Thing's you have heard from others about your diet that are false or just tick you off.

Options

Replies

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

For example: my mom is about 300 pounds and she always makes meals that are not healthy. Most of the time, not to offend her cooking in anyway, I pick an alternative but then she goes on about how what she is making is not even unhealthy and i should eat it anyways. And how "one time won't hurt me"
    it irritates me because i wish she would support me with my health and understand that although one time indeed won't make an everlasting affect, but it does backtrack me and sends me in the opposite ways of my goals.

What are some things you have heard from others about dieting/weightloss/general health that really get on your nerves?

Literally the opposite of this is what irks me. Anytime we're out for supper with the family, my MIL (who lost her motivation in her own weight loss) consistently comments throughout the entire meal about how the food were eating isn't healthy and how will I ever survive? Also that I should have brought my own meal so I don't sabotage myself, oh? you're having a bun with your supper? I wish i could eat whatever and lose weight...and so on...Literally, a comment for every food item I take.

Everytime I feel like a broken record:
    No, I didn't bring my own food.
    Yes, I'm going to eat and enjoy your meal.
    Yes, I'm going to have dessert.
    No, I'm not going to gain everything back from one meal.
    No, I can't eat anything I want/in any quantity and lose weight.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just hate the word "diet" it places limitation on any discussion I have with friends or family because they automatically assume that I am going to fail, yet again. Those attitudes used to affect me into failure, but not anymore...I have turned them into ammunition and determination to continue this permanent "lifestyle".
  • ArielleMarieB
    ArielleMarieB Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Almost the same as yours. My grandmother is 350 and "watches her sugars and carbs" because she's diabetic. I was eating a nutrigrain bar and she went on and on how to many sugar and carbs and im like, don't you think healthier than the 2 fried eggs, bacon, and 2 rye bread dripping in butter that you eat every morning? Her answer was no.
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    'You're too skinny' I really don't know what that means anymore. I can only answer 'no, I've been tested' or the occasional cookie...are you actually going to eat that? Do you know what's in it? Yep I do, better than most whats in the food I eat. Or how bout this one...that looks good (some menu item or social media post) but it's not in my diet. I think of diet as a temporary thing, like tapering off before a run or mega lifters right before a competition...why would you start with that word? It's not a permanent state. All these things make me dig my heals in just that much more.

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My mom always asks me how I lost the weight and when I give the simple calories in and out answer she immediately finishes with "how much do you think nutrisystem costs? I know people lose weight with that".

ARE YOU LISTENING?
  • leilbobeil
    leilbobeil Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have a problem, but sometimes people bring donuts into work and of course I want to try some. I will cut one in half or quarter just to taste and satisfy the desire, but there is a girl in my office who is constantly like "You can't do that...but you were doing so well...don't do it". I try to tell her that a quarter of a donut won't derail me, in fact it might be a good thing. At least I can satisfy that want and I won't sit up in my office fixated on it and the overindulge when I get home.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're losing too much weight.
    You're going to change once you lose all of that.
    You're making yourself sick.
    You look terrible.

Heard them all. Will never get over any of them.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    "YOLO. Try it, it's homemade" No, it's not homemade. It's pillsbury cinnamon rolls that you stuffed in a bundt pan, and I agree that you only live once, but pillsbury is not special. "You're so lucky this is easy for you." No, it's not that easy. I've worked hard and planned a lot to get where I am. "You're getting too skinny, it can't be healthy." I'm smack in the middle of my healthy BMI and my bloodwork is perfect. "Just wait til you hit menopause. It'll all come piling back on." STFU. I hate you.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's an example of just one annoying conversation I had this week with a coworker:

Dude: would you like something from the vending machine?
    Me: no thanks, just finished a delicious Coke Zero (immediately regretting my decision to inform them of what I was drinking)
    Dude: you know, it's actually HEALTHIER to drink regular Coke than diet.
    Me: Not really.
    Dude #2 randomly chimes in: OH YES IT IS!
    Dude: It really is! Do you know how many CHEMICALS are in that? You're way better off having natural sugar in regular soda.
    Me: I really love it when people who have no concern for their own health, suddenly want to judge everyone else's. Do you have any idea how much sucralose a person would have to ingest for it to have a negative affect on their body?
    Dude: Well I get your point, but you could just drink water!
    Me: and I do, for the majority of my liquid intake. And this is one of two "diet" drinks I've had in a month. So you have no idea what is "healthy" for me.

Both dudes mentioned are slightly overweight and regularly indulge in chips, candy, cookies, fast food, soda, etc.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't get 'irked' but it is amusing when people tell me how I'm wrong.
    My general response is,
    "Right on... Hey, raise your hand if you've lost over 80 pounds!" *I raise my own hand.* "Oh, just me? No one else here has lost over 80 pounds? Huh...that's SO odd!"

You... you I like, LOL!

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    My general response is,
    "Right on... Hey, raise your hand if you've lost over 80 pounds!" *I raise my own hand.* "Oh, just me? No one else here has lost over 80 pounds? Huh...that's SO odd!"

I am so stealing that. . . Lol!!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My general response is,

Here's the perfect response!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I exercise regularly, eat healthy and live in an area where most people are very obese from a young age. I've heard it all. ' Health nut', 'lucky you have such a high metabolism', 'I don't know how you find the time', 'should you be eating that?', 'I don't know why you bother when you are already skinny', etc.

None of it bothers me. I just smile, and answer honestly if it's a question.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose any weight" - Ummm...I was over 300 lbs at the time, and I think in no world, unless I was a literal giant, would that be in a good range. I know I'm tall and usually look less than what I weigh, but seriously?

Constant "Have you tried X?" "I've heard X is good for weight loss" "You're not supposed to do X or Y or Z after this time" - that's nice, but I've lost 65 pounds on my own just logging what I eat and going for long walks, thanks.

Also got a snarky comment from a waitress once when I went out to eat and it was unplanned so I had my phone checking for calories real quick. Stuff about dependency on technology. Welllll...if you'd rather list your calories on your menu, I wouldn't have to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Why get ticked off? If someone saw me eating a thigh from KFC and said "You eat that?" I keep eating and then just flex. Problem solved.
    People care too much about what other people think about them. The thought should be "how does this person's view of me REALLY improve my life in any way?" If it doesn't, they why waste time thinking about them? They are just looking for a reaction from you and when you give it to them, then they got what they wanted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My general response is,

Cute. :) Though I wouldn't be able to raise my hand. It's not bad to have never needed to lose 80 lbs. But I would never tell you you're doing it wrong.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Another thing that really annoyed me was someone asking how I lost weight. I brought up calorie counting, but they were only interested in exercise. As soon as I said I did run, they insisted that was the primary reason I lost.

Aaaaah, I hate this. I have one girlfriend who insists that the only reason I lost weight is because I started running. I only would run once or twice a week (I should start again), my weightloss happened because I stopped eating so much junk. But that would be too boring, and she does not want to give up her chips and soda.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!