Slim fast

Options
Hi folks, new to this since the beginning of Jan. I wanted a quick kick start so have been doing slim fast the whole month and using MFP to track my intake.
The app says my calories should be 1600 per day. On slim fast they say 1200, so I'm eating 1200ish per day, some days more active than others. Weight loss so far is 3kg.

Has anyone else used slim fast? I lile the shakes and bars as they are quick but I'm wondering about eating up to 1600 to help with the weight loss now.

I'm sure my shape has changed as I'm two notches down on my belt and tops and jeans that weren't fitting now do.

I'd like to lose 10kg more realistically

Thoughts?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Ditch the slim fast, eat real food. Stick to the target calorie goal MFP has assigned you assuming you entered all your info in correctly.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend you not do this. You can't "kick start" your metabolism. Just start on your calorie counting journey. Your better bet is to get a food scale and practice weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth, and logging faithfully. This is where the real results will happen. Using Slim Fast isn't going to help you learn anything about a calorie controlled diet regimen.
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I strongly recommend you not do this. You can't "kick start" your metabolism. Just start on your calorie counting journey. Your bevtter bet is to get a food scale and practice weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth, and logging faithfully. This is where the real results will happen. Using Slim Fast isn't going to help you learn anything about a calorie controlled diet regimen.

This is realistic
  • elishahargreaves5
    elishahargreaves5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've used slim fast in the past and for me it really worked.. i say u know your body so go with what you think. Everyone is different :)
  • 94kelly
    94kelly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing slim fast now and while I know it's not the healthiest it works for me and my life.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Can you make your own whole foods smoothie instead of a commercial product?
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    lineyrower wrote: »
    Hi folks, new to this since the beginning of Jan. I wanted a quick kick start so have been doing slim fast the whole month and using MFP to track my intake.
    The app says my calories should be 1600 per day. On slim fast they say 1200, so I'm eating 1200ish per day, some days more active than others. Weight loss so far is 3kg.

Has anyone else used slim fast? I lile the shakes and bars as they are quick but I'm wondering about eating up to 1600 to help with the weight loss now.

I'm sure my shape has changed as I'm two notches down on my belt and tops and jeans that weren't fitting now do.

Thoughts?

It will cause more harm than good on the long haul. Eat healthy food count your calories do some steady pace cardio at least 3 times a week. Try a 16-8 intermittent fasting. It's not a diet but a way of healthy living. Do that and you should safely lose 1-1.5kg a week.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    lineyrower wrote: »

Thoughts?

It will cause more harm than good on the long haul. Eat healthy food count your calories do some steady pace cardio at least 3 times a week. Try a 16-8 intermittent fasting. It's not a diet but a way of healthy living. Do that and you should safely lose 1-1.5kg a week.

Intermittent fasting is no better or worse than any other way of eating.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    SlimFast works because its a low-calorie diet. SlimFast is hard because (1) it leaves most people ravenously hungry (way too large a caloric deficit) and (2) it teaches you nothing at all about the lifelong portion control habits you need to keep the weight off.

There's nothing wrong with drinking a shake if you like it as part of your nutritional plan. Personally, I think real food tastes a whole lot better.
  • TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm only just starting my weight loss journey compared to others however I have benifited from slimfast. I did it strictly for the first two weeks. I needed to see some quick results to keep motivation high and whilst I got the hang of logging and measuring everything out.

Personally I have found the shakes very filling. On a 1200 ish cal diet, I found one a day and a good multivitamin made it easier to get close to my nutrient target (two a day made no difference). Whilst I'm phasing slimfast out mostly, the Caffè latte for breakfast might stay as I have yet to find a real food breakfast alternative that not only fills me up but satisfies the latte cravings as well.

Also as I needed to eat back exercises calories the shakes were less useful as I didn't need to go so low. I'm still not very good at this yet

Increasingly I look at them as another food choice within my calorie target, sometimes they are handy sometimes not.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Several things always pop into my head when I read posts about things like Slim Fast, etc.

1. There is always a poster who says : "I have been on (insert product here) on and off for three years and it works!". Well.. if it really worked you would not still need to be on the product unless you had a lot to lose and have not reached goal yet. This comment points to the fact that the person most likely lost weight while on the product , but then gained it back, thus having to go back on the product.

2. Then the poster who says: " I have been on (insert product here) for a month and it is really helping! Hmmm... maybe the fact that you are now at a calorie deficit is what is helping and not the product?
  • mndimichele
    mndimichele Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 month old baby and working on losing the weight. I am currently doing the 321 plan with Slim Fast. It has been working pretty well for me. I have been doing it for 61/2 weeks now. Taking weekends off to restart my metabolism and I have already lost 14 lbs. I do a shake at breakfast. I work night shift, so my husband and I have a good meal together around 500-600 calories at lunch time. Then for dinner I have a meal bar. In between all that I eat fruit/nuts/veggies and sometimes treat myself to the Slim Fast Snacks. The real key is drinking a lot of water through out the day. Hope this helps.
  • janderson19_1
    janderson19_1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually have one Slim-Fast shake a day (usually lunch), and I eat around 1500 calories. I stay home with two kids under 2 years old, so it's a good, quick meal. I like to save calories for a good dinner with my husband. I've consistently seen my weight go down.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I used the products in the beginning of my journey and lost weight pretty good. I stopped using them though and opted for a big bowl of oatmeal topped with fruit instead. Saved a lot of money by just eating real foods.