks is not a plateau but if you're not losing logging accuracy is always a good place to start.

This. But also, you are not building muscle whilst eating at a deficit and it doesn't weigh more than fat, it is denser, therefore takes up less space. You are likely losing muscle in fact, as your goal is quite aggressive, even with the strength training (if in fact you are accurately tracking calories).

Also, was the popcorn salted? Can easily make you retain water and make it look like you gained.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    Did not put any salt on my popcorn. Maybe i should try to cut out all the treats. Right now im averaging about 3 unhealthy treats per week. Example would be cheesecake, popcorn, and kitkat bites. Which could completely ruin the entire week right ? Although my portions are small. I do my best to stay away from unhealthy junk. I just really want these pounds gone forever !!
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    Well , the popcorn was bagged orville smart pop, it was a mini bag and had 100 calories. I can't remember the last time i ate before last night so maybe that cause a little trouble for me.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    What you eat doesn't matter for weight loss (nutrition is a different matter, particularly on 1200 calories at your height), calories are all that matters. I have had a little cake bar and chips today but I'm within goal so it will have no impact on my losses.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Did not put any salt on my popcorn. Maybe i should try to cut out all the treats. Right now im averaging about 3 unhealthy treats per week. Example would be cheesecake, popcorn, and kitkat bites. Which could completely ruin the entire week right ? Although my portions are small. I do my best to stay away from unhealthy junk. I just really want these pounds gone forever !!

Don't recommend cutting out foods at all unless you simply cannot help but binging on them. As long as you're logging your food accurately, fit your snacks and such into your calorie goal and you're fine. You get to eat more veggies than you do candy, but I'd slap the first person that tried to take chocolate away from me completely.

Keep in mind too that just because the package says it should weight XYZ, doesn't mean it should. Weigh out your popcorn just like you would your meat and veg.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    weight loss is also not linear so you wont always lose 1-2 lbs every week.some weeks you may not lose anything.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    At your stats, 1200 cal/day is not enough to fuel your body for everyday life much less workouts on top of it. I would re-do your #s and recalculate your daily intake. You need to fuel your body properly. You may see a bump up a pound or two of water weight from the extra food, but then your scale should start moving again.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    But also, you are not building muscle whilst eating at a deficit and it doesn't weigh more than fat, it is denser, therefore takes up less space. You are likely losing muscle in fact, as your goal is quite aggressive, even with the strength training (if in fact you are accurately tracking calories).
    weight loss is also not linear so you wont always lose 1-2 lbs every week.some weeks you may not lose anything.

These folks said what I would say. Food scale. Patience.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    I am just so eager to get these pounds off. Ive done really good so far but, i am also a very impatient person. Which is not a good thing lol. I know loosing weight takes time and I get expect the scale to drop so drastically so quickly either. I just think it is getting harder :(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the less weight you have to lose the slower it is for most people. so you have to learn to be patient.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing all the right things, but plateaus blow. It might take a while, but if you keep on keeping on, the weight will come off. BTW, a good motivator might be to compare your measurements when you began to now. It will feel good to see it!
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    I guess im not doing anything wrong then ??? Ive been eating mostly healthy , working out 3-5 times a week but, sometimes i don't log my exercise. Also Sometimes when i am bored , i get hunger feelings but i chose not to eat until my next meal ( i try to eat six times a day ) , i am not starving my self. Ive been successful eating 1200 calories a day.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Are you eating any of your exercise calories? 1200 calories is starving yourself at your height, regardless of hunger you do or don't feel.

You also haven't confirmed whether you are weighing your solids on a food scale and measuring your liquids in cups or a jug?

Did you put the weight on quickly? As quickly as you're expecting to lose it? Fast is not necessarily better. You lose muscle when you lose weight, it's inevitable. Muscle not only makes you look good but organs are muscles too, your heart for example. The body can only metabolise so much fat stores per day, then it moves to muscle.

I have a little less than you left to lose and I am set to 1lb per week. I average exactly that. Average. Because I do not drop 1lb at 9am every Monday. It isn't about looking good for one summer, it's about looking good and being healthy for every summer for the rest of my life.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    I do not weigh my food , i don't have a food scale.... what else could i use ??? I put on the weight over a stretch of 2 years. I only started to loose weight in February and since then im down 25 pounds which maybe isn't that fast.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Only a food scale is accurate, a digital one isn't expensive. I can almost guarantee you are eating more than you think.

25lbs in a little more than two months is very fast considering where you started, even accounting for a water weight whoosh. I've lost 47lbs and am a week away from a year of logging (I have taken a couple of breaks too). It took two years to gain the weight but you think you can lose it in a few months?
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    I am very determined and motivated, i can do this. I know i need to start being more patient.