College Student. Where do I start?

Options
Heartss62
Heartss62 Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys! I'm a Freshman in college (obviously) My name is Asia Grant. I will be sharing so good food tips that can be found around campus. (because being on a diet as a college student is really hard if you can't reguarly cook your own food) feel free to introduce yourselfs and even your tips and tricks! Thank you! I hope we can achieve together!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You already started by joining MFP.

Next, you should read through the various stickies to get an understanding of how MFP works.

As a college student, I assume you are eating at a buffet-style cafeteria? If yes, you may want to consider getting a food scale to bring with you and weigh your food. That will help accuracy tremendously compared to eye-balling it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Weigh and track all your food!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Hi Hearts. My tip is to choose a sensible calorie goal. How much weight would you like to lose?
  • eab40726
    eab40726 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie! Fellow college student here! I used MFP my freshmen year and it really helped me be more aware of what I was eating along with how frequently or not I was working out.
    Definitely take use of a salad bar if any are available, things like cottage cheese or yogurt are better sides than something like fries. If you go to breakfast or even eat in your room, oatmeal fills you up for a substantial amount of time. I know schools vary on how many/what types of fruits they provide but fresh fruits are good as well along with maybe taking a banana or orange back with you to class or your room to be an option later on (idk how lenient your school is on that). Schools generally offer at least one veggie side dish as well, along with once again, hitting up the salad bar for broccoli or cucumbers.
    For snacks in your room you can always buy nuts, certain types of granola bars, yogurt, fruits, peanut butter, rice cakes. Really it seems restricting at first but you learn what you like and what works
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm a postgraduate students in a uni..

I plan my main meal for the entire week and cook lunch/dinner that can give me at least the next 3 days without cooking, only reheating and bring my lunchbox to uni. (at the same time, i save a lots of money by cooking my own meal instead of buying them :wink: )

Once in a while, I do eat around the campus, i find that choosing the 'healthier' version of food helps to lower the calorie of the food (which means i get to eat more) e.g most of the time, instead of fried, i usually choose either roasted/stew/soup/grilled chicken, beef or fish and always have plenty of veggies as well..with rice of course.. lol.. but that because i love rice. :wink:

If u haven't read this thread yet, do read it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Not food related, but look into what your school offers as far as gym memberships and exercise classes. My school you had to pay for a gym membership but there were plenty of free group exercise classes every week.